Top ten myths of an introvert

MentalyBlind

Top ten myths about introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don't know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

Feeling_Nothing

I like this post :) I can totally relate to most of it. Especially Myth 1 I like, I find this to be true, I'm usually pretty introverted and when people ask about fishing/airsoft I can rattle on for hours :)

Boby

I don't really consider myself as an introvert,more like an extrovert trapped in a introvert,some of the stuff you wrote fit's me very well (like #7 I don't like to be a sheep ,I do what I consider it's appropriate to do not what the majority thinks) while others don't fit so well like #1(I may not be very good at small talk but I still do it) or #9(as long as I have great a company I can party for days :D)

MentalyBlind

EVERYONE is good with social confrontations, just as long as it is in moderation

once you start to limit yourself thats when you start to feel the pressure of the social scene.

push past your fear of connection with others, once you push past that fear, that self punishment you WILL feel better.

Last edited:
i Totally agree with what introverts are like cause based on these myth busters highlighted i think i fit right in ..afterall when ppl ask me to describe myself i would easily express i am an introvert... FB is an example.. introverts seem to be more interesting if u ask me.. esp intellectually .. thats my opinion anyway.. i think if a psychological study is done with a group of intro and extro.. i think intro would be the ones most likely to suffer with anxiety issues like ocd.. etc.. WHO THINKS I AM WRONG

MentalyBlind

my family is 50/50 my mother and I are introverts, we like to hangout inside and watch tv and write, read w/e that catches our interest especially the computer. my father and little sister on the other hand are grouchy, agressive, and pushy and don't shut up when an argument breaks out then it's a who ever is louder wins, dad takes the gold every time.

xDreamseller

Well, I guess I'm an introvert then. :D

One thing I can't stand is small talk. If I have a topic to talk about, I'm not very shy at all. Once that dries up though and talk reverts to something like the weather, I don't have a clue what to say. (Not to mention it's pointless to talk about and all I hear from people who try to engage in small talk with me is: "I have nothing of worth to say to you", just on loop, over and over)

Eristelle

Is it bad to be an extrovert? Don't get me wrong, I'm a introvert myself, but I feel like extroverts also get some negative attention too. Like some are considered "rude" and too "talkative" or just "ignorant". Both are pretty neutral if you ask me. If you're an introvert or an extrovert that's great. You are who you are.