So I become friends with my therapist

xnn

So I've been going to this new therapist since november. She's around same age as me, and she has a brother I was friend with in school.
I've been talking to her about my social phobia, how alone I feel, that I have no frieds and depession. I talked alot about feeling rejected. I tried to add some people from work on Facebook, but got rejected. I asked her if I sendt her a friend request, what she would do. She replied that she didnt know.
Yesterday I almost start crying. I was so depressed after getting ignored by people at work, and felt so alone, and she seemed very worried about me.
Later at the evening, I actually sendt her a friend request on Facebook, since I felt so alone. I didnt get any respond then, and went to sleep.
When I wake up this morning I still feeled depressed. Then I thought about what I had done, and it felt so wrong. So I went to facebook, to delete the friend request. But then I was suprised that she had accepted. I guess she did that only because she thinks I'm suicidal and can't handle another rejection.
I know I can delete her from my friend list, but it felt so nice that she accepted. And I just can't do it. Still, it's a little weired to be friend with her at facebook. I know it was wrong of me to add her in the first place, but she's the only one I have now.
Now her brother can see that we are friends, and he might ask her how she knows me. I wonder what she's gonna do then. She can't tell him I'm a patient :question:

Sacrament

Don't overthink it, really, but also keep in mind that if you develop feelings for her, she won't be able to be your therapist anymore, and you might ruin the whole thing. If he asks her, she'll probably just tell him that she remembers you from when you were in school together and that you added her and she had no reason to decline. If you really are that conflicted about having added her, talk to her about it.

surewhynot

You need to be honest with yourself. She's your therapist, not your friend, and most likely will never be your friend. You go to a therapist to seek professional help, not to meet someone. Therapists are after all professionals trained in ethical practices. She would lose her job if she tried to befriend her patients.

You're only hurting yourself by yearning for something that you know won't happen. I'd strongly advise removing her from your friends list. Remind yourself of the reason why you go to the therapist and work towards that goal in a professional manner.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I asked her if I sendt her a friend request, what she would do. She replied that she didnt know.

Is she a beginner therapist, because I'm kinda surprised she said she didn't know what she'd do. I would have thought that patients friending their therapist on facebook is a pretty common issue nowadays and that each therapist has some kind of politic about it and would avoid to induce useless confusion in their patient by being vague about it.

Odo

Banned
I've never realized that being facebook friends with someone has any meaning whatsoever. I guess it means they can see your photos.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I've never realized that being facebook friends with someone has any meaning whatsoever.

It doesn't, really. I mean, it depends. If you add someone because you already know them for a while, then yes, it counts as friends. But pressing the "friend" button doesn't instantly make the person your friend... and that is sadly something many people don't seem to understand.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I've never realized that being facebook friends with someone has any meaning whatsoever. I guess it means they can see your photos.

I would think the issue is less about the meaning and more about the access to personal info

R3K

a lot of it also has to do with how seriously you take facebook. I add almost anybody who requests without even thinking about who they are. and I post random, dumb stuff all day and even insensitive political rants and memes. I imagine those who I've offended have unfollowed me or just ignore my posts... idk and idc:perfect:...

it's probably not a big deal that you added her, and she probably won't follow or inspect ur profile too keenly. just don't let it get to your head that gaining her fb friendship is some kind of huge accomplishment, or major step toward anything. ask yourself this: do you really need to be her facebook friend?

xnn

So I deleted her. I didnt feel comfortable knowing that she could see everything I post on Facebook. Actually she sendt me a pm on Facebook last evening asking if I was at some film festival. I think it was a weired thing to do? Like we could met there or somehting? I don't really know why she did that. But I was home, since I don't like to go to festivals where there's alot of people.

bsammy

^^hmm that seems strange, are you attracted to her in any way by any chance?yes, i would completely forget the idea of being friends with her..she is your therapist and i would think she should know how to handle these things better..

with facebook, u see people with 800 friends, now we all know there is no one in the world that has 800 friends..people just accept others just to boost their friend count...im surprised u are getting rejected from others on facebook, usually people are pretty lenient when it comes to adding friends..

xnn

No, not at all. I mean she's a nice person and she's good looking, but I'm not attracted to her. But she knows I'm very alone and feel very rejected, and I guess she is worry that I'll end my life.

Yeah I know, so when people don't even wont to be friends at fb, I'm just some worthless crap. Can't get friends in real life, and not even on fb. Everyone from work seems to be ignoring me. I tried to be more active on fb, but doesnt get much response. Usual it's my aunt who likes things I post and pictures.