The Walking Dead

Xervello

Who else thought that last week's episode "Them" was one of their best? I'm sure a lot of people will complain about how slow it was, or that nothing happened. What I love about the show are the times when they focus on the small details of survival, which are quite realistic in said scenario, which truly showcase the strength and humanity of the group. Rather than they pursue the usual plot narrative where they combat the "villain of the season" and gloss over the nuances of survival that "Them" so perfectly captures. Don't get me wrong, there are valid plot purposes for the Governor's and Terminus peeps of the zombie world, and entertaining to boot, but it's key that the show doesn't forget what truly makes it gritty and impactful: the difficulty of survival, and if one would even want to endure through that hell. Considering our planet will soon be dealing with issues of inadequate resources, it might be well worth thinking about.

Mokkat

Didn't see it yet, usually I wait and see the finished season/half season when it's done.

I always thought they did a good job with the world building and the small necessities of the zombie apocalypse. Even if the good-guys-vs-villains battles tend to take up a little too much space, the seasons are paced well so they never get to be self-sufficient or too cosy.

Regarding villains though, did they introduce Negan yet?

slimjim119

Last weeks episode was great. I've been watching since the beginning. I like it to when they focus on the small details of survival instead of the usual good vs evil plot. One of the few shows on TV I watch regularly.

Queen_Regnant

Do you know why they trigger them? Does watching anything else do so, as well?

Yes, Watching TV in general tends to do it. Anything that is remotely suspenseful gets me. I can only watch familiar shows or children's movies. The Walking Dead is particularly brutal though, as I have a massive fear of zombies.

Xervello

Yes, Watching TV in general tends to do it. Anything that is remotely suspenseful gets me. I can only watch familiar shows or children's movies. The Walking Dead is particularly brutal though, as I have a massive fear of zombies.

Does the same occur if you read suspenseful books or newspaper reports? Or is it the visceral experience of actually seeing it without being able to put it down or experience at your own speed. Whatever the case, that sucks, sorry. Though if the Walking Dead gets anymore popular they probably might develop an animated children's series, ha ha.

Queen_Regnant

Does the same occur if you read suspenseful books or newspaper reports? Or is it the visceral experience of actually seeing it without being able to put it down or experience at your own speed. Whatever the case, that sucks, sorry. Though if the Walking Dead gets anymore popular they probably might develop an animated children's series, ha ha.

No, not particularly. Maybe because when I read, my ind still has control over what I am imagining? It's just horrible with TV/videos. And oh myy, maybe if they make it into a children's show, I'll be able to enjoy it. :giggle:

Argentum

Daryl's feels are making me have feels, but otherwise I don't see this as a particularly strong start. I guess I've seen enough zombies ambling about and surprise pop-ups to be pretty "meh" about it.

Xervello

Daryl's feels are making me have feels, but otherwise I don't see this as a particularly strong start. I guess I've seen enough zombies ambling about and surprise pop-ups to be pretty "meh" about it.

Yeah, but I think this season they're putting the focus squarely on how much is too much. In the past we've seen the group looking for food, scavenging for supplies and braving conditions, but the show kinda glossed over the difficulty of that in order to get to whatever plot point the season-long narrative was about. I like that this season, and "Them" in particular, they're showing just how challenging each of those necessities are, coupled with all the personal losses they've surmounted, it's making them question what's it all worth. I was split on the premiere episode. I like the scavenging scenes but thought the Tyrese scenes/flashbacks/hallucinations were kinda cliche. It'll be interesting next Walking Dead marathon to watch last season's finale and this season's premiere back-to-back, lol. Pretty damn glum. At any rate, the show will be changing drastically pretty soon, so don't expect more of the same. Though I'd be happy to have more eps like "Them".