Sick and Tired...

bsammy

of being sick and tired folks.im noticing as i get older the more sick and tired i feel for the most part.with the daily grind and most of all dealing with avoidant pd.about the only time i feel somewhat alive and awake is after a 2 hour run or right out of a hot shower but the moments last minutes.then back to the same old sluggish and low motivated state ive always lived in.i have went to the doctor and had tests ran, everything is fine, exercise and diet is fine so what the hell?

im sure depression is there but its due to the avoidant pd more than anything else.is it possible to be avoidant and NOT be depressed?you guys struggle with just overal tiredness?what to do about it/

MikeyC

All I can say is stick to a light exercise ritual and some good food and hopefully you'll feel better.

It might be the avoidant personality disorder, too. Maybe you can get some medication?

Sora

Not sure what to say but definitely know what you mean, past 3 weeks have been hell for me, getting more and more depressed and don't know why. Feeling a bit better right now tho, usually do at stupid o clock in the morning though!

Most days just feel like a constantly struggle to make it though and I get more depressed as the days go on, it's weird but I am not giving in! (hope you don't either).

bsammy

^i wouldnt even call it depression really but more of a blank state.i live inside my head to such a degree that i believe it exhausts me on a daily basis.my mind is my biggest ally and worst enemy.it just freaks me out how most people live such busy lives and here i am living a simple life but still just tired as dirt.

simple things require effort and motivation that in my case is rapidly decreasing.

Hoppy

Did you go for a sleep test?

I always felt like that and it turned out I have sleep apnea. I did a home based test with a small machine.

Joan6466

im sure depression is there but its due to the avoidant pd more than anything else.is it possible to be avoidant and NOT be depressed?you guys struggle with just overal tiredness?what to do about it/[/QUOTE]

When you've eliminated the physical - and examine the avoidance- it's interesting that many people who are socially anxious still have a high need for more social contact. They thrive and come to life in being around people. But social anxiety is a catch-22. It takes so much effort to be around people and is so stressful in the beginning that one is a hermit by default. I'd try to take some dimensions of what you already do and make it social. Even little social interactions help- the business interactions with the grocery clerk, the nodding and acknowledging someone when you're out for a run. Honor any attempt to make eye contact, to smile, to say hi. Praise yourself, is what I mean. It starts to lubricate the social processes.

Ms Cloud

im sure depression is there but its due to the avoidant pd more than anything else.is it possible to be avoidant and NOT be depressed?
Yes it is. I'm avoidant and isolated, but not depressed. The only thing that ever depresses me is contact with other people, so as long as I'm alone I feel fine. Well, sort of neutral... which is better than the horrible stressed-out feeling I get from dealing with people.

Boredom can be a problem though, since life is inherently boring if you don't have people around to distract you. It takes some effort to keep oneself busy, productive and/or entertained, but it can be done.

Daz

Did you go for a sleep test?

I always felt like that and it turned out I have sleep apnea. I did a home based test with a small machine.

I think I have this.

Where did you get your machine and did it cost alot?

I don't think I'd manage to get to sleep if I was sent away to be monitored while I sleep

Hoppy

The machine I was given for the home based test consisted of a little pipe with two nostril extensions running underneath my nose to monitor my breathing and a finger clamp that monitor the oxygen content of my blood.

I was supposed to sleep with it for two nights, but fumbled with the settings for the first so didn't have any data.

The results were very bad, my blood oxygen at one stage dropping to 40%, the woman said I should do a real sleep test in a sleeplab. That doesn't sound so bad, you just have to sleep in a ordinary room in an ordinary bed wired up to a machine that monitors breathing and brain waves. My budget doesn't stretch that far.

I paid for the rent of the small sensor about 100usd, the entire complete sleep test, normally two nights away from home, one night for testing and one for setting up the machine was about 600usd. (this in 2011)

The CPAP machine is also a lot of money, I borrowed mine from a cousin that bought one but didn't use it, and is not getting it back.( I haven't told him yet.)

No doctors were involved or harmed during this process. You could contact any supplier of CPAP (Continous positive airways pressure) machines and they should be able to help you.

The machine made a lot of difference for me. I still have problems being tired, and I tend to remove the mask during sleeping but I manage the days much better.

This is about as much as I could help you from here in South Africa.

Daz

The machine I was given for the home based test consisted of a little pipe with two nostril extensions running underneath my nose to monitor my breathing and a finger clamp that monitor the oxygen content of my blood.

I was supposed to sleep with it for two nights, but fumbled with the settings for the first so didn't have any data.

The results were very bad, my blood oxygen at one stage dropping to 40%, the woman said I should do a real sleep test in a sleeplab. That doesn't sound so bad, you just have to sleep in a ordinary room in an ordinary bed wired up to a machine that monitors breathing and brain waves. My budget doesn't stretch that far.

I paid for the rent of the small sensor about 100usd, the entire complete sleep test, normally two nights away from home, one night for testing and one for setting up the machine was about 600usd. (this in 2011)

The CPAP machine is also a lot of money, I borrowed mine from a cousin that bought one but didn't use it, and is not getting it back.( I haven't told him yet.)

No doctors were involved or harmed during this process. You could contact any supplier of CPAP (Continous positive airways pressure) machines and they should be able to help you.

The machine made a lot of difference for me. I still have problems being tired, and I tend to remove the mask during sleeping but I manage the days much better.

This is about as much as I could help you from here in South Africa.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I will keep this in mind and will research into this tomorrow when I 'wake up'.

However, if it costs as much as you say for one of those machines, I might just have a word with my GP as Im sure I could get these tests free of charge.

bsammy

ms cloud-im the same way if it werent for work i doubt i would ever willingly go seek out people to be around.i just rarely if ever find the experience to be rewarding at all, in fact it usually always has the opposite effect, i feel exhausted and drained and like i cant 'keep up'.it reminds me of how different i am.and yes when i isolate for long periods i feel more neutral than happy but at the same time i feel like im wasting my life.no win situation.

ill look into a sleep test.

JustWannaLove

^i wouldnt even call it depression really but more of a blank state.i live inside my head to such a degree that i believe it exhausts me on a daily basis.my mind is my biggest ally and worst enemy.it just freaks me out how most people live such busy lives and here i am living a simple life but still just tired as dirt.

simple things require effort and motivation that in my case is rapidly decreasing.

this perfectly sums up how i feel.
just getting out of bed, brushing my teeth, taking a shower, eating breakfast, was a struggle for me. it seemed like too much effort. i have finally managed to get into a routine now (out of fear for my personal health).
i have trouble studying sometimes, and i feel lazy and unmotivated.
in real life, i like to write and i like to draw, but sometimes i dont even feel like doing them. i feel like my progress is so slow compared to 'normal' people.
just getting up in the morning and brushing my teeth and taking a shower then making breakfast was a big achievement for me. it took me a long time and it was hardwork. but i'm finally here. i have also developed techniques to pretend that everything is a dream and i spend my time daydreaming and imagining a fantasy ideal world so that i don't get as anxious or nervous.
it helps me to kinda offset/forget the reality of life temporarily.