Thinking of getting rid of my cellphone

zav943

I'm paying about $30 a month for not using it. The only person who calls me is my mom, and occasionally my one friend will text message me asking how my studying is going. Other than that, it's just a paperweight...a waste of money.

I'm kinda grappling with the thought of getting rid of it. I just feel that, by doing so, I'm isolating myself further from society, and that notion can't possibly help me with SA.

Has anyone here gotten rid of their phone/thinking of doing it for similar reasons?

MsBuzzkillington

Does your mom have other ways of contacting you? If not, I would say keep it.

Or at least go to a prepaid phone. So you can buy those minutes to chat with your mom, and still have something that will keep you in contact with others if needed.

Edit: When I say contact, I mean calling. Do you have a house phone?

zav943

Does your mom have other ways of contacting you? If not, I would say keep it.

Or at least go to a prepaid phone. So you can buy those minutes to chat with your mom, and still have something that will keep you in contact with others if needed.

Edit: When I say contact, I mean calling. Do you have a house phone?

Prepaid a good idea!

Fighter86

Yep, thought about a pre-paid card as well for similar reasons, but am now still currently holding onto my phone plan, not sure what I would do, maybe I might try the pre-paid card thing when my contract with my service provider ends, if not, I would have to actually pay termination fees for the rest of the months that I am still contracted to them.

TheNewZero

I hate cellphones, the only reason I have one is to call my parents or my fiance- which is on a rare occasion like it my car breaks down or something. I hate them and wish they weren't so popular.

I have a pay as you go plan, and only end up spending a couple of bucks a month at the most. Maybe you should look into getting something like that?

fitftw

My cell bill is $80 a month and I can't remember the last time I talked on it. I text sometimes, maybe once every few days or every week...

Lea

Banned
I only use a prepaid card. When I was in England, the rates were pretty cheap but in my country it's horrible. So I rather use it only for inevitable calls or texting.

mozart87

oh my god, guys stop wasting your money on cell phone bills...you could do something with that money

Feathers

Yup, I've always had it pre-paid too! Some months I spent nothing, sometimes more... You can also Skype with your Mom? (On computer, for free? Or do Gmail Talk/msn communication?)
It's still good to have a cell phone for any emergencies, 'just in case'...

If you do 'get rid of it', don't just toss, consider donating/selling on eBay or at least giving it to recycling... (in some countries like UK, you can even get money for it...)