Things people do that make me think

Roman Legion

Someone at drill the other day asked me if I owned the silver Mustang and I nodded yes, they are a bit observant but ignorant on SA as they told me that it seemed strange that a really shy person would own an appealing car like mine as only outgoing people who pick up women own them.. To be honest, I just liked to car when I bought it, I don't use it as an extension of myself or to show off or even topick up women.. It is a fun car that I drive alone and is a great solo experience.. I keep it VERY clean as I have some sort of obsessive need to keep everything from my room to my guitar and my car clean. What are your thoughts on this, is it strange for someone like me to own a car like mine or is she just being very ignorant?

montejocarlo

maybe she was just trying to start up a conversation. most of people's commentaries are thoughtless and unnecessary, but they say it anyway for the purpose of having something to say. it's normal.

Kinetik

It's not strange at all. I always drive as nice a car as I can afford. I'm not going to roll with an '88 Accord just because I'm an introvert. Granted, I do like nice cars, but like you they're not a part of my identity. If other people want to erroneously connect the dots about me based on my car then I suppose that's their problem.

hippiechild

Maybe she was hitting on you ;)
unconsciously responding to the conditioned stimulus...

of course it's 'normal' for you to have that sort of car.. it just doesn't fit the stereotype, which is why it's a stereotype.

Silatuyok

It's hard to say what she meant, she could have been trying to flirt or maybe she was just being a jerk. At any rate, it's not unusual at all for you to have a nice car. Who doesn't want a nice car? She sounds kind of dumb to me.