Was nearly punched in the face

JRT

I can't believe it::(:

I only raised my voice a bit at my brother ( i put cleaner down the loo and thought my bro was gonna flush it, i said 'DON'T flush it! )

He bloody lost it and shouted at me ' Don't you dare raise your voice at me!!....' and he put his fist back as if he was gonna punch me ::(: I was very scared and upset.
But he didnt punch me

I may have snapped a bit but theres was no need to react the way he did.

We said sorry to each other and then he ranted on and on how he's the only decent person in our family ( i don't think so) and ranted on for about 2 hours after that just dwelling on it ..uurrghhh sorry i know im ranting ...

What worries me is ,he often says ' I know im right about everything'

Is that arrogant? I know hes under some stress but this incendent really took me back to when i was with my now ex, and when he used to raise his fist and shout and belittle me...
No wonder i don't like people .

Thing is he makes you feel guilty too cos he's helping me move house and i could never do it on my own ....so in a way i can't say too much cos 'he is always right about things'

What a life ive got

DeadmanWalking

I think learning self-defense would be best for you. It's empowering and can help you if your brother should ever decide to go through with it. Try not to raise your voice at people, but don't lie down and accept punishment you don't deserve. Maybe you can cut your brother out of your life after this moving is finished if you want.

WeirdyMcGee

Is your brother a teenager going through puberty?

I think it's best to try and look as this as; he over-reacted about something silly, you over reacted as well and no physical harm was done...
Although if you were scared, some degree of self defense or even being more physical could help you with your confidence in the future.

MrSunday

Your not alone.

Someone threw food at me today when I was waiting at the bus stop and it hit me in the eye.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I think learning self-defense would be best for you. It's empowering and can help you if your brother should ever decide to go through with it. Try not to raise your voice at people, but don't lie down and accept punishment you don't deserve. Maybe you can cut your brother out of your life after this moving is finished if you want.

This.

Also, about your question if that's arrogant... it sure is. Nobody's right about everything. Your brother's got some issues :/

What worries me is ,he often says ' I know im right about everything'
Is that arrogant? I know hes under some stress ... raise his fist and shout and belittle me
Everyone has a snapping point, and most people find it hard to deal with criticism gracefully. With arrogant, always-right people, and especially narcisists, their archilles-heel is criticism or being made to feel that they're somehow in the wrong. They can't handle the possibiity that they could ever be at fault (as they are constantly trying to believe they are perfect with regards to that), which means such an event creates a major discrepancy in their mind, and they are in serious danger of snapping (exploding in anger/rage).

Like with domineering people (type-A-wannabe's), who often have the arrogance/etc described above, you have to tread VERY CAREFULLY, so as not to trigger their anger. Such as letting them BELIEVE/FEEL that they are top-dog, in-control, always right, etc ... and NEVER confronting them about such things, as they are not "mature" enough to be able to talk sensibly about it, but it will usually just trigger their aggressive defence mechanisms.

In order to "keep the peace", one must accept that in their minds, they are always right (they use all manner of defensive thoughts so they can feel that). Mind you, there's different versions of "right" - morally, contextual, correctness, exactness,... (ie they may be mistaken about sth yet internally are believing they ARE correct about it (denial), or they might say sth right (true/factual) but in a rude/tactless way (which is "wrong" as upsets you), etc). Interesting stuff this is...

Last edited: