Thoughts?

Iam.myhair

Okay so my preacher came to my house today and talked to me about getting saved.
I DO really want to get saved and part of me feels like I am!
(I am a Christian)
I want to be born again. I DO believe Jesus the Christ died on the cross for all those who believe in Him!
I want Him to guide my life and be with me at all times and protect my friends and family from evil.
But everytime I ask Him into my life and heart.. I can't ever focus enough to be SURE about what I have just done. :(

Is anyone else going through this?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Okay so my preacher came to my house today and talked to me about getting saved.
I DO really want to get saved and part of me feels like I am!
(I am a Christian)
I want to be born again. I DO believe Jesus the Christ died on the cross for all those who believe in Him!
I want Him to guide my life and be with me at all times and protect my friends and family from evil.
But everytime I ask Him into my life and heart.. I can't ever focus enough to be SURE about what I have just done. :(

Is anyone else going through this?
So, knowing that God is in your heart is a feeling, but you can't trust your feelings because of OCD? Or am I misunderstanding that?

Iam.myhair

not exactly.. but that is slightly it.
Everytime I try to accept Jesus into my heart wholey with nothing stopping me.. I can't focus enough to make sure that I have done it and it drives me crazy

Apotheosis

I doubt it.

Doubting already? Tsk tsk.

More seriously: as I understand it, true faith is more about His message than He Himself. Follow Him and He will guide you. Symbiosis... kind of.

It sounds like you already believe, which is really the only thing required. Everything else will follow.

It's not like you flick a switch and *bam* you're saved. You just... are. It's how you live your life that matters.

mmmm

^I agree with this post.

I don't subscribe to any religion. Just telling you upfront. But anyway, if you had no legs and you accepted Jesus into your life, your legs would probably not grow back. I'm guessing you've had focus problems in other areas and not just this one? Your lack of focus probably has nothing to do with this present situation. If Jesus turns out to be where it's at, remember that he has known about your lack of focus your whole life and he gets it. Just focus on living your life they way you think you should be.

(I've just read back over this and realised it makes very little sense. Oh well. Posting anyway)

worrywort

Yea, I went through this when I first became a Christian. There may be a way to be sure out there somewhere, but, to be honest, I haven't found it yet. Over the years I've become more confident in my salvation, to the point where I feel so certain I can almost taste it. But I still don't know with absolute certainty yet. The Bible does say a fair deal about how to be saved [here's a few good articles that might help - LINK - LINK - LINK - LINK] and most of the verses basically say that you just have to believe in Jesus, and my inclination is that it really is that easy, so it sounds like your on the right track, so I wouldn't worry too much. But this whole area of judging a persons heart, even our own hearts, to try to figure out who God will or will not save, and trying to measure how much belief we have, is notoriously vague and difficult to do. I doubt that absolute certainty is really attainable.

But one thing I'd advise against would be trying to force yourself to feel certain about something that, in truth, you're not. I'm not sure if that's what you meant when you said you "can't ever focus enough to be sure about it"? But instead, I'd just talk to God about it. Tell him you'd like to be more sure of your salvation, and I'd expect he'll give you some more signs.