Some lovely words of advice from my mum's boyfriend.

SweetCupcake

boyfriend. Apparently people like me wont go far in life, because without social skills you're screwed. He says I don't know how to converse with others, which are survival skills::(:
I went on to tell him that at least I could spell, and I was academic. Then he went nuts, saying that he was probably dyslexic. I'm really having to bite my tongue :(

Last edited:

black-wings

same issue here. i get on fine with what i have and even managed to make some very important friends and people in my life but my social skills need to be sharpened. do you think you bf is maybe jealous of you and your academic accomplishments? maybe?

JamesSmith

I'll say that I'm very sorry you had to hear those harsh words from this guy, but at the same time I think his theory is interesting. He's basically saying you won't survive if you can't talk to other people. I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but I imagine you have some way to receive help with having food and shelter, a lot of people have parents that let their kids stay at the parents house for a while too. Because of parental and government help, we are able to survive w/out social skills. Just because you don't talk to anyone, doesn't mean you are going to die. Millions of people live their whole lives with depression and anxiety. Your mom's boyfriend is wrong. He's stereotyping Social Anxiety Disorder people into one category, the category that doesn't make it due to suicide. We live in an industrialized world in the 21st century, your mom's boyfriend is stuck in the past.

SweetCupcake

well the way she sees it is that because it's his house, he could make us homeless.
She basically said that I shouldn't have said anything.
I was just sticking up for my brother because my mum's boyfriend said that his friend called my brother a geek because he plays computer games. Then I told him that his friend is as thick as ****, then it just escalated.

Rembrandt Broam

well the way she sees it is that because it's his house, he could make us homeless.

Your mum needs to get a new boyfriend, or better yet create a situation where she and her children are not dependent on a guy. I'm cringing just thinking about your situation - don't disagree with him, don't rock the boat, don't say anything that might make him throw you out. Manipulative, bullying and controlling men seek out women in that position, because they know they have them right where they want them. :mad:

I was just sticking up for my brother because my mum's boyfriend said that his friend called my brother a geek because he plays computer games. Then I told him that his friend is as thick as ****, then it just escalated.

Good for you for sticking up for your brother!

JamesSmith

Do you have agencies in England that give you food stamps and shelter support? Could it be possible if you have a low income to get help finding a place for yourself and your brother?

Pookah

Your mum needs to get a new boyfriend, or better yet create a situation where she and her children are not dependent on a guy. I'm cringing just thinking about your situation - don't disagree with him, don't rock the boat, don't say anything that might make him throw you out. Manipulative, bullying and controlling men seek out women in that position, because they know they have them right where they want them. :mad:

Good for you for sticking up for your brother!

I agree with Rembrandt.

This sounds like my mother she has always been dependent on a man and would cater to him above her children.

I don't know how old you and your brother are but I hope when you guys can you will find a better situation. My brothers and I each moved out as we came of age.

Kiwong

Sounds like your mum's boyfriend social skills are not escpecially well developed.

The diplomacy of a sloth, the pateince of an insect and the sensitivity of a pirahna.