Terrified to apply for work

I successfully completed graduate school, but am suddenly overwelmed with terror about applying for a professional job in the field- I had a definite interview set up by a friend, but chickened out. I am getting panic attacks just thinking about going to an interview. I am terrified, and am thinking of going back to the low paying job I am familar with. I haven't left my apartment in a day. How do I get over this? i thought I left this all behind me. I have this insane fear of success tied in with my social anxiety.

Flanscho

Been there too. But, at least for me in my life, there was no choice. There was no option of just staying at home or something. So I simply had to do it. And after a few job interviews, things improved.

Ithior

I was supposed to start looking for a job in September. I still haven't even completed my CV.

MelFit

Hola a todos,es mi primer mensaje :)

That´s my biggest fear. Work.

There´s no scape at work. Its not like school when we had more breaks and we had time to be on our own

:idontknow: sorry about my english

I did apply for jobs,it was very hard for me...I was in therapy....but i couldnt stand the employees,i get out of there .

But now my need of money is bigger than my fear I think. The thing is I still don´t get the jobs. they want experience,they want this,and that

But definitely,is the biggest fear cause it means compromise every day to be with these strangers

I think you should try temporary jobs and keep the other one as a back up

: I hope I can overcome my fears and also,practice my english here.:giggle:

Good luck,Charles

awkwardamanda

Ugh. You sound like me. I finished school and just couldn't bring myself to apply for jobs. I dreaded every part of it. Any time I looked at job boards I just got discouraged because everyone wants experience, even for simple, entry level jobs. (FYI: If it's only 1-2 years and it looks doable, just apply anyway.) I had no idea what to do about references. I was working at a store but I didn't want to ask anybody while I was still there. I just kept putting it off and not accomplishing anything. Three years after graduating, the store closed, which forced me look harder. I was able to ask a couple of people for references anyway, but I haven't needed them yet. Another year later, I'm still looking. I'm exhausted. It's discouraging because there isn't much worth applying for to begin with. I hate writing cover letters. I get anxious any time I send out an application. Then I'm just drained and I need to take a break before I deal with the next one. I'm pretty sure my degree from 2009 plus the fact I haven't worked outside of retail since then is a huge red flag because I'm not getting called back much. I'm probably just scaring you worse. Good luck. You're gonna need it.:sad:

theoutsider

I got through the interview process and was subsequently offered the position. I accepted but as my first day grew closer I began to dread my decision. I started last Monday and as of this writing have completed three full days. Know what? It's not all that bad. Sure, there are many new people and I've gotten more attention than I am comfortable with (they posted my picture on the inter-company website with a short bio...ugh!!!) and everyone kept stopping by to introduce themselves. Other than that, my pre-first day anxiety was unfounded. Sometimes the fear is the only thing that keeps us from enjoying our full potential.

R3K

I successfully completed graduate school, but am suddenly overwelmed with terror about applying for a professional job in the field- I had a definite interview set up by a friend, but chickened out. I am getting panic attacks just thinking about going to an interview. I am terrified, and am thinking of going back to the low paying job I am familar with. I haven't left my apartment in a day. How do I get over this? i thought I left this all behind me. I have this insane fear of success tied in with my social anxiety.

this is part of the reason why I never tried to succeed in college and dropped out once I gained the courage to tell my parents to stop forcing me to go to college.

MelFit

I think its terrified and its worst when u get the job,in some jobs i got..the employees just remind me of high school,gossip,name calling....Even though i defend myself now ,,,those things still happen...but anyways...I left those jobs cause i felt i needed a more armonic enviroment and the stress,the phobia...it was too much

I just want a better job with better people,or at least a job where i can say there's something good about it

DanielLewis

Despite your fear you know you must do your best and attempt to land a job in your field. If you don't, you'd have wasted years at college for nothing. It's not a matter of how you feel. It's what's the right thing to do and what's ultimately best for your future. You should probably be more afraid of working a low wage job for the rest of your life than going to an interview.

Ugh. You sound like me. I finished school and just couldn't bring myself to apply for jobs. I dreaded every part of it. Any time I looked at job boards I just got discouraged because everyone wants experience, even for simple, entry level jobs. (FYI: If it's only 1-2 years and it looks doable, just apply anyway.) I had no idea what to do about references. I was working at a store but I didn't want to ask anybody while I was still there. I just kept putting it off and not accomplishing anything. Three years after graduating, the store closed, which forced me look harder. I was able to ask a couple of people for references anyway, but I haven't needed them yet. Another year later, I'm still looking. I'm exhausted. It's discouraging because there isn't much worth applying for to begin with. I hate writing cover letters. I get anxious any time I send out an application. Then I'm just drained and I need to take a break before I deal with the next one. I'm pretty sure my degree from 2009 plus the fact I haven't worked outside of retail since then is a huge red flag because I'm not getting called back much. I'm probably just scaring you worse. Good luck. You're gonna need it.:sad:

I'm in the exact same boat, I graduated from grad school in 2009 and still haven't done anything with my degrees. Heck, I'm barely holding on to the low/minimum wage retail/entertainment jobs I currently have and can't pay all of my bills with. I'm too depressed to even think about the job searching process.

awkwardamanda

I'm in the exact same boat, I graduated from grad school in 2009 and still haven't done anything with my degrees. Heck, I'm barely holding on to the low/minimum wage retail/entertainment jobs I currently have and can't pay all of my bills with. I'm too depressed to even think about the job searching process.

Yes, we've had this discussion before. Being depressed is a huge hurdle to overcome. You get too depressed to deal with finding a new job and not having one yet just makes you more depressed. So you get caught in a vicious cycle and the longer it goes on, the more frustrating it gets and the less desirable of a candidate you become. Meanwhile everyone just thinks you got some useless degree and that you're not trying hard enough. When I was working I hardly had the time to look for a job. I spent too much time moping. At least now that I'm not working, I can be miserable for a while and still make time to look for a job (and it takes up a lot of my time). I really just wish I could find something so I could get on with the rest of my life.:sad:

Bex390

Hi T Charles,
I know exactly where you are coming from. The thought of an interview scares the hell out of me too. I have to make a presentation in January in front of 80 people and I am losing sleep over it already. I have been doing some research into hypnotherapy and came across a CD for sale on Amazon that has great reviews and I have ordered a copy. I only just joined this forum so I don't know if links are allowed the CD is called Overcome Anxiety and Panic Attacks by Sharon Shinwell. It only £10 so I thought it was worth the risk on the reviews alone. I think there was also another title for Fear of job interviews
Good luck Bx

Naesala

I know as well what you speak off. I was so scared for the first day, I literally was sick to my stomach, It took me 3 times to actually get going to work, the other times I just drove back home.
Its not much help maybe, but it gets better when you get more familiar with the new situation. But ofcourse it makes a huge difference where you work! Make sure your workplace suits you and you can feel at ease there. My first workplace was horrible, constant verbal abuse (and physical treats) and my boss actually called me a very bad name (which I wont repeat). Now I work at a much better place with collegues who actually show respect not just to me, but people in general. That way I can feel much safer and my background can truly be in the background.

andsorry

I did the same thing last month. You can do this just be confident. Think positive and call to schedule another meeting.

Capsaicin

Open to the idea of practice interviews? At least you could tackle a few of the worries ahead of time.