"The cost of shyness"

Silatuyok

Their maybe some real truth to that statement - although I realise this might be satire - The diathesis stress model for the aetiology of psychological disorders as well as other psychosocial contributions could be an indication that external environmental forces as opposed to primarily just internal causes (or vulnerabilities) could elude to just that. Everyone is right inside their own mind. The point is - no one outside of ourselves can be right about anyone or really question how another persons mind may work or what constitutes as accurate thinking or not - which is why, as I have discovered, helping people is a lot more than adjusting what may be perceived as inaccurate cognitive processes and more about appeasing and adjusting to an individuals personal distress, taking into account their background, culture, social status and other aspects of their life. Helping them to learn new skills and coping mechanisms in a way that they respond to in the most personal productive and positive way. People get angry and have often been confrontational (and sometimes violent) with me when I have tried to tell them that their thinking is wrong (whether it may be or not) or that their feelings should be discounted or marginalized due to any flawed understandings of the world around them.

Fascinating. I've always pondered this, but I've never really seen it put down in words before. Do you have any books or websites you would recommend to learn more?

coyote

...I realise this might be satire...

sadly, the type of thinking i satirized is encountered all too often

it is not my intention to tell people that their thinking is "wrong"

instead, i try to encourage everyone to question their own thinking

we're only right inside our own mind as long as we believe we are - but often those thoughts we believe so strongly in are the very things that are causing our problems

once we start questioning the validity of our thoughts, we can make real progress in the struggle to overcome their detrimental hold on us

Last edited:

Bronson99

I am not sure what you mean

I'm wondering what brings you here. If you are truthful in your profile, it says you're a psychiatric social worker--not exactly the kind of person I would think has social anxiety, because you have to be around people a lot, have to know the right things to say and when... it's just the kind of job that requires solid social skills. To me it seems like something not many people with SA could do.

MikeyC

can a mod liek remove accnt or sumting, dis prson mean
Unnecessary. You're being really arrogant lately, Bronson. Is something going on with you to make you post this way?

Quirk is right: social anxiety is not a simple problem. There are tangents and curves everywhere, and everyone suffers from it differently. Some situations affect people more than others. I have recently been asked why I'm even on this site, since apparently I can go to nightclubs. Different tangents.