so i was at barnes & noble...

agoraphobickatie

ugh! haha.. sorry if this ends up being longer than i'm hoping....

okay, so i was at the barnes & noble book store yesterday, i went with my mom and aunt to pick up a few new books :) aww... anyway, we get to the checkout line and there's this guy (very handsome :))at the register and he looks back at me and i catch him looking.. so then he looks back a few seconds later and i give him my flirty smile (haha!) and he smiles.. and this happens like five times! then, after he's checked out and all, he walks all the way down to the door and before he turns to walk out, he looks back again and grins... and leaves!

arg!! haha... that coulda been the love of my life! lol! i know i know, i'm so silly! but seriously guys, if something like that happens.. and you notice the girl is just as smiley and flirty as you are, say something! if even just "i'm sorry, something about you just caught my eye ::eek::".. because if that guy had said something to me, i would have eventually gotten him to ask for my number or SOMETHING! geeze! lmao... i'm sorry, i just feel like at some point i gotta find the love of my life somewhere, and how bad can a guy be that's getting books at the book store?! lol.. i'ma start man hunting at barnes & noble! lmao...

okay okay, sorry i seem like such a cougar! ..but really! it's a tad frustrating..

and before y'all are like "well why didn't you just say something, bitch?!" HAHA.. i'm sorry, i'm just not that kinda girl, i'm a traditional southern belle :) the man of our dreams will be one to initiate first conversation with us or find his way to us... blah blah blah, i know! lol

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
if something like that happens.. and you notice the girl is just as smiley and flirty as you are, say something! if even just "i'm sorry, something about you just caught my eye ::eek::".. because if that guy had said something to me, i would have eventually gotten him to ask for my number or SOMETHING!
This, or somewhat before, is usually the point where my brain freezes up and I couldn't so much as remember my own name to save my life. ::(:

I don't know because I'd never be all smiley and flirty in the first place. I never smile in real life at all, let alone contemplate saying anything.

Btw, I think you should have said something to him. It shouldn't always be the job of the men to start flirting.

garry29

I don't think that's the sort of thing people do in real life. Ask people out in bookstores I mean or total strangers for that matter.

Eam

I'm thinking that guy would be so annoyed about missing his chance with you if he read this thread!

I dunno what the solution is, but if women must insist on never approaching I would ask them to do their best to make it as obvious as possible that they're interested. I just can't pick up signals unless they're whacked over my head.

bigrob

I was so thick headed that a girl could by ME a drink and I wouldn't catch on. Either that or I'd have to get so much liquid courage that I was a stumbling bumbling and mumbling fool.

Good thing my wife is the persistent type. :cool:

Damn... I prolly would have done the same as the guy :D. No, but seriously, another example of how shyness can beat even the most out going guy down into an introverted pre-adolescent. I'm sure another just as good guy (with maybe some more courage) will come up to u in a book stores soon, agoraphobickatie.

dooby-duck

I'm thinking that guy would be so annoyed about missing his chance with you if he read this thread!

I dunno what the solution is, but if women must insist on never approaching I would ask them to do their best to make it as obvious as possible that they're interested. I just can't pick up signals unless they're whacked over my head.

Yeah for me it has to be extremely obvious. I can't take hints at all, I basically need an invitation. I usually figure it out in the end, usually takes about five years though.

Eam

Damn... I prolly would have done the same as the guy :D. No, but seriously, another example of how shyness can beat even the most out going guy down into an introverted pre-adolescent. I'm sure another just as good guy (with maybe some more courage) will come up to u in a book stores soon, agoraphobickatie.

Yeah, me too. It makes me a bit sad that the likelihood of me doing the same and missing out on a chance like this is so high.

In regard to agoraphobickatie though - I'd also feel she was utterly out of my league and couldn't actually be flirting back.

Yeah for me it has to be extremely obvious. I can't take hints at all, I basically need an invitation. I usually figure it out in the end, usually takes about five years though.

Haha, I don't know if you were joking but the scary thing is that time frame has actually been the case for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, me too. It makes me a bit sad that the likelihood of me doing the same and missing out on a chance like this is so high.

In regard to agoraphobickatie though - I'd also feel she was utterly out of my league and couldn't actually be flirting back.

Hey, you never know with people man. Just by being yourself and being available you'd be surprised how some people who u think are really hot react.

Newtype

I bet you're gonna go back to that book store every day just in case he's there. :D

I really don't understand why he didn't talk to you. People are quick to blame it on shyness. I'm shy but if a girl smiled at me like that I would talk to her.

"Hey baby, take my hand, we're going to Wonderland.... right after we pay those books."

Kidding, I wouldn't say something lame like that :p
Maybe he was married?

agoraphobickatie

I bet you're gonna go back to that book store every day just in case he's there. :D

I really don't understand why he didn't talk to you. People are quick to blame it on shyness. I'm shy but if a girl smiled at me like that I would talk to her.

"Hey baby, take my hand, we're going to Wonderland.... right after we pay those books."

Kidding, I wouldn't say something lame like that :p
Maybe he was married?

HAHA! that would be hilarious, though! lol... nahh, idk what i expected from the guy, i guess i'm just way into the silly romantic crap and i've convinced myself the love of my life is gonna sweep me off my feet, LMAO! maybe not so much convinced.. but i'm dreamin' about it! haha :)

i understand what everyone's saying though.. i sounded way too pushy and forward when i typed the thread, guess i just wanted to rant! i just feel like it's that thing in the movie where you keep thinking about the person you saw at the book store, haha! ...man, my life has no excitement! i'm iching for it, huh? hehe :D

coyote

...if something like that happens.. and you notice the girl is just as smiley and flirty as you are, say something!...

This is when I tell myself, "Man, I sure would like to get to know that girl, but I'm sure I'm just imagining things, and if I go up and say something, she'll blow me off, or worse - I'll make a fool of myself somehow."

Newtype

HAHA! that would be hilarious, though! lol... nahh, idk what i expected from the guy, i guess i'm just way into the silly romantic crap and i've convinced myself the love of my life is gonna sweep me off my feet, LMAO! maybe not so much convinced.. but i'm dreamin' about it! haha :)

i understand what everyone's saying though.. i sounded way too pushy and forward when i typed the thread, guess i just wanted to rant! i just feel like it's that thing in the movie where you keep thinking about the person you saw at the book store, haha! ...man, my life has no excitement! i'm iching for it, huh? hehe :D

Don't think that! Every girl deserves to have the big romance. You didn't sound pushy at all. I wish every girl was like you. Men have the right to be smiled at too! LOL If he didn't talk to you, that's his loss =)

Why don't you go back to the same store a few times? You might see him again? I think people have to establish some sort of familiarity before it becomes "normal" to strike up a conversation.

That's what I *would* do. But I hardly have the guts to go anywhere by myself and just hang out. I feel odd and lonely. Ugh...