Starting from square one

aj

Oh well. Everyone I knew from work is the, "you're a nice guy as long as you don't actually try to be my friend" type of person. The one person I was still talking to about going out has now become a twunt like all the others, and is telling me, "yes we can go out for a quick drink, sorry for not answering your messages" and then carrying on and ignoring me. Why does everyone do this? Why do they all have mysterious memory/phone/credit problems? Why can't they just tell me to leave them alone if that's what they want?

So I've now been out of work for about 10 months, and the money I saved up by having no life is drying up bit by bit. Nothing has changed. 23rd birthday went by like every other one. I know I should try to get a job but I can't get any motivation - any self esteem I built up is gone, I feel like ****, I don't want to get myself stuck in another rut and I don't know why I scared off all of the people I met before. When I was working a year ago it was a weird mix of growing confidence and yet still wondering every day why I couldn't get close to anyone. Why bother unless you badly need the money? I'm sick of the constantly shifting goalposts (things will change when you go to school - college - get a job - get another job). Even my parents say I will make friends when I get a job, completely ignoring the fact that I had one with sociable people and which I really enjoyed for two and a half years. I remember thinking to myself near the end, in the middle of a day there, "if I can't get a friend here, then I won't get one anywhere." Maybe next time will be different, but it won't, will it.

I would try to join a club but how do you even start? How do you find them? Frankly I hate any kind of club or group even doing things I like so where does that leave me!?

Please give me some ideas.

(Also, it would be good if you could tell me how much of a bad idea it would be to tell the 27 aforementioned twunts, in a Facebook status update, that they are all twunts. Not that half of them would probably even read it. None of them know where I live - it may be fun for five minutes to provoke some reactions? Do I really care any more?)

:rolleyes:

reslo

i have a hard time socializing too- i've been working at my job for 5 months- haven't socialized with a person outside of work at all- but i know my co-workers hang out with each other they just have never invited me (but i've never invited them to anything either, so I don't hold that against them, and i don't have a facebook so im out of the loop completely).
i think that you can't take out all your anger on everyone for all the previous times you felt ignored- why not take the person up on their offer for a drink? they may not have replied as quick as you like, but hey if they're coming around, why not? you can't be mad at everyone forever. (and telling everyone to suck it via facebook would probably feel good in the short term, but it would be hurtful in the long haul)

Last edited:

aj

I don't expect everyone to want to spend time with me. That would be ridiculous. Take this one person though - I sat next to her for quite a while at work, we were always civil to each other, but when I left she didn't give me her phone number to stay in contact, and I noticed recently that she's removed me as a friend on Facebook. It may sound odd but that's what I want - at least I know where I stand. Most people give with one hand and take with the other. I don't really want to shout at everyone like that, I'm trying to stop myself, I know it would be a bit silly.

I did take the person up on the offer. That was a week and a bit ago now, and it's the same thing I got with everyone else - they tell me they want to but trying to get a text back is like getting blood out of a stone. Again, if something is happening, then I wish they would tell me to leave them alone for couple of weeks or whatever. I never have a clue what the hell is going on.

I don't go on Facebook much any more, it's (ironically) full of people posting whiny statuses and for me it's now basically a list of people who I might try and say hello to in ten years time.

Sorry this way still just moaning reslo ::(:

I'm looking into the St. John's wort - have never really looked before, but it looks good.

aj

I've bought a bottle of St. John's wort capsules. Maybe they'll help. If I can swallow them.

Ignace

I've bought a bottle of St. John's wort capsules. Maybe they'll help. If I can swallow them.

I tried it and Valerian but I didn't do sh*t for me. They say if you believe in it it does work.. Try it.:)

LazyHermitCrab

get a dog? anytime i walk one people come up to me and act friendly no matter how weird i act. if the dogs there, then people approach me more.. or maybe just the dog and i'm just there..

Diend

It's maybe time to look for friends you made as a kid or friends you made that you don't feel "you're a nice guy as long as you don't actually try to be my friend" about.

In retrospect, I don't feel any anxiety talking to a elementary school classmate that I haven't seen in years. I'll even be a bit assertive and cheerful. People I see everyday in high school, I can't feel that relaxed about!

As I heard, joining a religious group sounds like a good idea-- what I'm saying is going to church either by yourself or preferably with somebody that doesn't make you feel like "____". Family members?

aj

So many replies. Sorry if I miss anyone.

Of course I've only been taking the pills for about five days so maybe they haven't really started working properly. But it does feel like some of the thoughts are being blocked a bit. I don't know if that's the intended effect. I'm the biggest sceptic of alternative stuff (though herbal isn't anywhere near as bad as some) and I'm aware of that it's probably just be me.

I grew up with dogs, I'd love to have one. I just don't think it would be fair on the dog at the moment though. I've never looked after anything.

I don't have friends from school. I got in contact with the person I liked the most but they've moved far away from me. There is nobody.

Thanks for the suggestion of church, but I'm not religious at all. It's not happening. Sorry and no offence meant.

The only reason I'm still here is because I'm not clever enough to work out how to end it all and also that I don't want to hurt my family.

I can't help thinking that if somebody would just give me a leg up, it would be all I need. I get so, so close to it but in the end nobody ever gives it to me. I would love to walk out that door tomorrow and just act like this is all gone. The problem is that I DO need somebody to teach me the basics.

I'm rambling.

Oh, and it's now been 23 years. Great.

missjesss

Banned
awwww im so sorry to hear you are feeling like this it makes me sad :-(

are you on any anti depressants? if not you shud be or you should be taking some top supplements like st johns wort and lots of fish oils :)

get yourself a job! try your hardest to step out of your comfort zone & 4get about those idiots who didnt call you back, im sure that happens to "normal ppl" aswel not just ppl with sa ...

do you have family you can call upon?

cheer up! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

aj

Don't be sad because of me ::(: I am trying St John's wort.

When I was working, it did give me a lot of confidence. It was nice doing something reasonably worthwhile and getting out of the house. On the other hand I was still going to sleep every night feeling terrible wondering why I couldn't connect with any of the 60+ people in the place. I still had nobody who wanted to know me outside of work. This was when I felt really happy and comfortable... so why bother? It hardly gives me the push I need to try something else.

My family are there but they go out as much as me so they're no help.

Ah yes... shifting goalposts... It's like a mirage, you run all the way there and it appears somewhere else and you've got to chase it again and again... Wish I could say something comforting, but I'm pretty much in the same situation, returning to square one.

aj

if you have no life and no friends, and tomorrow you were going to walk out the front door and meet some people... where would you go?

Ah yes... shifting goalposts... It's like a mirage, you run all the way there and it appears somewhere else and you've got to chase it again and again... Wish I could say something comforting, but I'm pretty much in the same situation, returning to square one.

you get what I mean then.