Veteran's Day

KnuffleBunny

November 11th in the USA is Veteran's Day, originally created to show remembrance and thanks to military veterans. I thought maybe to sort of honor it we could mention people we've known in the military as a thank you. You don't have to be American to mention a veteran of course; nationality is no matter. And if you are one, go ahead and mention it!

My grandfather on my mother's side was in the Navy during The Korean War. I never grew up knowing this man at all, so I never heard any stories about it.

My grandfather who I did grow up with, my father's father, was in the Coast Guard during WW2. When I got older he told me how his ship's job was to clean up after battles. A certain disturbing incident during clean up stayed with him for a very long time. Every day the place they were docked got bombed, sometimes hit, sometimes missed and he wrote several letters to my grandmother while he was out. When asked what I wanted to have in their will, I specifically asked for these letters and his duffel bag; family history is not replaceable.

My ex, the father of my son, is a Coast Guard/Marine veteran of The Gulf War who spent a lot of his time stationed in Egypt on the same boat for a long time. He had several injuries and has seen combat, including an attack by a fellow soldier who lost his sanity.

My great-uncle was also a veteran who I believe was in WW2. He was actually stationed on a famous ship but it's been a while since I thought of it, so the memory of it's not really there. When my son was a few months old, we attended his funeral. From what I understand he was an exceedingly kind man.

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

Yes~ it's Veteran's week this week and Remembrance day today.

There have been no family members in the military for the last 3 generations but my great grandfather fought in WW2 and received several medals, stars and badges of honor.
He had nightmares and shell shock right up until the day he died on my 6th birthday.
In a short time of fighting, he earned himself a life of pain and fought through everything to raise his family the best he could.
I was named after him and will always look up to him as a selfless hero.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
My grandfather on my mother's side served in WWII as a sniper until he got his trigger finger shot off.

I've never met him in person, but I'd like to raise my coffee cup to coyote because I know he's risked his life during his service as a marine.

Last edited:

coyote

my father served in the Navy during the Korean Conflict - my uncles served in WWII seeing combat in the Pacific

their father was in the Army - wounded on the fields of France during WWI

my mother's father was an army artillery officer during WWI

his father fought alongside Teddy Roosevelt in Cuba during the Spanish-American War

his father was in the Union cavalry during the American Civil War - lost an eye during the Battle of Chattanooga

ancestors on both sides of the family fought in the American Revolution (on the American side), as well as the French & Indian War

i salute them all

also, a salute to PipsMcclawski for his service in the Air Force and to fitftw for his service in the Navy

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I had an uncle who passed when I was very young, and is rarely brought up at home. Recently I did some research and found out that he was a marine. There's a photo of a man in uniform on my grandfathers wall who I never recognized, the picture looked to recent to be of my grandfather who also served. I realize it must be of him. My mother, his sister, was very close to him and his death was not easy for her. From what I know his last years were not good, and I hope he's doing better know where ever he may be.

I've never understood patriotism much, and always feel odd when holidays such as this come up. A chance to remember those who are now gone is an opportunity I will always take though.

Tiercel

Dad was in the Air Force in the early '70s; he pretty much just stitched up guys after accidents, brawls, etc. Granddad was a gunner on a B-29, and I think seeing Tokyo in flames affected him for the rest of his life. Grandpop was in the Navy, and by the time he got in theater the Japanese had surrendered. Both of my grandfathers died before I got interested in WWII, so I don't have much to go on. :(

I also have two uncles who went to Vietnam, and a great-grandfather who went to France in WWI. And I've grown up on a street that's named for a hometown boy who was killed in WWI.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I've never understood patriotism much, and always feel odd when holidays such as this come up. A chance to remember those who are now gone is an opportunity I will always take though.

For me, Veteran's Day isn't really about patriotism. It's simply that if it weren't for those who serve in the military risking life and limb, etc, the rest of us would be screwed. It's just appreciation for those guys.

It isn't about how awesome America is or something, or yay government--the fact is I strongly disagree with most of the cases where our government actually uses the military (any non-defensive ones, in a nutshell). But oddly enough the men and women risking their lives are never the ones making those decisions.