Social anxiety because I'm an introvert?

sahxox

Think I may be onto something here :)
Always felt different to most people... those who just pull up this enthusiasm in everyday conversation about absolutely nothing. Eager to join in, but timid thoughtful words are often over-ridden by loud expressive and mostly insignificant ones.
Man does it take effort sometimes to be bothered talking... lol mainly if tired or meeting an acquantance randomly
Then the anxiety develops... thinking I can't even handle conversation with people I don't know very well, scared because I can't connect and I'll only embarass myself.
Now I've taken a step back and realised I really have no desire to connect in that way... which by chance is how most people get to know eachother.
Even with people closest with me (eg extended family I've known forever) alot talk so much shit and I just sit there trying not to shoot them down, much less roll my eyes. Nothing against extroverts but geez alot of the time the conversation is downright sad... mostly gossip and stupid tales about miniscule first world problems whose trivial nature I'd be too ashamed to even think of sharing.
It's caused low-self-esteem, which in turn conjures social anxiety and even crippling depression at the worst times.

Hmm it's all making sense now. Wondering if anyone else has a similar experience?
p.s. very tired hoping it makes sense

Silatuyok

It helped me a great deal when I finally embraced my own introversion and realized that I'm much happier without many friends or social obligations, and that it's okay to be the quiet thoughtful one who isn't loud and boisterous like the others. I think a lot of "social anxiety" is simply the anxiety over not being able to fit in with the extroverts, and feeling weird and abnormal for not having the natural inclination to seek out the company of others.

That being said, I think that introversion and true social anxiety are two entirely different things that oftentimes people confuse with each other. Being an introvert doesn't make a person terrified of social situations, it just means that those situations/interactions take a lot of energy from the introvert, and thus may be avoided. I don't think that introversion can necessarily cause social anxiety, any more than social anxiety can cause introversion.

But I definitely know that not "owning" your introversion can cause a ton of stress, so congrats to you for making a huge step in the right direction! I think you'll find that you're a lot happier when you don't feel obligated to be like all the extroverts in the world.

bsammy

i think it depends on how introverted you are..im on the extreme side of introversion so 'small talk' and 'seeking out company' are things i never do..this presents a problem when im around people who like to do these things..you feel like an alien being and one could easily develop anxiety/detachment/depression issues from this..from my estimation most people like to do social things, seek out people for mindless conversation and it confuses me..

personally i have found it difficult to own my introversion as its so extreme and i honestly dont know anyone personally that is like me..

Scandic123

I don't think there's any direct connection between SA and introversion, but introversion can definitely be one of the causes if you worry about fitting in with the extroverts and being like them. However, many introverts are not shy and extroverts can be just as shy. Overall, I think the cause of SA and shyness is what has happened in the past and not whether or not you are introvert or extrovert.

Bronson99

I'm of the opinion that it's unlikely you're an introvert if you're not shy. Because why would socializing and social obligations drain your energy if you didn't have trouble with them in the first place?

Extroverts can be shy but in only in specific circumstances, and not as a general rule.

R3K

when I'm writing my fictional short stories (mostly for myself to read later because I'm too scared to show anybody), I won't even touch the keyboard or pick up my comp book unless I'm totally in the zone to bust out some sweet prose.

I take conversation with other human beings just the same way. if there's a conversation at work and I'm standing there nearby but I just ain't feelin it, then I won't even try to join in. but if my mood, my energy levels and the star alignments are all in proper order, then i'll engage the conversation.

part of being an introvert I guess... you can't waste too much breath/energy dummifying your skills and style with buttloads of jaunty elementary school-level interaction with extroverts.

bsammy

^^problem is, how does an introvert then create and maintain friendships if they dont enjoy 'chit chat'?thats been my experience, that most friendships are maintained through hanging out and just talking and that tends to bore introverts so again, how does an introvert get around this?in my experience, most extroverts or people in general will get the impression that you dont like them since you seem to not want to talk to them or be around them much of the time..

bsammy

oh and there is a link between social anxiety and introversion, and depression..most social anxiety sufferers(70-80%) are shockingly introverted..

Scandic123

oh and there is a link between social anxiety and introversion, and depression..most social anxiety sufferers(70-80%) are shockingly introverted..

I know that's probably not what you meant, but you make introversion seem like a bad thing, which it isn't.

bsammy

in several ways i do consider introversion to be negative and its absolutely a big minus if you are introverted AND have social anxiety plus depression issues.

It helped me a great deal when I finally embraced my own introversion and realized that I'm much happier without many friends or social obligations, and that it's okay to be the quiet thoughtful one who isn't loud and boisterous like the others. I think a lot of "social anxiety" is simply the anxiety over not being able to fit in with the extroverts, and feeling weird and abnormal for not having the natural inclination to seek out the company of others.

That being said, I think that introversion and true social anxiety are two entirely different things that oftentimes people confuse with each other. Being an introvert doesn't make a person terrified of social situations, it just means that those situations/interactions take a lot of energy from the introvert, and thus may be avoided. I don't think that introversion can necessarily cause social anxiety, any more than social anxiety can cause introversion.

But I definitely know that not "owning" your introversion can cause a ton of stress, so congrats to you for making a huge step in the right direction! I think you'll find that you're a lot happier when you don't feel obligated to be like all the extroverts in the world.

Yes, exactly.

Personally, I'm an extrovert or an ambivert, with social anxiety, which makes it even more miserable in my opinion because you WANT so badly to be around others and you find all that social energy a huge boost, but your anxiety holds you back. I'd rather be an introvert with it, at least I could feel somewhat content. People who don't know me probably see me as introverted because I'm more reserved when I'm fearful (naturally), but anyone who knows me well could tell you I talk far too much, can be pretty loud sometimes, and you wouldn't even know I had SA unless I was in a situation that made me uncomfortable.

The whole disorder is just suck a mindf***

Scandic123

in several ways i do consider introversion to be negative and its absolutely a big minus if you are introverted AND have social anxiety plus depression issues.

But I don't see how it's negative if you have neither of those issues. And SA and depression is not worse for introverts than extroverts.