Traveling is good.

chris420

I encourage all of you to do this if you can, even if it is just a short trip away. For me when I am outside of my normal environment at home, things seem to take on a new light, and SA becomes easier to deal with.

I stayed in dorms in hostels recently for just 10 days, in Germany and Poland, it was never easy, but after some time I realised the worst that could happen was that they wouldn't like me, but as people are moving from place to place all the time it doesn't really matter, you can try again with the next person that comes along. It gave me a lot of 'ammunition' to combat SA with, made me realise a lot about my life, and coming back I am much more determined to get on with my life and beat this thing than when I left.

If you are fed up, and feel like things aren't going anywhere in your life. Think about it. It could just allow you to see things differently, and traveling by yourself in a foreign country will almost certainly give you some self-confidence. Also staying in hostels is quite cheap generally, you don't need too much money..

What do people think?

caitlynx

I completely agree. My SA is always on the back-burner when I'm travelling partly because I like being anonymous and partly because I'm so much in "survival mode" that I challenge myself more. The difficulty is pushing yourself to go travelling... that's probably the hump for a lot of people, making that first move.

ripewithdecay

Yeah it's funny when I think about moving to a new place, like i've always felt like it would be nice to pick up and go stay in australia for a few months, it would be refreshing and kind of give your reality that shaking it needs to sort of slip into reframing mode.

When you're static and you're stuck in the same exact boring routine day after day after day it's Very very hard to gather up any sort of enthusiasm to defeat your number one problem - which is social anxiety.

So like i said, i think that by traveling to a new exciting place you sorta give your whole perception on life a slap in the face, like a wake up call, which you can use then to start changing your beliefs and outlook. It's like that spark of energy to get you started on your way.

Moonie

I think it's a good idea, but like others have said, making the first move is the most difficult part. I would find it extremely difficult to go toa different country on my own.

2Crowded

Im going soon.....first time to leave America....first flight ever by myself....first airport experience by myself....but I'm meeting a great friend who understands me & will be there waiting for me at the airport in London...its a couple of huge firsts for me...& it will be very difficult.. but I will feel so much more confident having pulled it off... & it looks to end up being the most interesting/exciting 2 weeks of my life thus far.

2crowded im doing exactly the same thing just different place although im hoping i will have a friend meeting me at the airport it depends where she is in the country

im going to bangkok on the 28th of october and have to change planes half way

not freaking out about it yet well a little bit but i know that i will be so much happier there then i am here

although still have the SA there i find it easier to cope with as by the time i left last time the feeling that everyone is looking at me kind of gets replaced by me telling myself its because im foreign which is a lot of the time the case

:D

Edith

chris420 said:
If you are fed up, and feel like things aren't going anywhere in your life. Think about it. It could just allow you to see things differently, and traveling by yourself in a foreign country will almost certainly give you some self-confidence. Also staying in hostels is quite cheap generally, you don't need too much money..

What do people think?

I'm in Korea... things at home weren't so much bad as they were... just nothing. When I first got here i panicked and thought, "What the fuck!? I can't do this! I can't live in a foreign country all by myself!" but I think that moving out and away from myself has helped me immensly.

I have friends, I have made the best friend I've ever had, I've seen and experienced things that I never would have imagined. I've been on dates, out partying, and having fun. Not that its a big vacation... i don't mean it like that... what i mean is that I feel like I'm actually LIVING my life now... not just existing.

When I go back home, I'll go a different person: I'll be more confident happier, and, I think, have a better understanding of people and human interaction.

What traveling has taught me (as corny as it sounds) is that we really are all the same in so many of the important ways. It makes you feel good, like you're no worse or better than anyone... that helps me to feel OK when I meet new people - you and I have more in common than either of us could ever imagine.

Its a liberating feeling. Never underestimate how important it is to just get away. Away from whatever it is that you need a breather from. I'm not saying run away form you problems... I'm saying maybe some different scenery and different circumstances can help you (force you) to overcome them.

If you have an inkling to get out and see the world, then make it happen. If it doesn't help, you've always got what you already have to go back to... how bad could trying really be?

SilentStranger

Hmmm I always wanted to travel. I mean I have done few trips.. but that's for work and that's not fun.

I want to travel to Europe. I want to stay for a while, few good months or an year.

Thats means a working holiday, but I don't know if I can handle a holiday job. I don't even know if I will enjoy a holiday by myself. I know I will end up retreating back to the hotel/hostel. As for going with someone, I have no one to go with. The few people I know, have other commitments.. girlfriends/house mortgages etc and don't want to travel.

Anyone done any travel alone? What about a working holiday?

As for changing your life.., well I don't think that will happen magically or easily . You certainly can't run away from your problems, but I suppose change of scenery might be a catalyst, but things won't happen automatically. That's my view, it might be different for others.

-SS

my flight is tomorrow morning and I'm really nervous lol.
my situation is the same as 2crowded
Althought its my first time traveling alone and i really don't know what to expect, I am encouraged b y what a lot of you posted here :D I do believe that it could give me a fresh start / new perspective

i just hope I don't get lost at the airport 'cause I have no idea wehre i'm supposed to go check in, put my luggage lol

no_wukkas

Yep... I did the travel thing. I had always wanted to travel but had noone to go with... my life felt like it was going nowhere so I thought what the heck. I saved up a whole heap of money and in backpacked through USA , Canada, UK and Denmark.

I was very nervous leading up to it... I had no idea how I was going to handle it. I had people telling me left right and centre how exciting it was going to be but all I could feel was fear... I cried the night before because I thought my back pack was too heavy... hillarious really looking back on it.

Then the day finally came and of course there were nerves but I was able to combat them... there's excitement too! Everyone said I'd meet so many new people which as a socially anxious person I thought was unlikely (I thought I'd shy away a bit) but I was so wrong! I did meet a lot of people who had come from all over the globe and I made a load of friends and quite a few long lasting friendships. I even fell in love and we're still together after two years.

I had an awesome time on that trip and saw some amazing places. I came home feeling the most confident I had felt in a long time... possibly ever. Now people say to me... wow, you traveled by yourself, I could never do that, how did you do it?! And I honestly don't know... I felt the same as them once. You just kinda have to take the big plunge and try it!

no_wukkas

Scrabbl said:
Althought its my first time traveling alone and i really don't know what to expect, I am encouraged b y what a lot of you posted here :D I do believe that it could give me a fresh start / new perspective

i just hope I don't get lost at the airport 'cause I have no idea wehre i'm supposed to go check in, put my luggage lol

I felt exactly the same way... what if I can't find my way around the airport... what if I can't fine my connecting flight... how am I going to find my hostel? But when it comes to doing it... every airport I went to had excellent signage... I didn't even have to try and if I was for some reason unsure there are always loads of people to ask.

As for getting to the hostel... you find that taxi rank or you ask where you can get one or you find your bus... you use your map... you just do what you have to do. You just kinda do it! And the more fears you combat by acheiving things and having things work out (and things going wrong and overcoming them with out total and utter disaster eg: I couldn't get accomodation in new york when I arrived and had to find my own way to philadelphia for two nights before returning to new york for only 1 last night before my flight out to london) the less fearful you feel... the more confidence you gain. I dunno... it's just a good thing :)

Anyway... you're probably well into your trip by now, if not returned. Hope you're having/had a really great trip! :)

chris420

no_wukkas said:
Scrabbl said:

I felt exactly the same way... what if I can't find my way around the airport... what if I can't fine my connecting flight... how am I going to find my hostel? But when it comes to doing it... every airport I went to had excellent signage... I didn't even have to try and if I was for some reason unsure there are always loads of people to ask.

As for getting to the hostel... you find that taxi rank or you ask where you can get one or you find your bus... you use your map... you just do what you have to do. You just kinda do it! And the more fears you combat by acheiving things and having things work out (and things going wrong and overcoming them with out total and utter disaster eg: I couldn't get accomodation in new york when I arrived and had to find my own way to philadelphia for two nights before returning to new york for only 1 last night before my flight out to london) the less fearful you feel... the more confidence you gain. I dunno... it's just a good thing :)

Anyway... you're probably well into your trip by now, if not returned. Hope you're having/had a really great trip! :)

Yeah, you're always gonna come across difficulties when travelling (if you're gonna be adventurous that is) but it kind of gives you confidence when you overcome them.

E.g. In Japan, when I was sleeping outside, I woke up and a deer was rooting through my backpack...it grabbed my season train ticket (very expensive) and basically chewed it up and ate it...I was panicking like shit at the time cause I had no money left but, I managed and it was kind of fun finding other ways to get to my destination. And it was a pretty funny story to tell once I got back!

I'd rather be travelling all the time, if I could afford it..

chris420

krs2snow said:
Chris420 that's soo freakin' Awesome!!! I've always wanted to travel & stay in hostels & like hike trails or something in some foreign land. Do u mind if I ask where ur from? Country? Japan! Wow! Japan scares the heck outta me! I think its the language i find so intimidating.

Kudos to you!

Hey, I did this thing called WWOOF, it's basically working and staying with people (usually at farms/restaurants). I did that about half the time, and the rest staying in hostels etc. Wwoofing was more fun overall, it's more 'authentic' since you're staying with a host family in their home, and it's free. Although you gotta choose the host wisely.

Lol, I didn't know any Japanese before I left. By the end of the 3 months I knew loads. People in hostels all over the world speak good English though generally, you can get travel advice etc there, and usually internet which is good.

Japan is amazing, especially the rural parts which a lot of travelers don't see. I would love to go back someday but there are too many other places in the world I wanna see lol

Yeah but travel is also destroying the planet. It would be nice to travel in a solar powered car or by pedal power. A french guy recently crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a pedal-powered boat.

I've travelled alone on business trips to: Bogota, Caracas, San Juan, Islip, Chicago, Atlanta.

chris420

sabbath92002 said:
Yeah but travel is also destroying the planet. It would be nice to travel in a solar powered car or by pedal power. A french guy recently crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a pedal-powered boat.

I've travelled alone on business trips to: Bogota, Caracas, San Juan, Islip, Chicago, Atlanta.

True. But in our society most people take at least 1 holiday in a year. Taking one long trip every few years or so, and travelling by land would be better for the planet.

It's these RTW gap year trips with mulitiple plane journeys which are really racking up the carbon emissions imo. And company executives jetting off for business trips every week ofcourse.