The importance of people

Hello everyone,

The title might come off as taunting to the society-haters many of us are; this nonetheless became clearer during this period of unemployment and sanitary restrictions.

While not having seen most of my acquaintances for more than a year now, my communication skills have been deteriorating ever since, part of my self-esteem along with it, to the extent of sounding like a simpleton during my last online job interview and freezing up on mundane questions. All of this led to self-deprecating tendencies that'd left me doubting my intelligence and abilities.

I've been neglecting my social and communication skills to an extent where it became problematic (sounding redundant, being unable to convince...etc), and people are a way to maintain and hone those skills. One has to be deprived of something to appreciate its value. In normal times and as an employed person, I'd spend the weekend at home because I'd have exceeded my dose of forced exposure to people.

I owe part of my sanity to a special someone, if this person reads this thread — thank you for always believing in me, without your support and care my self-esteem would have plummeted during this period.

P.S. It is no secret that loneliness can result in depression and loss of confidence, but it feels good to share my late experience

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I didn't notice this thread because it doesn't seem to show up in the "new posts" area.

I'm 104.732% sure I'm not the special someone you're talking about but for what it's worth I've never once doubted your intelligence or capabilities since our 1st conversation.

I didn't notice this thread because it doesn't seem to show up in the "new posts" area.

I'm 104.732% sure I'm not the special someone you're talking about but for what it's worth I've never once doubted your intelligence or capabilities since our 1st conversation.

I appreciate your words NathanielWingatePeaslee :)
It's possibly an impression I have of going "socially numb" after last year's situation

lily

You're not alone, yes we all need people, the right kind of people too. You are intelligent and able Jungle, if I weren't taking online courses right now I'd be depressed too for all this time. Luckily it's coming up soon. I do feel bored when I don't have any courses to take in the while.

You're not alone, yes we all need people, the right kind of people too. You are intelligent and able Jungle, if I weren't taking online courses right now I'd be depressed too for all this time. Luckily it's coming up soon. I do feel bored when I don't have any courses to take in the while.
I appreciate your message lily! Having people who relate to this makes me feel less of an alien

Miserum

I didn't see this either. I agree with you. Essentially... the more one does something, the better they probably become at it; this applies to socializing as well.

I feel there is some attuning to be done after not having been in public for a while. You'll hit your stride in short time. 🙂 (y)

I didn't see this either. I agree with you. Essentially... the more one does something, the better they probably become at it; this applies to socializing as well.

I feel there is some attuning to be done after not having been in public for a while. You'll hit your stride in short time. 🙂 (y)
Thanks for the encouragements Miserum :)
You are right, becoming better with practice applies to everything.

gazelle

I agree with your point. Human beings are social creatures and interaction is a basic need, but when you live in a jungle that completely complies with the "survival of the fittest" law ,having interactions that will make a positive difference and fulfill your needs becomes harder, and from personal experience it can get to the point of even not having interactions being a better option. But then again, I don't want to sound pessimistic so I should also confess that at times of being strong my interactions with people have been very energizing. But when you're dealt with a specific set of genes, being strong doesn't come that easily for some and it can take lots of effort.

lily

people are so important, it can be hard to find people but once you find some you're so grateful

lily

people can be so cold. And you get out there and people can get judgmental about you without really know you, it's annoying

lily

if anyone just stabs you in the back with their action or words you should stay away from them, be careful, some people make a life happier or happy and some will make a life bad

lily

I really need people in my life right now. I feel lonely and I'm not taking a course right now and with the pandemic, you're not treated like a normal person who can join with one other family. I hope my friends contact me. Some have but not all.

grapevine

If you go without being social for some time, social skills erode but more importantly your sense of who you are erodes too. Well that is what has happened to me in the past. Your social identity gets lost, you get more sensitive to try and find clues in others to find out who you are and it can play with idenity of who you believe you are vs how others see you.

Thats why its important to be around people and get to know them even if its not much interaction. It becomes a dance of who you want to be seen as vs who you are vs who people see you as and eventually comfortable in your own skin once you start to know people and they start to like you and accept you.