Suicide help thread

Xion

I almost committed suicide today... I was going to stab myself in the chest.. But my sister came and stopped me.. If it wasn't for her, I would've died today by my own hand.. I still have the thoughts of suicide.. And I'm unable to stop it.. Please tell me guys, what should I do to stop these thoughts of suicide??

Sacrament

Why do you think your life is miserable enough to warrant killing yourself? Are you in counseling?

Xion

Why do you think your life is miserable enough to warrant killing yourself? Are you in counseling?

Because I always thought that I don't deserve to exist in this world.. That feeling was encouraged when a person who I thought of as afriend deleted my FR on facebook.. And no, I am not in counseling..

Sacrament

You deserve whatever you tell yourself you deserve. Lucky for you, you have a choice in that matter. Regardless of what that person did or didn't do, you never stop deserving to be happy (unless you're a serial killer or something of the sort!). Try to engage in activities that get you out of your own mind. Find volunteer work near your home (helping animals, helping the elderly, helping the homeless) and get involved in helping others. It'll make you feel like a better person, like there's a purpose, that your existence is bringing some good into this world. Have your sister go with you at first if it's overwhelming, but whatever you do don't stagnate.

Zaki

I'm so sorry things got to that point. I think the advice above is good. I actually got involved with volunteer work during a time when I was at a very low point and it really helped to lift my spirits. It was a really inspiring and awesome experience for me. It is amazing how having a positive effect on someone else can have a positive effect on you. I would suggest trying to stay as productive as possible. Don't give yourself too much time to entertain negative thoughts. Don't allow your mind to remain idle for too long. The more focus and energy you put into bringing forth positive results, the less space and time negative thoughts have to occupy your mind. I would suggest finding someone to talk to as well. There is nothing wrong with seeking professional help. I have done this myself and it has helped save my life. There are suicide prevention hotlines. You do deserve to exist. Your life has purpose and value. Hang in there.

ryan2022

I agree with the above post. Being stagnant is a vicious circle.
Set your mind on something, a group, volunteer organization or new hobby, and go for it!

Kiwong

You need to speak to someone who is qualified to help with these issues.

Life can change for the better, but it you die you will miss out on the good stuff.

hoddesdon

If you live in Australia then you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

If not, perhaps there is a similar organization where you live, or maybe a clergyman or doctor can help.

Remus

Staff member
Sorry to hear that, good that your sister is there for you, do you live with family? Maybe chat to family members who might understand and show empathy for what you are going through?

Because I always thought that I don't deserve to exist in this world.. That feeling was encouraged when a person who I thought of as afriend deleted my FR on facebook.. And no, I am not in counseling..

Man, screw Facebook friends and all that crap. You really shouldn't get your life value from there - it's a really bad indicator social connectivity.

There's more than a few really bad people on this world and we need every harmless and gentle spirited person on the planet to stay to balance them out. That means you too.

I know it's hard sometimes- and during certain periods, a lot of the time, but nothing is final. You're valuable in ways you don't realize and by killing yourself you take that value with you. The world would be a lesser place for it.

Unless you've killed several people without remorse or tortured one or more people, there's no reason why you should not deserve to live.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Because I always thought that I don't deserve to exist in this world..

I feel pretty close to that quite a bite, I think of it less of not deserving to exist, but more of there's nothing for me here. Not sure what has kept me from attempting suicide though.

Sucks tho, I hope you feel better and can get past those feelings

Last edited:

Steiner

Yeah I tried a couple of years back and it can really seem like a relief to think of. For me the idea of suicide is a fantasized escape for me which I guess can become a reality. I'd think overall you have to improve your general situation but I am not sure what your situation is or what you want from life. Sometimes even that doesn't help though.

A tricky thing.

Xion

Sorry to hear that, good that your sister is there for you, do you live with family? Maybe chat to family members who might understand and show empathy for what you are going through?

I explained my situation to my sister.. She told my parents just like how i explained my situation to her.. They didn't understand what I was going through.. All they said was that I was stupid and that I should try to be happy..

Monkish1

It sounds like your family lacks empathy. It really hurts when people who are supposed to care about us just dismiss our thoughts or feelings, whether they mean to or not. I like what BlackPuma said, about having value you don't realize yet. There may be no fair treatment at home, but that doesn't mean you should abuse yourself. Please take some time to get your strength back.

As for stopping the thoughts, I cannot help as I have them too. But realize that thoughts are all they are, not directives. Maybe accepting the thoughts and depression as part of who you are right now is not bad, but a temporary condition of the mind. Some of the best(and most ridiculous) advice my psychotrickerist gave me for fighting despair is to watch comedy.

Bronson99

If you're not an extrovert, Facebook will mostly just make you feel worse about yourself. It's a simple, general rule.. I advise you follow suit and delete your Facebook account. Why would you want something in your life that's just going to terrorize your self-esteem?

Nobody needs that. The good thing is you have the option to delete it. So go right ahead and do so. I guarantee you're better off without it.

Xion

If you're not an extrovert, Facebook will mostly just make you feel worse about yourself. It's a simple, general rule.. I advise you follow suit and delete your Facebook account. Why would you want something in your life that's just going to terrorize your self-esteem?

Nobody needs that. The good thing is you have the option to delete it. So go right ahead and do so. I guarantee you're better off without it.

Okay.. But I don't know how to delete a Facebook account.. Can you tell me how to delete it??

Sacrament

Options -> Security -> Deactivate your account

But only delete your account if that's really what you want to do, and if you feel like it's necessary. It might just make you feel more detached from the world. Maybe you could do something in between, and just have your closest friends/family members as facebook friends.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've thought of suicide so many times I've lost count.

I've been strong against it for so long.
I've been standing on the edge of the black abyss looking down.
Why haven't I ended it all yet? What keeps me from doing it..

I guess I believe no matter how bad things get, things can always change. Sometimes there are days where I think 'gee I'm glad I was here to experience this'.

Don't look to others for understanding for your reasons for wanting to end it.
Do look to others for support against doing it.

You only have 1 life.
One of my favorite quotes is

'Don't go looking for Death boy. It finds us all soon enough'.