Those little, insignificant things, you just can't do.

T T T

It is an interesting concept that people not suffering from SA get upset, and question themselves over whether they would be able to go sky diving or surfing for example. Whereas, people who are suffering, they question themselves over silly, insignificant things that someone else wouldn't even think about.

For example, buying a CD. I always download my music for this exact reason.

Two people are stood looking at a rack of CDs. One has SA and one dosen't. The one who dosen't will probably know exactly what it is they are looking for, pick up their CD of chocie, evaluate the selection of music for another minute or two, picking up a few CDs and looking at the cases and the track list, and then purchase their CD at the counter without thinking about it. They know that this CD is to their music taste, and there is then no reason for them not to buy it.

Now, the one who is suffering, will too probably know exactly what it is they want to buy. They will stand staring blankly at the rack for a few minutes, until they finally come around and become aware of the people around them also choosing music. They will then scan the selection, slowly and cautiously, having to double check a few things to confirm them. They then realise they have been staring blankly for a good five minutes, and it's time to pick a CD out. They pick one up that they have heard of, a popular one that they have just seen someone else looking at to avoid showing too much personality and showing what interests you. Whilst vaugley looking at the CD they will continue to look for their CD, the dread of it not being there and looking like a failure having to walk off with nothing begins to creep in. Finally! There it is, it has been staring you in the face the whole time. But why haven't you noticed it? Because no one else has picked it out. This means no one likes it, this means if you show you do people with judge you, but on the other hand you can't walk off with nothing after staring at the rack for 10 minutes. They check the people around them are all preoccupied, before slyling picking their CD up and briskly walking off; probably stumbling along the way.

This is just an example, and obviously other people would deal with this situation in a completley different mannor, this is mostly based on my own thoughts and experiences.

I am interested to know what other little things like this, we all have numerous amounts of them, that you just cannot do or struggle to do.

Thank you for reading. :)

EDIT: This is the perfect example to show how someone with SA over-thinks every little thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I still sometimes feel stuck in shops wondering how to exit without buying something - I'm sure I've bought stuff I don't really need just so I can leave

T T T

Yeah I can understand that, I always feel like i'm being accused of shoplifting or something if I were to leave a shop without buying something. Shops keepers must love people like us. :p

Last edited:

SPV

When I read your post I thought you were talking about me >.< I can perfectly identify with that moment you just described in the shop, it happens a lot to me.

caringsoul

Banned
i used to have that anxiety of walking into a shop and then realising i dont want to buy anything, but the cashier greeted me and is staring at me with a smile, hoping i get something. i end up just browsing when i already know in my head i dont want anything here. it just looked like a pretty shop so i walked in. I sometime end up buying something cheap but i dont really want it just to not walk out awkwardly without buying anything.

but now i am not botthered, i just walk in and walk out freely. but still somewhat feel a bit guilty. or i just wait till the till is busy, and i walk out.

It used to be quite bad, i didnt like it when staff greet me, saying hello, how may i help you? .. when they do that, i just feel like walking away, because they might talk to me again when i checkout. which has happened.

theres a long list of little things i cant do, or just too nervous to do, like say hi, bye. it has gotten better since i've started working though. used to be very nervewacking.

i used to would visit art & design exhibitions, gallery .. and not be interested in a particular artwork, but because the designer was standing beside it, i just stand there for a few seconds, pretending to be interested, when i actually just want to walk away.. but i dont want them to feel bad, so i just stand there and look and then walk off.. i think i still do that though.

Last edited:

Hastings & Main

Again, I thought I was the only one with this!
I've actually started sweating in a place where I was the only customer and thinking I'd better buy something. I always figure they think I'm going to shoplift something, or that I'm a cheap bastard for leaving w/o a purchase.
I'm slowly getting over it, though, through practice.

fitftw

the same thing happens to me in stores. We think about things in ways nobody else cares to. We have compassion. We don't want to be ridiculed. We are the nice guys and girls. We'll do anything to avoid appearing out of the ordinary in most cases because people always have something to say

Memory

I always get nervous going into shops. If I end up buying something, I always think everyone else is judging me (actually, I think that all the time anyway) and I get really nervous when I have to pay for things, especially when they give you change and I'm worried I'm going to drop it, or when they put the note and then the coins on top and hand it you, I can't seem to hold it and put it in my purse quick enough so I just walk away quickly and sort it out when I'm outside.

When I go into a shop that's empty and don't want anything, I feel guilty so I pretend to not have enough money or something (like get my purse out, count my coins, sigh and rush out). And when I'm in a shop that may be full of people, I think people are judging me and even if I want to buy something, I don't because I'm worried what people think and I just want to get out of there.

R3K

this happens to me too all the time. feeling obligated to buy something, and swiftly, as if i knew what i wanted. but for me it's a little different... i work at a drug store and we routinely catch shoplifters, or if we're not catching them we spot them left and right (i'm real good at the spotting aspect :cool:, not so much the actual catching them part).

so everytime i'm at the electronics store aiming to buy a cd, my brain is flooded with thoughts like-- is security going to think i'm a shoplifter? is the way i'm looking at the cd's indicative of a shoplifter's actions?... then the employees are straifing me one after another with that line--hi do you need help with something?... and after the third one it's so obvious they're only doing it to scare me out of shoplifting, which i'm not even trying to do :mad:. 5 minutes into the ordeal and my nerves are a jumble, i don't even want to buy a cd anymore, and i'm angry because that's why i came in there. and it's like i'm deciding on the spot right there that i don't even like snoop dog anymore because that's what i was thinking about buying when the anxiety took over. i feel like i have to dress up in a super neat and nerdy church outfit to go shopping anywhere so i can feel like security/employees aren't going to suspect me of being a shoplifter and i can focus on the actual shopping.

Tripolar

this happens to me too all the time. feeling obligated to buy something, and swiftly, as if i knew what i wanted. but for me it's a little different... i work at a drug store and we routinely catch shoplifters, or if we're not catching them we spot them left and right (i'm real good at the spotting aspect :cool:, not so much the actual catching them part).

so everytime i'm at the electronics store aiming to buy a cd, my brain is flooded with thoughts like-- is security going to think i'm a shoplifter? is the way i'm looking at the cd's indicative of a shoplifter's actions?... then the employees are straifing me one after another with that line--hi do you need help with something?... and after the third one it's so obvious they're only doing it to scare me out of shoplifting, which i'm not even trying to do :mad:. 5 minutes into the ordeal and my nerves are a jumble, i don't even want to buy a cd anymore, and i'm angry because that's why i came in there. and it's like i'm deciding on the spot right there that i don't even like snoop dog anymore because that's what i was thinking about buying when the anxiety took over. i feel like i have to dress up in a super neat and nerdy church outfit to go shopping anywhere so i can feel like security/employees aren't going to suspect me of being a shoplifter and i can focus on the actual shopping.

I totally get this. I used to work in the front store part of a pharmacy and I have also caught a couple of shoplifters. When I am in a store now and workers come up and ask me if I need help more than once I actually get angry and leave because I feel insulted or I'm rude to them, because I used to be told to be "extra helpful" to people who were acting in a certain way in the store.