Talking does no good anymore

lifesnotfair

I have suffered from Mental Illness in greater than 20 years. I am pretty sure i have some aspect of autism considering my behaviors. Of course nobody has ever diagnosed me so who knows.. I have huge anxiety problems, major depression, OCD. I have seen doctors, counsellors, psychiatrists, psychologists, and absolutely nothing has done anything to relieve my stress, anxiety or depression. I keep telling people my problems, but the more and more i tell them, the more i close up. Because from experience, talking to people that are trained to listen to problems has done nothing from me. The medications that i have been taking have changed me physically, and have caused some major problems recently. When your doctor tells you that the benefits outweigh the negative side effects, you think you would trust them to make the right decisions. It turned out to be another falsehood.

I have been through every source of humiliation, bullying, and harassment even up to months ago. I can't even leave my house now because i am extremely paranoid, and i can't deal with people anymore. In the matter of fact i have never been able to fit in socially. So i don't know how to deal with people or some real life events in a proper way. I have so many problems, and medications aren't really helping. Its so bad that I can't work, or do any sort of function other than basic things.

I know this seems like a rant, and unstructured, I am just tired...I really don't have a place in this world anymore..

Are the medications helping with the worst of the symptoms? Or not at all?

I found therapy to be - wait for it - no help at all, over many years on & off.

I've had a fair bit of humiliation, bullying, and harassment over the years (including a few months back in hospital, of all places). I try to turn my thoughts into positive when such things occur, but that can be hard. I think people can sense your fear/anxiety/unhapiness/etc & certain people act on it via bullying/etc.

I also have many problems, but i try to focus on the present moment, and to deal with just how i'm feeling right now, rather than constantly worry about all my problems.

Last edited:
Sadly I can relate to your post.
I have found over the years that talking to people who are trained to listen to people's problems, results in you getting a response from them that is similar to a robot, spitting out an analysis and advice that you'll find written in any universal psych text book.

If the text book/one-size-fits-all advice they spit out doesn't "fit" your individual beginning/cause/symptoms of your problem, then too bad.......It's YOUR fault the text book advice is not working for you.

I believe talking therapy can only work for people if they have only been experiencing the problem/s for a relatively short time in their life.

If it has gone undiagnosed, or untreated for many, many, years, and the tracks in your brain become so trodden on, worn down, so deep, after all those years, that no amount of seed planting will ever make grass grow over the worn dirt track ever again.

The surface of the worn dirt track in your brain has become so impacted, no seeds (i.e. advice, or instructions to follow) will ever be able to take root and survive long enough to grow into the desired nice green grass to cover the unsightly, long-used dirt track of your problem.

lily

I still need to do more talking w/ counsellors b/c I believe my problem lies where I didn't talk enough. I need to talk, talk, talk, talk, talk! ACTION! Not just words!

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
The surface of the worn dirt track in your brain has become so impacted, no seeds (i.e. advice, or instructions to follow) will ever be able to take root and survive long enough to grow into the desired nice green grass to cover the unsightly, long-used dirt track of your problem.

Damn, that's good stuff, Blue.

Facethefear

I understand the need to have the words spoken and the emotions released. I live alone and I talk aloud when I have that urge. Pretend you are talking to God.

PeterO

Talk therapy has never really worked for me. I'm so focused on being judged and on what the therapist/counselor is really thinking that I can't be honest.

Ransfordrowe

Life at times can be unfair and bad things do happen to good people.But if a person behaves like a victim then the world will treat you like one.Users and abusers will seek you out.Positive thinking is important to help see opportunity when it arises.A glass half full mind set is important but I realize that's easier send than done but it's possible to become more positive .The victim mind set does us no favours in moving forward and improving our lives.Thats why I stopped thinking like a victim.