Spirituality through SA?

Lostinthemusic

So I recently had what I would call a spiritual awakening and I had never been all that interested in things of that nature before, but now (I'm reluctant to say it, but...) I know there is something more to life. Whatever that may be.

Anyone else out there who considers themselves spiritual, in tune with the divine, believers, etc.? What is it you believe?

Keep in mind that spiritual does not necessarily imply a belief in God. Also keep in mind that God is just a word that has too many expectations behind it. I have felt Love and I know what it is to simply Be, but I still have a lot of work to do.

I realize this is a topic that could get out of hand, but this is a thread of NON-JUDGEMENT! All religions and beliefs are welcome. A discussion does not have to be a heated argument.

Thanks for your time, I don't know where else I can bring this up without either judgement or persuasion from someone.

Lostinthemusic

You mean you believe

Fair enough

But why can't some people know? More to life for me means realizing happiness is achievable. For others this is surely different. I just don't understand why so many assumptions are made by everyone (including myself) when anything God related is brought up. I believe in science as well. I believe the two are harmonious. I don't believe in God as a solitary figure, more as a collective term for everything which, for me, is greater than the sum of its parts. If God is the wrong word, fine, but I don't see why it has to be.

Last edited:

upndwn

I think almost all people believe in something or at least wants to believe that there is a higher purpose and a meaning to it all. I am not religious, not even slightly, but I have experienced episodes which I can only describe as spiritual. Episodes where I have had a profound feeling of wholeness and serenity. These experiences has mostly been when I have been meditating or in the wee hours when I lay in my bed thinking about life and death, and what it all means.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that it is not about the destination but the journey. What we see, feel and experience in life, both good or bad, these things that makes us feel alive these are the things that define us as human beings and enlightenment comes from the experience itself not the actions that leads up to them.

Lostinthemusic

I think almost all people believe in something or at least wants to believe that there is a higher purpose and a meaning to it all. I am not religious, not even slightly, but I have experienced episodes which I can only describe as spiritual. Episodes where I have had a profound feeling of wholeness and serenity. These experiences has mostly been when I have been meditating or in the wee hours when I lay in my bed thinking about life and death, and what it all means.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that it is not about the destination but the journey. What we see, feel and experience in life, both good or bad, these things that makes us feel alive these are the things that define us as human beings and enlightenment comes from the experience itself not the actions that leads up to them.

An excellent way to put into words what I've been thinking, thank you.

whatisis

No. Actually religion is what made me SA. I'm almost over it now. I dropped religion and feel much better.
I've mostly gotten over the anxiety of talking to people and in public.
Just a few more road blocks to push through.

upndwn

No. Actually religion is what made me SA. I'm almost over it now. I dropped religion and feel much better.
I've mostly gotten over the anxiety of talking to people and in public.
Just a few more road blocks to push through.

I just want to point out that there is a huge difference between organized religion and a belief in a higher power. Sure, organized religion is built around the concept, but rarely do they allow for a personal interpretation of your beliefs. Not a stab against religious people, just my personal opinion.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
So I recently had what I would call a spiritual awakening and I had never been all that interested in things of that nature before, but now (I'm reluctant to say it, but...) I know there is something more to life. Whatever that may be.

Anyone else out there who considers themselves spiritual, in tune with the divine, believers, etc.? What is it you believe?
I don't understand why you titled the thread what you did. Are you saying that by having social anxiety, it has helped your spiritual awareness? That your fears have helped you become in tune with the divine? :confused:

Nanita

I began having an "awakening" some years ago..

You´re welcome to send me a private message if u wanna talk about this.

I´m tired of discussing these kinda things here openly, because most people don´t get it and they spend a lot of time CRITICIZING when people speak about spirituality and such. For some reason it provokes people.

hoddesdon

I began having an "awakening" some years ago..

You´re welcome to send me a private message if u wanna talk about this.

I´m tired of discussing these kinda things here openly, because most people don´t get it and they spend a lot of time CRITICIZING when people speak about spirituality and such. For some reason it provokes people.

You are right to say that people believing in the spiritual realm get howled down. Some people should read rule 4 of this site.

What happens is that it becomes personal. In sport that is called playing the man not the ball.

So yes, discussing it seems a fruitless exercise for that reason. However, it is still necessary to do it, so that both sides of the argument are put.

So, whatever the reaction may be, let me say that the OP is absolutely right. The spiritual realm exists.

Remus

Staff member
I realize this is a topic that could get out of hand, but this is a thread of NON-JUDGEMENT! All religions and beliefs are welcome. A discussion does not have to be a heated argument.

The mod team will make sure this stays on topic and will delete posts not adhering to that.

EscapeArtist

I had an 'awakening' about 3 years ago, I don't really know how to explain it, but it began with realizing that the freedom and simplicity of nature were very important! It felt like a huge revelation when I was 15 and living a complex life in a suburb...

Now my belief is simply of the how, the way, technically my beliefs relate very well to daoism. It's that way of balance and of nature's flow, interconnectedness and patterns that I believe in. The closer you live to these the more at peace and centered you become.
Also do believe in energy, living things as energy, and energy release upon death.
and that everything is a piece, and microcosm, of everything in all (rational) ways. Every piece is a microcosm, every thing as a piece.

Sometimes I wonder if life was created because something or some/the energy became out of balance in the universe, requiring further creations as defenses to keep the balance of everything. I have no thoughts on that one yet.... But it would mean that balance ultimately is the purpose of life. Which makes sense, as everything that be is created out of necessity of it's place

Last edited:

alanj

SA definitely put me on the Spiritual road, because I was desperate to find peace and joy in life. All the Spiritual books I have read have been immensely helpful to me. I don't have much time for Religions, especially the Religions that see God as an entity outside of us, that we must somehow appease and who, let's face it, kinda has an ego like us.

Meditation and keeping a calm mind really helps me.

Nanita

Thanks for sharing (and thanks to Hoddesdon & Remus for the reminder that we should be able to express ourselves without fear of being bullied........)

I had something like a life crisis 10 years ago. I felt sad, purposeless, I changed a lot as a person, lost all my friends and lost interest for my hobbies and usual activities. Tried to get better with medication, psychiatry, group therapy. That didn´t help me.

In my longing for inner peace, I got interested in self development, healing, reincarnation, teachings of enlightened masters (Jesus, Buddha, etc).
I now use meditation, prayer and visualization everyday, to calm the mind and to connect with what I think is source/higher self/spiritual guide.
I consciously use praying and techniques to heal any pain or discomfort.
I´m not interested in/fond of established religions...

upndwn

SA definitely put me on the Spiritual road, because I was desperate to find peace and joy in life. All the Spiritual books I have read have been immensely helpful to me. I don't have much time for Religions, especially the Religions that see God as an entity outside of us, that we must somehow appease and who, let's face it, kinda has an ego like us.

Meditation and keeping a calm mind really helps me.

Pretty much sums up how I got on the path of spirituality. The funny thing is I'm not religious at all, but I do believe in a higher purpose, a collective consciousness if you will. Maybe that is what God is, to be one with everything and see the beauty of existence through non-biased eyes.

alanj

Yeah, there is a huge irony here: if you start talking about Spirituality with people, they can often think you are very religious, which could hardly be further from the truth; and no matter what you say, you are frustratingly wrongly pigeonholed:eek: