Stop working - living in low-cost countries

durda_dan

thats why when i get old i plan to move to a little island off the coast of nowhere called Tanna, The whole island is smaller than most cities, it has a population of a few hundred, nearly no travellers, Only clear water, fish, a volcano, and clothing optional.

mndigi

Recently there has been a trend for stressed individuals who are sick of society to spend some time in Bhutan, a very calm, beautiful, peaceful country near the Himalayas.

Society there is dominated by spirituality and Buddhism and not consumerism or other 'evils' associated with developed countries. If you come from a rich, developed country, you can be wealthy in Bhutan because things are very cheap there.

If you like Nature you will enjoy the scenary and wildlife too. I hope to one day go on a journey to that place and spend my life there.

Here's some pictures of Bhutan really really amazing!!! (taken from Wikipedia)

It is definitely a social phobic's haven!

I love mountains! But living in mountains is a toughie's job :) I am person from the plains.

Argamemnon

About 3 years ago, I had the money, and I should have done it. But I took a chance to keep staying in the US. But now I know better. I am going to make that money again and head to India. You can lead a comfortable life with rents as the Original poster pointed out. Even the medical expenses are cheap there.
Are you Indian?

sleepysparrow

If we don't move to a low cost country to live there, we should at least plan a visit to a country that is cheap (like Cuba) and meet each other!

mndigi

Actually if you stopped working and always stayed indoors or isolated from the society, then what you would be doing is scratching a bad itch to turn it septic and infected, instead of curing it. What I am saying is, what we NEED is to live like normal people. Else it becomes more and more difficult to cure ourselves.

Hushabye

The city where I live (Santiago) is very expensive, actually the third most expensive in south america. Here kids lives with their parents until they get married!, and even is common that the married couples still live with the parents of one of them during the first years of marriage, until they became more economic stable. Is very hard to buy/rent your own house or appartment. Sometimes I wish i could live in a small, rural town, where life is more cheap, quiet and simple. But I don't think i could last more than two weeks without getting bored.

sabbath9

Banned
Being a landlord sucks. I live next door to some renters and they can't even learn to buy garbage bags. They'll have lots of parties and drink lots of beer. But the concept of putting garbage in bags eludes them.

I'm currently telecommuting 20+ hours a week from home. Maybe in the future I can telecommute full time and live in a more rural setting.

I listen to Neil Rogers on the radio from 10am-2pm, he does his Miami radio show from Toronto. Now that's telecommuting. The Neil Rogers Show

Ashiene

If we don't move to a low cost country to live there, we should at least plan a visit to a country that is cheap (like Cuba) and meet each other!

Go to Bhutan, its very peaceful and calm there, very little people (population of less than 1 million) and lots of natural scenery.

Ashiene

The city where I live (Santiago) is very expensive, actually the third most expensive in south america. Here kids lives with their parents until they get married!, and even is common that the married couples still live with the parents of one of them during the first years of marriage, until they became more economic stable. Is very hard to buy/rent your own house or appartment. Sometimes I wish i could live in a small, rural town, where life is more cheap, quiet and simple. But I don't think i could last more than two weeks without getting bored.

In my country, Singapore, it's like that too. Here, kids live with parents until they get married. Moving out before marriage is unheard of here. I don't think anyone here does that.

Also, many married couples here live with their parents even after marriage. The main reason is because we are an extremely small country and alot of our land is reclaimed from the sea.

Couple this with a large population and an explosive influx of foreigners, there is simply not enough room to build apartments for everyone if they all decide to move out at 18 years old. The apartments grow taller and taller because like I said earlier, alot of the reclaimed land cannot support the weight of large buildings, so we have to expand vertically instead of horizontally.

There's also a policy here that only married couples can buy their own apartment units, for the reasons I stated above. If you're single, you can only rent, but few people do that.

Argamemnon

Good luck moving to Turkey. Maybe you'll find an affordable place to live in Anatolia.
Thanks, you seem to know what you're talking about (have you been there?) It worries me though that the country is changing so fast. By the time I move there, it will most likely have become a "developed" country, and I will have to look at other countries.

Last edited:

Ashiene

Thanks, you seem to know what you're talking about (have you been there?) It worries me though that the country is changing so fast. By the time I move there, it will most likely have become a "developed" country, and I will have to look at other countries.

Hi. At end of last year, I went to Turkey for 10-day vacation with my family. It's a nice place, good food, and very friendly people. Strangely they like to approach me to sell me sex enhancement pills :eek:.

I like the chicken kebab and the ice cream is the best I've ever eaten. I think it's already a very developed country, cause I went to the cities and they are very clean and modern.

Ashiene

I have to say Turkish girls are extremely beautiful and Turkish guys are extremely handsome people.

I think it's because alot of the Turkish people are of mixed parentage (Caucasian + Arab). It gives them that very exotic and unique look which I appreciate.

I hope to go Turkey again one day :D

Argamemnon

Turks are very mixed with so many different peoples, mostly Caucasian. Turks are so mixed that it's impossible to say anything about them as a race. There is no such thing as "Turk", lol.

Ashiene

Are the people of Bhutan friendly to whites?

Bhutan is the only country that is rated by Gross National Happiness instead of Gross Domestic Product. It is a deeply spiritual country that values its natural beauty and its traditional way of life and tries very hard to maintain its culture.

Although it is open to tourism with many luxury hotels, many of the tourists who visit Bhutan opt to go for solely for spiritual reasons, like an escape from modern society and to experience harmony with Nature and calmness of the mind.

The people of Bhutan will, of course, welcome anyone there, as long as you enjoy their country.

Oscelot

I guess I'll start saving then.:)

It's a beautiful country with amazing forests and mountains, plenty of wildlife, an honest government, and what look to be great people. Not to mention the pot growing wild on every street corner, so much that they feed it to their livestock.

Why the hell not?