U R a looser!

Nicholas

Hey guys,
I'm bored, confused and almost feeling depressed again, I don't know what to do and I'm back here in this corner of the net, so I'm starting this stupid random thread. I might start some others in the following days, to share my thoughts, since I expect to feel... weird in the near future. Let's cross our fingers. No, sorry, just my fingers, you don't need to cross yours for me, LOL :D

My thoughts now. You can comment on this.

If we want to stop feeling bad, we need to change. Change what? If you need to change the way you act and the way you think, what do you actually need to change? You need to change your personality. Yes, at the end of the day, that's exactly what people like us need to change. It is NOT easy, because it might well be impossible. But if we don't change at least a little, then nothing good will happen... we will always be this way, miserable. So how can a person try to change their personality? There are two ways:
1) giving prizes: if you give the dog a cookie, he'll do what you want.
2) punishment: if you punish the dog, he won't do what you don't want him to do.

Now, this is to motivate yourself. If you follow the first approach, then you should "think of the prize" to get motivated: think of the friends you will have, think of the boyfriend or girlfriend you will have, think of when you will feel well or at least better, and you'll be happy, or at least much happier than now.
If you follow the second approach, then you should think of the punishment to get motivated: think that in ten years nothing will have changed, look at yourself and what you are doing now, and imagine what is going to change... which is nothing, it is likely get worse actually, so imagine yourself in the future, too old to do anything, suicidal, with lots of dreams but no time left for anything, envious, angry, miserable, thinking of what you could have done but you didn't do it, and now it's really too late, because you can't get your time back. In one year... thinking what could I have done? In five years... in ten years.... what will you have done?

That's what I thought about. But I realized that the first approach doesn't work well. It's what everyone wants us to follow... they want to motivate us "positively", they want us to feel "optimistic". But for some reason I think that approach doesn't work very well. Because it is easy to make the mistake of being too optimistic, and then find ourself disappointed. When you think of "having friends", "being successful" etc and then you realize you are not going to get those "prizes" easily, then you go back to depression. As usual.
But if you follow the other approach, and then look back at the "little" results you have gotten, and think "hey, this is better than nothing", then it's gonna work better. If you motivate yourself by scaring yourself....

Social anxiety, phobias, etc, all changed our personalities... they really did it. But how? If they did, then it's possible to change our personalities, right? Well, phobias changed our personalities by scaring us. So change yourself the same way too. Scare yourself, get a new phobia: the loser-phobia. You should be scared of remaining a loser and still be the same in one, three, ten years. Imagine yourself in the future... and get scared. What do you see? Scare yourself daily, and let this new fear motivate you and change your personality. Instead of doing nothing, or doing "irrational" things you don't really want do, try to change.

Don't focus on any "prizes". Don't expect anything from the world. Don't imagine the prizes, don't obsess on how close you are getting to those prizes. Prizes make you depressed, because 99% of them are only going to exist in your mind. Instead, do the opposite. Imagine what a loser you might ever become, and obsess on how far you are getting from that kind of person you don't want to be. Little by little.

Interesting thoughts Nicholas.

I've always been taught that positive reinforcement works better than negative, but this may work for some people.

Personally though, I'd rather not live a life with fear as a motivator. I agree that we shouldn't "expect" anything from the world... I think the key is in setting small (but not too small) realistic goals for ourselves, that are perhaps not based on what we want from the world, but what we want from ourselves and what we want to contribute to the world. I think that what needs to change is not our personalities, but our attitudes and beliefs about ourselves and the world around us.

madmike

Yeah, very insightful!

I second lurknomore though, i've got one phobia, i'd rather not develop any others. Positive thinking seems to work for me even if it does have some pitfalls.

Also, imagine having SA and a Loser Phobia... there really would be no way out then...

EgoZero

Well, I already know that I am a loser. I know that it will always be like this and I know that my life will suck even more in the future. I'll just fail at everything and there is nothing I can change about it.

Lorraine Manca

i dont think you should play head games with yourself. one way or the other. i know i partially got my problems from doing that very thing. you shouldnt have to create motivation for yourself. if you have to create motivation for yourself, it is a sign that you havent figured out what you want yet. in other words, you cannot change because you havent figured out what you want to change in to. i know your're just trying to figure out a cure for an awful disorder, but i truly hope you dont use fear as a motivator.

Rxqueen

I know exactly how you feel. Fear of a future with SA should force you to move ahead in the present. The only thing is I've been afraid of being a loser for the rest of my life since I was 13 and now I'm 22 and so far nothing has changed. If anything fear of the future makes me more afraid of the present, therefore making it even harder to socialize with others. If this works for you, then great, but it hasn't really worked in my favor.

Nicholas

Thanks for your comments.
Yeah, I guess what I wrote doesn't really work. I realized this soon after I had posted it. I think that being scared of becoming a loser would just increase my ANXIETY. That's no good for sure.
But when I wrote it I was thinking about a motivation for doing something, instead of doing nothing. You know, like when you know what to do and what not to do, but you still don't do anything... you know. Just a motivation for taking the first step, instead of comfortably doing nothing.

Maybe the best approach is to expect nothing, and take all you get as a "gift", an achievement to be happy about. I have tried it a few times, and it seems to work. I don't know to what extent I will be able to adopt this approach though, because "expecting nothing" is not really an easy thing to do. I have a lot of expectations, dreams... and I definitely want some of them to come true, I guess.

You're right Nicholas. It's depressing to think about the 'rewards' we can have if we really work at it but then find they're out of reach because we just maybe didn't work hard enough or weren't 'good enough' after all. I've programmed my mind with the second approach you mentioned, but it tends to beat me down as well. I feel like I just can't win and things will never change, because truth is, I'm afraid of the world, and the future. I can only dig myself out at this point, and I'm working on it no doubt.

Hey guys,
I'm bored, confused and almost feeling depressed again, I don't know what to do and I'm back here in this corner of the net, so I'm starting this stupid random thread. I might start some others in the following days, to share my thoughts, since I expect to feel... weird in the near future. Let's cross our fingers. No, sorry, just my fingers, you don't need to cross yours for me, LOL :D

My thoughts now. You can comment on this.

If we want to stop feeling bad, we need to change. Change what? If you need to change the way you act and the way you think, what do you actually need to change? You need to change your personality. Yes, at the end of the day, that's exactly what people like us need to change. It is NOT easy, because it might well be impossible. But if we don't change at least a little, then nothing good will happen... we will always be this way, miserable. So how can a person try to change their personality? There are two ways:
1) giving prizes: if you give the dog a cookie, he'll do what you want.
2) punishment: if you punish the dog, he won't do what you don't want him to do.

Now, this is to motivate yourself. If you follow the first approach, then you should "think of the prize" to get motivated: think of the friends you will have, think of the boyfriend or girlfriend you will have, think of when you will feel well or at least better, and you'll be happy, or at least much happier than now.
If you follow the second approach, then you should think of the punishment to get motivated: think that in ten years nothing will have changed, look at yourself and what you are doing now, and imagine what is going to change... which is nothing, it is likely get worse actually, so imagine yourself in the future, too old to do anything, suicidal, with lots of dreams but no time left for anything, envious, angry, miserable, thinking of what you could have done but you didn't do it, and now it's really too late, because you can't get your time back. In one year... thinking what could I have done? In five years... in ten years.... what will you have done?

That's what I thought about. But I realized that the first approach doesn't work well. It's what everyone wants us to follow... they want to motivate us "positively", they want us to feel "optimistic". But for some reason I think that approach doesn't work very well. Because it is easy to make the mistake of being too optimistic, and then find ourself disappointed. When you think of "having friends", "being successful" etc and then you realize you are not going to get those "prizes" easily, then you go back to depression. As usual.
But if you follow the other approach, and then look back at the "little" results you have gotten, and think "hey, this is better than nothing", then it's gonna work better. If you motivate yourself by scaring yourself....

Social anxiety, phobias, etc, all changed our personalities... they really did it. But how? If they did, then it's possible to change our personalities, right? Well, phobias changed our personalities by scaring us. So change yourself the same way too. Scare yourself, get a new phobia: the loser-phobia. You should be scared of remaining a loser and still be the same in one, three, ten years. Imagine yourself in the future... and get scared. What do you see? Scare yourself daily, and let this new fear motivate you and change your personality. Instead of doing nothing, or doing "irrational" things you don't really want do, try to change.

Don't focus on any "prizes". Don't expect anything from the world. Don't imagine the prizes, don't obsess on how close you are getting to those prizes. Prizes make you depressed, because 99% of them are only going to exist in your mind. Instead, do the opposite. Imagine what a loser you might ever become, and obsess on how far you are getting from that kind of person you don't want to be. Little by little.

Last edited: