Social Anxiety You Always Had It or you "Got" it ?

Have you ever had SA, or you got it later in life?

• I can remeber not having SA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonnyD

i was reading a post and i see that some people , like me, say always had Social Anxiety, i can't remember being not affraid of social contact, even as a kid. And others , say that they had a time where their didn't had SA.

HAve you ever had SA, or you can remeber some moment where you haven't had SA, or the time you got it??

Ubersonic

My extreme shyness as a kid just kind of morphed into SA as I grew up. People tell me I was very quiet as a child. I remember being told that I will "grow out of it".

weak

I don't think it's something you're born with, just like I dont believe people are "born gay". Experiences are what shape us. My SA is just the result of having some really bad experiences as a kid.

Ubersonic said:
People tell me I was very quiet as a child. I remember being told that I will "grow out of it".

Same thing for me, I was really shy when I was a kid and am still that way i guess, but I think it was in high school that I realized that I might have SA. That is not to say I only developed SA in high school.
I may have had it all my life, but I wouldn't have known because it really didn't worry me or bother me until high school came around. Now I know I have it.

Agitprop

As a kid, I was very uninhibited. Even thought at the time others kids made fun of me and teased me, etc (like is normal for little kids to do) I just didn't care and was completely confident in myself. I completely changed after I immigrated and the adjustment process completely screwed me up.

lettypagb

i never had shyness , i was always the outgoing kid ,but when i moved to usa ,like the first day ,was already very different ,i think after 2 years ,i got sa.

dottie

i believe that i was conditioned to be this way since an early age with a biological predisposition of sensitivity. i cannot remember not being shy. i don't believe in people who act like they suddenly caught SAD as if they caught a cold. maybe something tramatic happened and they are dealing with PTSD which is manifesting with symptoms very similar to SAD.

PS: i think i voted for the wrong thing ^ up there ^ because the wording was unclear.

weak said:
I don't think it's something you're born with, just like I dont believe people are "born gay".

Sorry, but as a "born gay" gay I have to disagree seeing as I've never found women attractive and find choosing to be gay in society really fucking dumb. I respect your right to an opinion however.

lyricalliaisons

weak said:
I don't think it's something you're born with, just like I dont believe people are "born gay". Experiences are what shape us.
Just like the guy above said, I definitely respect your right to your own opinion. But, for me, not only was I born with SA, I was also born gay.

Weirdo

weak said:
I don't think it's something you're born with, just like I dont believe people are "born gay".
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I know two people who are gay and they want to kill themselves because of it. One of them also believes that when he kills himself, he will be reborn as a normal person. Now do you still think that they chose to be gay?

weak said:
I don't think it's something you're born with, just like I dont believe people are "born gay". Experiences are what shape us. My SA is just the result of having some really bad experiences as a kid.

Just because I'm really tired of hearing all my life that I must've had bad childhood experiences (heck, teachers always wanted to know if I was being abused), and we need some balance with people from the other side refusing to admit that anyone not like us exists no matter how many testimonials we hear, I hereby deny that it's possible to have non-genetic social anxiety.

A normal person would've dealt with all your bad experiences in a very different way, like a life of crime for example, while remaining social. You have a genetic predisposition to crawl into your shell when you encounter troubles. Many genetic diseases have a delayed onset, and experiences can trigger the specific time of arrival, but the important point is that you were born with the time bomb and it was destined to go off eventually. You are a product of your genetics, period, and even with the most pampered life something would've eventually triggered your social anxiety.

It's also worth mentioning that what a lot of people with SA call a bad childhood experience is what the rest of the world calls perfectly normal. Most kids are bullied, but they don't have your reaction to it. The fact that you call your childhood bad is a result of SA, not the cause.

Andrew

As far as I can remember, I was a pretty anxious person before I developed SA, but my SA developed as a result of an event where I then questioned why people didn't like me and froze as I was about to talk to anyone as I was so scared of saying the wrong thing. If I had the right support I may have been able to deal with the events and it would not have developed into SA.

So I think it is a combination of genetic and environmental factors, but can't really remember accurately how my SA developed as it was such a long time ago.

IceLad

I was always pretty shy when I was a kid, and I remember that shyness turning into social phobia early in my teens.

Remus

Staff member
always had it, remember about 30 years ago and teeny ickle me scared to death of school, hiding from house guests etc