Social Anxiety and Asperger's Syndrome do not mix well :/

Asperger's Syndrome - Gives people difficulty in social interaction
Social Anxiety - Anxiety about social situations and interaction with others

I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 10, but before that I never really had social anxiety, I just didn't want to talk to people and preferred to be alone, as I didn't understand others.

Now as I grew to understand my social difficulties more, I became more conscious that what I may have been doing when talking to people may have sounded strange or weird. As a result, I slowly became afraid of talking to people as I worried I may accidentally appear weird or clumsy (especially since I stutter and shake a lot when I'm nervous), and ironically, it's those fears of acting weird that make me act weird unintentionally. These days, I almost cannot talk to people, and when I do, it's short, and I always end up stuttering or taking quietly.

What I'm wondering is if Social Anxiety and Asperger's Syndrome are related disorders. While I'm aware they do have their differences, I'm pretty sure my social anxiety was caused by my Asperger's.

HappySquidward

When comes to acting weird, I've had the same happen to me. Some times the thought of messing up is the only thing it takes for it to really happen. I try to focus on whats going on, and ignore any mistakes I made. As for whether SA and Asperger are related, Idon't know. But, I think SA can come from just about anything.

I wander where patrick is?:)

laure15

I have never been diagnosed because I don't visit doctors often, but I think I probably have Asperger's syndrome, which causes my social awkwardness. I didn't understand how other people can be so happy when having conversations. To me, conversations are just conversations, nothing more nothing less. When I see girls yelling "Yay!" and hugging each other, I wonder if they are faking it. I also notice that when I talk, my voice tend to be monotone and almost devoid of emotions. I tend not to show emotions unless I'm really angry or want to cry. I make people uncomfortable in social situations. When I show my true self in public, people probably see me as an immature kid; I display emotions improperly and act like a 12 years old. So, now I have social anxiety because I'm afraid of what other people will think of me when I'm in public.

lyricalliaisons

On the pamphlet my psychiatrist gave me about Asperger's Syndrome, listed under "Related Disorders", there was "Social Anxiety Disorder". So I think the two are related, even though a lot with AS do not have SA.

hardy

Please try meditation...it helped me to a certain extent till now with various symptoms of Anxiety disorder.I was unable to speak to people too for a short period when i wasn't meditating, not so much anymore. Google "Vipassana" if interested.

recluse

I often think i have aspergers. A lot of the time i don't feel anxious with people but i feel unable to relate and i feel like an alien. I have very little interest in small talk which makes me think.