Shyness=Homosexuality?

Rise Against

Ive had people jokingly ask me if i was gay because i have never had a girl friend. People don't view me as gay though. I dont see how shyness = homosexuality.

SalemEdgerton1

Some people figure that because you're shy, you must be in the closet and insecure about your sexuality which is obviously ridiculous but that's how some people perceive you. It's easier to make a quick assumption of people to explain something that is confusing or puzzling to them. I honestly don't think they equal but to some people that's what they perceive when a guy seems more comfortable around men than women.

UltraShy

Gay guys hang out with other guys.

Shy guys hang out with nobody.

Only morons (who make up a stunningly large percentage of the general population) manage to confuse the two. Not hanging out with girls doesn't suggest a guy is gay unless they happen to hang out with guys. One with SA is likely too timid to hang out with anybody.

If you read the book by Gilmartin, you will see that he mentioned this problem. Western civilization seems to shun men who are single. I find it funny that people think a guy is gay because he never had a girlfriend and has very few male friends. The men who are in the closet are the ones who have lots of friends and girlfriends.

My aunt thinks something is wrong with me because I never had a girlfriend. I know she probably has the assumption that I'm gay, but I don't care.I know for sure that I'm heterosexual.

The root reason why we are shy is because of our heterosexuality.We put females on a pedestal. In return, we look at them as being valuable and hard to attain.

Last edited:

Argamemnon

Funny thread title. If I were homosexual, I wouldn't be able to find a 'boyfriend'. People don't understand that some people are so withdrawn or socially anxious, that establishing (romantic) relationships becomes impossible.

Last edited:

SalemEdgerton1

It's funny and I always get a laugh out of it, which probably makes the person who said feel like a moron. I don't attract gay guys either so I've never really understood their logic, but oh well. It's kinda like the singed eyebrow comment I get from time to time with people I meet. It's nice though because it acts as a filter for people who are good candidates for friendship and who aren't. None of my friends have ever asked me about anything like that oddly enough.

Emmmmy

At school, a 'friend' used to insinuate I was a lesbian because she'd 'never known me to be completely into a bloke'. [she was very insecure/indenial about her brother being gay at the time - which is maybe connected] But that's just shyness - I'd find it really hard to go on about a boy I really liked. In fact, to the contrary I'd get slightly infatuated with a boy and would die if anyone found out.

I always put the shyness = homo thing down to - people inventing things about shy people. There's no evdience to the contrary (i.e. you maybe don't go round womanising and chatting up) so you MUST be gay.
It seems you can get just about any trait to 'stick' to a shy quiet person unfortunately.:mad: I suppose being quiet leaves people guessing as to what you're about.

Last edited:

Ashiene

this reminds me of a really effeminate guy in my secondary school. he looked effeminate, talked effeminately, etc, and spend almost all his time with girls in school. wherever he went, he had an entourage of girl-friends following him. but i dont think the girls were romantically/sexually attracted to him. they were more likely to see him as a very good friend because he seemed to understand them really well.

Morgan01

I think most girls just have their fair share of insecurities aswell, they usually want to feel like guys are interested in them.

It's probably not so much that you fit into the stereotypical gay guy...but that you don't fit into what men think should be the stereotypical straight guy. My boyfriend said people used to think he was gay(I am his first girlfriend).. he is the farthest from gay.. but for some reason if you aren't hanging all over girls every chance you get guys like to accuse you of it.

Skatergirl

Banned
As a girl.. I'm feeling the same.. Cuz some girls asked me if i was a lesbian cuz i'm always acting awkward.. so they thought i had a crush on them.. NO WAY!! -_-
But i have feelings for girls.. and boys.. i'm always scared that people might be noticing it :p cuz i'm acting soo shy and nervous when people are around.. :p