What are you supposed to do if....?

JamesSmith

I've been stumped for the last 3 years or so. I don't like being around people for the majority of the time, even people that I call my friends. I usually feel uncomfortable, anxious, sad, lonely (yes, when around people), bored and I don't feel like I fit in.

So, using logic, I should avoid being around people because I don't like it and it is making me feel bad. Many may disagree with that, but look at all the problems I listed that I have when around people. You people that disagree, answer me this, why should I do something I've done for years and hate doing?

The next part of my problem is that I also don't like being alone, and I'm sure many know the reasons for this: loneliness, depression, boredom; mostly reasons I don't like being around people for some reason.

I have two options in life, to be around people, or not to be around people. What am I to do if I don't like either option? It seems I'm stuck with unhappiness either way.

coyote

that's just it - you can't rationalize the irrational

that's why these things are referred to as mental or emotional disorders

they stand in the way of normal functioning

LazyHermitCrab

How about a mix of both? I know how you feel like, im trying to find a good balence. Right now, trying something social about once a week and then hang out by myself after work and school days. Also a day alone each week completely. Just formulate a balence for yourself.

R3K

there is no third option, just a balance of the two. you have to either endure being around people, endure being lonely, or find/create a balance of the two.

there is no third option, just a balance of the two. you have to either endure being around people, endure being lonely, or find/create a balance of the two.

Yeah, this. I try to balance those. How hard it may be to endure being around people.... just can't be alone for too long. In general i try to endure life itself.

Mickery

If you felt like you fitted in, the rest of the symptoms would likely disappear. I don't think your problem is people, I think it's not being comfortable with people.

Srijita52

I completely agree with everyone. Balance seems the only option.I'm also like you,I get exhausted around ppl but also get depressed if I'm alone too much.So I try to keep things balanced,like if I do something social on Friday I HAVE TO spent the entire day Saturday by myself.