The Kick Butt Club (Anti Procrastination and laziness)

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Good news, after some relentless job applications, I have been invited for an interview as a Night receptionist at a hotel next thursday. I am really excited for this, because I am a night-owl and I can probably combine it with freelance work and it will probably be quiet at night. Ideal for me! Bit nervous though, but it's atleast some hope on the horizon.

Hey good luck with this interview and let us know how it goes!! Sounds like an interesting opportunity

coyote

^ Buy a pull up bar a couple of dumbells and an ez - curl bar.

I have a total gym - it is good for chest fly's but I prefer using dumbells etc..

If I may...

Do a ****load of pushups, squats and pull ups. Use the dumbells for your shoulders, biceps and use a chair for dips.
Also run alot do a ton of burpees.

Sweat everyday and you will have it sorted. I guarantee it.

awesome, thanks for the pointers!

i do have a pull-up bar - plus planning on supplementing my workouts with cardio (running/cycling/swimming) and free weights like you suggested

as i get into a routine and start feeling a bit more confident, i'll dust off my ymca membership

i used to be pretty active but got out of the habit in the last 3 years. i'm really just looking to get out of the rut i'm in and start feeling/looking better - not too worried about 'body-building" at this point

i've broken my goals down into some specific measurables:

1. break the habit of being sedentary - establish the habit of working out and being active every day - EVERY DAY

2. lose enough weight that my clothes fit right again and i don't feel like a python trying to digest a goat all the time

3. sign up for the local Triathlon Sprint which takes place mid July, and get in good enough shape to complete it (that gives me six months)

4. be able to pass the U.S. Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test (PFT) - something i used to be able to do 25 years ago when i was serving as a Marine (i want to get a passing score for an 17-26 yr old, not a 46+ year old))

5. be able to score 2nd Class on the PFT

6. be able to score 1st Class on the PFT

7. be able to get a perfect score on the PFT

along the way, i'll probably come up with some other goals - but these will do for now

the first one is the toughest

I should make myself a part of this, but I have so many issues, I don't even know where to begin, or how to go about setting up a plan for change. Every aspect of my life is screwed up right now, I just can't decide where to start. Not being able to make any decisions is probably my biggest problem, plus even if I make a decision, getting overwhelmed by all that is involved in putting it into action sends me right back into procrastination mode. *sigh*

Gadfly

I like the 15 minute 'do something productive' initiative. I've been getting up to do some minor cleaning or curls. My biceps are sore. :)

dottie

lurknomore, you can join team procrastination and laziness. we are full but will make room for another member. join the dark side... :mad:

lurknomore, you can join team procrastination and laziness. we are full but will make room for another member. join the dark side... :mad:

I've been there quite a while now, and although crowded it's deceivingly comfortable. I like it there, but can't stay forever because the anxieties of the outside world will eventually force me out one way or another. I know I will be better off getting out on my own, but I can't seem to find the exit. :confused:

hexagon_sun

"Laziness" is a myth designed to marginalize people with psychiatric disorders. Calling someone who is depressed, lazy is like calling an ethnic person a racial slur. They can no more help their emotional / motivational disposition than they can help their skin color. I think "lazy" is an adjective that should be avoided on a social anxiety forum... Just my opinion.

gustavofring

Thread closed due to lack of interest

WHAT?

Not on my watch! Be gone cynic! :thumbdown:

So anyway, I had my application today for the night receptionist job. I prepared thorougly and expected another bitchy/mean recruiter but this lady was quite nice and didn't give me a hard time at all. I did think I came across a bit like I mechanically studied everything I wanted to say.

But who knows, I'll hear about it tomorrow.

I hope other people will continue to post their updates as well. COME ON!

gustavofring

"Laziness" is a myth designed to marginalize people with psychiatric disorders. Calling someone who is depressed, lazy is like calling an ethnic person a racial slur. They can no more help their emotional / motivational disposition than they can help their skin color. I think "lazy" is an adjective that should be avoided on a social anxiety forum... Just my opinion.

I think laziness is a mindset. A self-destructive pattern because of whatever reason (depression, some other disorder). I know the word lazy is being thrown around very easily by people and it's very hurtful (yes I've been called it as well), but I do believe that laziness is something one can recognize in themselves and that should be overcome.

When I say lazy I am talking about all those days/weeks/months that I pissed away because I didn't take responsibility for myself, procrastinating positive action and just waiting for things to happen instead of being proactive and taking chances and putting in effort. I know deep down that I could have done more and was basically hiding behind depression.

Last edited:

aNOTfox

]I had my application today for the night receptionist job. I prepared thorougly and expected another bitchy/mean recruiter but this lady was quite nice and didn't give me a hard time at all. I did think I came across a bit like I mechanically studied everything I wanted to say.

But who knows, I'll hear about it tomorrow.

I hope other people will continue to post their updates as well. COME ON!

Thats great! I really hope it works out for you

I've just made an appointment with someone to get on a training course in retail work and customer service D: on Jan 3rd. Hopefully this will improve my confidence and my chances of getting a job.

gustavofring

Good going, ANotFox. For sure it will help you greatly!

I've got good news as well, I'm good as hired! I'll hear for sure the 7th of january but the lady was positive about our talk and would like me to have the job. Her superior is on holiday, and he has to sign it.

It's a bit strange, but I felt really good today, a bit euphoric, lol. . :bigsmile: But I'm just happy to have a job. I feel like I will have purpose again and will be able to participate in life. This euphoric feeling will probably be slammed out of me on the first work day, but it's good for now.

aNOTfox

Whoa I've been away from here for too long!
Thats great news Gustavofring! Let us know how it goes!

I've just made an appointment with someone to get on a training course in retail work and customer service D: on Jan 3rd. Hopefully this will improve my confidence and my chances of getting a job.

This turned out to be a waste of time xD. The guy went through the details of the course which was for people who had no qualifications whatsoever. It was all about getting maths and english skills up to scratch which I've already passed, and interview skills etc. but I already did a course on that at college. Oh well back to the drawing board. still, at least I pushed myself to go to two face-to-face appointments in two days. I had to use an intercom on one of the buildings which I freaked out over cause I had no idea how they work, I had the button held down and was trying to speak into it, like a walkie-talkie. XD

1BlackSheep

Congratulations on the job, Gustovofring! :thumbup: I agree that it will help you feel a bit more connected to the outside world.

And good on you aNOTfox for going to the two appointments! Every little bit helps!

As for me, I was actually doing pretty good with my 15 minutes a day of de-cluttering until the flu knocked me on my butt last Thursday. Once I'm feeling better, I'll resume my daily 15. I have been eating much better though and took all of the leftover holiday cookies/candy to work so I won't be tempted to devour them.

I was looking for some apps to help me with fitness, organization, etc and came across this site which has some kinda cool stuff: Apps | Azumio. I like the one where you put your finger over the camera lens and it does an EKG of your heart rate. Bizarre! This other one that is sort of a social dieting game looks kind of fun too: DietBet | Set Up Or Join A Weight Loss Game.. I like games and winning stuff, so it might help motivate me!

jaim38

Good going, ANotFox. For sure it will help you greatly!

I've got good news as well, I'm good as hired! I'll hear for sure the 7th of january but the lady was positive about our talk and would like me to have the job. Her superior is on holiday, and he has to sign it.

It's a bit strange, but I felt really good today, a bit euphoric, lol. . :bigsmile: But I'm just happy to have a job. I feel like I will have purpose again and will be able to participate in life. This euphoric feeling will probably be slammed out of me on the first work day, but it's good for now.

Congrats! I wish I can get a job like that.