The "HELL" that is an Oral Presentation

Lou-s-Darkness

So... I am an Interior Design student. I HIGHLY regret going into that. Non-stop pressure, sleepless nights, etc...

The thing with this stupid program is that you're aaaalways being criticized and always have to verbally present your projects.

Teachers just love to hear students speak....and they especially love to pick on me because they quote me as "shy" and want me to step out of my bubble.

I have presented before....this is actually my 4th semester in this program in college...and I have survived, but I have screwed up every single time. Although last semester was the worst.

HOWEVER, this semester is just inconceivable....I mean we had 2 critics come and evaluate us 3 weeks ago, and we had to verbally explain our projects to them in front of a few other people. And this Tuesday it's happening again.

And at the end of the semester we're going to be formally presenting our projects i front of almost 40 people.....or possibly 50..idk....but still it is a GIGANTIC oral presentation and I am freaking out!!!

I was actually contemplating getting high or something before the oral so I can ease my anxiety...

The last thing I need is to turn bloody red and have another famous panic attack in front of all these people, watching, criticizing, picking, and waiting....

Does anybody know what I can do to help me get through it without the whole "I think I really will faint this time, I can feel it" phase?

I mean ANYTHING will do...breathing exercises don't help though...I've tried them before...but as soon as I start talking all the fear comes rushing back....

-___-

LazyHermitCrab

I understand where you're coming from. I really dislike when someone labels me as shy and then pushes me. That's not right, but in their mind they believe their helping. Just always remember, you're doing this for a reason. Just get through each class and do your best, so you don't have to retake a class. I'm actually an Event managment major and we endure terrible presentations. I feel like some people actually like presentations. Just graduate asap, and when you have a job at least you know you're being paid to be uncomfortable, but with time it should get better!

Last edited:

Lou-s-Darkness

you're right...about at least being paid to be uncomfortable lol. I really hope I don't have to retake a class. I was doing good, but this year is so bad...and my depression just makes everything worse...and I never have energy to work on stuff because of it. And yeah, some people do love presentations...my brother just adores them for some reason. Just to show that we are veeery different in terms of personalities. But thanks for sharing, I appreciate it!

LazyHermitCrab

you're right...about at least being paid to be uncomfortable lol. I really hope I don't have to retake a class. I was doing good, but this year is so bad...and my depression just makes everything worse...and I never have energy to work on stuff because of it. And yeah, some people do love presentations...my brother just adores them for some reason. Just to show that we are veeery different in terms of personalities. But thanks for sharing, I appreciate it!

It seems like you're in the need of a mental break. For summer, you should try to relax to the point of boredom even, so when you start up again you will feel more eager to finish up. Lol I feel kind of ironic attempting to give meaningful advice, because at college, I’m a total disaster, but luckily I commute. Just know you're not alone experiencing mental disorders at college. I'm doing a research paper on something similar btw. At least 29% of students are dealing with memory problems at school because of anxiety, depression, etc. I'm trying to research extra ways on how to improve it because it's kind of a problem. :p

Lou-s-Darkness

It seems like you're in the need of a mental break. For summer, you should try to relax to the point of boredom even, so when you start up again you will feel more eager to finish up. Lol I feel kind of ironic attempting to give meaningful advice, because at college, I’m a total disaster, but luckily I commute. Just know you're not alone experiencing mental disorders at college. I'm doing a research paper on something similar btw. At least 29% of students are dealing with memory problems at school because of anxiety, depression, etc. I'm trying to research extra ways on how to improve it because it's kind of a problem. :p
haha yeah. Me and my memory...funny story...When was the last time I didn't forget something? lol And I know that here are many others, I just wish I knew a few in real life. It might be easier to know someone who can relate. Like you're meeting someone like you. And I really do need a summer vacation...but I have no choice but to take an intensive English course since a friend is doing it too and I don't want to have to take English alone, what with all the presentations and group work we do...and I also dropped 2 English courses before lol....

And yes! Research is a very powerful tool when handling situations like these...if even just to raise awareness...Obviously not many people will understand what these illnesses are, but at least they'll know it's there...and maybe try to help :3

LazyHermitCrab

haha yeah. Me and my memory...funny story...When was the last time I didn't forget something? lol And I know that here are many others, I just wish I knew a few in real life. It might be easier to know someone who can relate. Like you're meeting someone like you. And I really do need a summer vacation...but I have no choice but to take an intensive English course since a friend is doing it too and I don't want to have to take English alone, what with all the presentations and group work we do...and I also dropped 2 English courses before lol....

And yes! Research is a very powerful tool when handling situations like these...if even just to raise awareness...Obviously not many people will understand what these illnesses are, but at least they'll know it's there...and maybe try to help :3

Yeah sometimes I see people who could have sa too, but they might not. It would be awesome to run into someone from this forum, but there's really no way to tell for sure, unless you make a friend here and just happen to be in the same area. Some people are just introverted, but not anxious. I dunno how to tell if someone has both... I guess extroverted ppl can have sa too, maybe. I mean i see people get embarrassed here and there, but it might just be at the moment, not that feeling of anxiety before something embarrasing even occurs, and so on. I'm glad you have a friend for English. :) Now you won't have to worry about picking a partner because you already got one. :p

Lou-s-Darkness

Yeah sometimes I see people who could have sa too, but they might not. It would be awesome to run into someone from this forum, but there's really no way to tell for sure, unless you make a friend here and just happen to be in the same area. Some people are just introverted, but not anxious. I dunno how to tell if someone has both... I guess extroverted ppl can have sa too, maybe. I mean i see people get embarrassed here and there, but it might just be at the moment, not that feeling of anxiety before something embarrasing even occurs, and so on. I'm glad you have a friend for English. :) Now you won't have to worry about picking a partner because you already got one. :p
lol yeah! She's a good person, but our relationship doesn't extend beyond school territory...She is a shy person. By that I mean just shy and nothing more...She does not strike me as a person with SA...she can still interact with others without panicking...and honestly running into someone from this forum would probably be something of a miracle, would it ever happen...I'm just hoping some day that I'll meet a person who can change my life...either a nice romantic relationship , or even just a friend that gets me.

I find oral presentations very hard to do, I can't do it. my eyesight fuzzes and my heart rate jumps and I find myself getting very hot and just talking a lot of rubbish, I can't even remember what I say, my brain kinda disconnects from my voice and I just speed through the notes as quickly as possible. I have had lots of advice though from people who know me well and they say deep breathes and take your time, practice lots and rehearse infront of people who know u well. present it a few times before the actually one and go over it again and again, its good to split ur work up into cards and highlight important words. I have one due in may and i'm stressing about it, but I need to pass it to pass my course so I can't not do it. Its so not me!

Lou-s-Darkness

Mine is also due in May, though I don't know how long it is...The teacher said she reserved the entire day...and I mean literally an entire day lol, since it is after the last day of class. It really helps when you tell yourself that it will be over and that it won't take long. And definitely, I don't remember anything I've said by the end of it! People have to tell me what I said, or how I said it otherwise I won't remember any of it. Most people are nervous, I actually know a few who are already/have been stressing about it from the very start. I know many people are nervous, but in the end (even after trying to convince myself that we're all thinking the same thing) I still get the feeling that there's no way they actually do feel as nervous as I am...that might be true, and it might not.

I think it's just my brain and issues trying to psych me out. I've heard people say the best way to get rid of your problems/fears is to confront them...but sometimes it just makes everything worse.

I am confident about this project, which helps big time in a presentation. Now if only I can feel less intimidated by it lol.

Thank you guys for the advice, it feels good to know that there really are other people out there who experience the same thing as me, makes me feel less alone in the world. :3

Lou-s-Darkness

Yes I agree, it does feel like a monster when it's one of those big crappy...argh...

And it's just a whole day reserved for everyone to present. Its supposed to be held in an office in their lobby...which just screams formal and BIG lol..I hope it's not more than 15 minutes per person, but I have a feeling it's going to be more than that. Teachers still aren't clear on that.

my presentation is 40 mins long, 30 mins presenting with 10 mins to ask questions, I am supposed to speak for 7 mins because I am presenting with three other people. 7 mins is a long time to talk for, I suppose I will be fine I guess, I just am so nervous...just have to get it over and done with because after that I have an exam then i'm way on holiday so everything is okay....just think positive eh!?

Lou-s-Darkness

Honestly, I'm very grateful that the oral is on the last day....so that I don't have to look at anyone or think of anything related to school...I can just ignore it and do other things that I usually have fun doing...It just pisses me off...then again when I'm angry or pissed I have an easier time presenting XD

Hopefully all will be good.

rosewood

It is nerve wrecking alright. I had to give a 35 min presentation last week in a lecture theatre and on camera. I guess everyones different but things that helped me.

- Remembering that everyone else is nervous
-Most people sitting there are probably not even listening they're just thinking about being up there themselves
-That most the dialogue in our lives happens in our heads and so those people are chattering away to themselves
-knowing that I know my subject matter better than any of them do so I can be confident in what I'm talking about
-Knowing that this is my opportunity to make an impression talking about something Im passionate about
-Focusing on my presentation and the content of what I am saying.
- I imagine that I am talking to myself in an empty room
-I smile and even make little jokes to help break the tension for myself because if people smile or laugh back then it helps me relax a bit more
-Knowing that nobody except for me can tell that I am nervous regardless of what I think they think..they cant tell just like I couldnt tell when I watched other people and thought they were totally comfortable up there until afterward I heard them saying they thought they were going to sh.it themselves haha
-Lastly that if I don't do it, it will eat me alive but if I do it, I will feel better about myself generally. And no matter what happens, in 35 mins it will all be over one way or the other.

wow...:applause:

Solitudes_Grace

Why are you in the Interior Design program? I suppose you are in it because you really like interior design. If it is something you are passionate about, try telling yourself things like, "I'm in this program because I f-ing love interior design! I'm doing this project and presentation because I f-ing love interior design!" I suppose what i am trying to say is that if you focus on your passion and take pride in the work you did for this particular project, I think that passion will show in your presentation. Have your passion drown out your feelings of fear.

UnderTheBoughs

When I was still at uni I had to give a short presentation for an industrial placement job. I seriously considered not going to interview.

I did go. It was a panel of 3 interviewers and I had to talk about some projects I did on the course. I got through it a lot better than I thought I did. I just prepared more than I had ever prepared for anything since probably my GCSEs or something. Preparation is key. Don't know what else to say.

In the end I didn't get the placement. I dropped out of uni that same year and now I work as a cleaner. But I'm happy I have a job though.

Zav

Wish I could offer some good advice. Unfortunately the last time I had to do a presentation in front of the class, I simply stopped midway and had to sit down. Just sort of mumbled to the teacher that I couldn't do it. I basically had a break down right there in front of everyone.

There were only 15 or so people in the class, so I don't look back on it with too much fear. But it sucked.

Lou-s-Darkness

I honestly think i shouldn't have joined this program....but it's too late to quit now....I didn't know what I wanted to do in life, so I figured, meh why not this? I like architecture, and I also wanted to do something with art. And it helps when you're passionate, I guess...

If I wasn't able to find a job after 3 years of torture....I'd probably shoot myself. It would be my last resort...and I wouldn't be able to land any other job.

I usually **** up my oral presentations, but sometimes it's bad and other times not so much...Talking just sucks lol.

Sometimes I wish I was mute, it would give me an excuse not to talk.

Zav

Maybe rather than dwell on the presentation, focus on the content. When you know your project is really good and you're confident in the information you're sharing, presenting might come easier. I mean, make the project something you want to share with others.

Lou-s-Darkness

That's actually what I'm trying to focus on now. I am proud of what I have done with my current project, despite what the teacher thinks...I am determined, passionate and hard working on it...hopefully my pride will show in my presentation :3