Slow processing brain

KingHenry

So after analyzing myself for years of trying to figure out why I'm so screwed up & why I talking to people never worked, I've realized that the problem is that I can't think of what to say fast enough to keep a conversation going or to defend myself, leading to awkward silences & feeling like an idiot.

Not to sound obnoxious, but I really don't just want to hear about other people that have this problem. I need actual help. Hearing people say "yeah I feel like that too sometimes" doesn't help anybody at all.

Now that I said that, does anybody know of a way to fix this or to improve my brain processing speed so I can think quicker? Or at least a way around this problem?

Thelema

The problem is that being nervous short circuits your brain's working memory-the part of your brain you use to think on your feet. So the problem isn't your brain per se, it's that you're so nervous you can't use it.

And this is an internet social anxiety forum, not a department of neurology. If you want a doctor's opinion, go to one.

KingHenry

The problem is that being nervous short circuits your brain's working memory-the part of your brain you use to think on your feet. So the problem isn't your brain per se, it's that you're so nervous you can't use it.

And this is an internet social anxiety forum, not a department of neurology. If you want a doctor's opinion, go to one.

No, it's not nervousness. I'll admit when I first meet people I can be alittle nervous, but after that I'm not nervous at all. Yet my brain still performs slowly. Trust me, I would never ask your opinion on something that an actual doctor should answer.

Outlander

Over the time I realized that press myself on having a "good conversation" only blocked me. I think that the less you worry about looking good or say something interesting, the better you flow. The problem is we press ourselves too much on that aspect.

Somedays my mind its completely empty and don't have any idea about what to say. But as the conversation progresses, it gets better. As our brain works slower, we need a "warm-up" period, during which the chat isn't too good. There are people with whom we flow better; other than make us feel a bit intimidated and we don't know what to talk to them. Choose those with whom you feel comfortable.

If things don't work in the first attempts, it's not big deal. We need to develop skills that others take for granted, and if in the process we make mistakes, well, it doesn't matter.

I'm lousy conversationalist but I've been improved slowly. I think one of the keys is stop press yourself, and practice.

Thelema

No, it's not nervousness. I'll admit when I first meet people I can be alittle nervous, but after that I'm not nervous at all. Yet my brain still performs slowly. Trust me, I would never ask your opinion on something that an actual doctor should answer.

So you're saying you're nervous because you can't think of what to say, but you know it's not nervousness because you aren't nervous?

Do you think slowly? Did it take you 45 minutes to respond to my post? If not, then it isn't your brain.

You can actually measure your brain processing speed by googling a reaction time test. Reaction time is the way scientists measure processing speed.

Last edited:

gustavofring

I think the only way to improve is by talking a lot. Train the neuropathways.

If I've not talked to anyone for a few days naturally I feel kinda slow and awkward in conversations.

Maybe read out loud at home to improve too. Get comfortable with your voice.

KingHenry

Thanks for all the advice. You guys gave me some good info to look into, even you Thelema. It's the thought that counts.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Now that I said that, does anybody know of a way to fix this or to improve my brain processing speed so I can think quicker? Or at least a way around this problem?

I know I'm annoying, but the only solution I found to fix that problem for myself was to entirely change my llife habits and mostly the way I eat. We underestimate the way food affects our body. Cancel gluten, dairies and sugar, exercice and go outside more than 30 mins everyday and I swear your life will change. Too bad no one is motivated enough to try that.

mikebird

Banned
This is Magic! ::p:

Please keep contributing

I was told this in my last ward in 2011 by psychologists during therapy
Now I heard this yesterday in Audiology. I think I'm highlighting the right major weaknesses of myself, and getting referred to Audiology: processing speech produced by strangers.

I think the other way around
I feel my brain is on the red section of rpm, coming up with too many words, thoughts and emotions for others to recognise, because it's all for me. I don't have a grasp of others' perspective, attitude, standpoint, etc, etc. I assume everyone's me? I don't.

Maybe I should start every interview by asking all about their personal life & situation?

What brand of car, TV, clothes, dog food, cat food, baby buggy do they buy?

Last edited:

21NZ

get an upgrade? i'm super quick and smart by myself or talking with people i know really well, but when I'm out and about.. talking to randoms etc... or the center of attention i can't for the life of me concentrate on talking or typing on a keyboard, or for any practical, my skills just go down. i think its because im trying to second guess everyone thoughts and actions at the same time and get "lag" as you would call it.

so it might not be a matter of "improving your brain processing" are you fast or can you think clearly when your alone? if not then you can do heaps of things to increase your "quickness" like Sudoku, maths times table etc...

laure15

get an upgrade? i'm super quick and smart by myself or talking with people i know really well, but when I'm out and about.. talking to randoms etc... or the center of attention i can't for the life of me concentrate on talking or typing on a keyboard, or for any practical, my skills just go down.

Same here. This makes other people think I'm stupid, slow, and maybe retarded.

KingHenry

Honestly, Im not really that quick in any situation. Thats why I keep trying to post in here hoping somebody has actually conquered this problem and would be willing to share.

Instead all I keep getting is people insulting me or telling me I cant fix this in one day [even though I never said I could] or just babbling about crap that doesnt even relate to the current topic. I will say that occasionally I do see very little useful advice.

Last edited:

laure15

I think it takes practice to make your brain work faster. I do things slowly many times because I don't want to make mistakes. I also speak slowly because I don't want to blurt out something that will hurt other people's feelings. I think before I speak (or post on spw).

JackOfSpades

Honestly, Im not really that quick in any situation. Thats why I keep trying to post in here hoping somebody has actually conquered this problem and would be willing to share.

Instead all I keep getting is people insulting me or telling me I cant fix this in one day [even though I never said I could] or just babbling about crap that doesnt even relate to the current topic. I will say that occasionally I do see very little useful advice.

I think becoming at ease and unconcerned about it is how you conquer it. The problem is finding what enables you to do that. I dont believe it's anything but your level of comfort.

Recently, I've found a few strategies to help me be more comfortable, and they don't always work for me or all the time, but when they do I dont think about everything I'm saying. I just say. And I just move. Sometimes my own reactions have surprised me after I've had them, as opposed to being inhibited and not even happening. And that satisfies me greatly. The point I'm trying to make is that I think you're asking the wrong question.

LifeInternal88

The only thing I can say is try various approaches, see what works. Maybe that’s not great advice. :idontknow:

- Try preparing a few things before hand (I know conversation is supposed to be natural, but...).

- Try getting to “know yourself” better. Have an opinion. It’s easier to talk if you are passionate or interested in the subject.

-Try focus on the other person; what they’re wearing, their mannerisms rather than yourself and your own quietness. Asking Qs. I mean be interested in the person you’re talking to. Just remove yourself from yourself; focus on the environment if you have to.

- Get active.Talking about what you’re doing/writing/learning.

-Smile?

-Dress nice? :)Look inviting.

But yes, I get what you’re saying. I think my brain is just slow. I sometimes can’t even remember what I did when someone asks “hey, what have you been up to lately?”. It would flow much better if I just mention a few things than just say “not much”. But I can’t remember anything. Or it seems dull.

You’ve probably heard this all before. Anyway...

JackOfSpades

The only thing I can say is try various approaches, see what works. Maybe that’s not great advice. :idontknow:

- Try preparing a few things before hand (I know conversation is supposed to be natural, but...).

- Try getting to “know yourself” better. Have an opinion. It’s easier to talk if you are passionate or interested in the subject.

-Try focus on the other person; what they’re wearing, their mannerisms rather than yourself and your own quietness. Asking Qs. I mean be interested in the person you’re talking to. Just remove yourself from yourself; focus on the environment if you have to.

- Get active.Talking about what you’re doing/writing/learning.

-Smile?

-Dress nice? :)Look inviting.

But yes, I get what you’re saying. I think my brain is just slow. I sometimes can’t even remember what I did when someone asks “hey, what have you been up to lately?”. It would flow much better if I just mention a few things than just say “not much”. But I can’t remember anything. Or it seems dull.

You’ve probably heard this all before. Anyway...

Those are very good points. I would still say that calling it a slow brain might be confusing the issue. I think conversation is skill based. Meaning you learn how to do it well.