Shyness=Homosexuality?

SalemEdgerton1

Isn't this what they call love-shyness?
Yeah that pretty much what I think. That's kinda the major chunk of my social anxiety is love-shyness. Guess some people think love-shyness is someone questioning their sexuality.

There is, actually. The "dork" is known for his ability to seduce unsuspecting female World Of Warcraft enthusiasts by selling them on the perks of a virtual relationship. ;)

Sweet! Guess I'll have to restart my account and finish leveling my Paladin lol.

My family is constantly asking me if I'm gay because I've never had a boyfriend. It makes me sort of angry because I really don't think that homosexuality should be used as something negative. I tell them it doesn't matter, and never give them a definite answer because they shouldn't be bothered by it. I hate when people in my classes, especially boys, use it negatively. We had to do powerpoint presentations in one of my classes and one guy, after showing a few clips that had a few famous male celebrities, felt the need to say, 'I'm not gay or anything'. Ugh. Okay, sorry, back to the topic. Who cares? I mean, maybe if girls think you're gay, but honestly as a woman, I'm attracted to more...erm, guys who are on the fence. I think the guys at your office are just being rude, close-minded jerks who are uncomfortable about their own sexuality and therefore feel the need to try to insult you. I wouldn't be worried about it, anyways. Women aren't going to shun you if you seem gay, quite the opposite for many women.

You're right. I like to think that I'm comfortable with my sexuality. I'm not afraid to compliment a guy on his looks or whatnot. I just hate people not understanding who I truly am. I think a lot of straight guys feel really uncomfortable with questioning and understanding their sexuality so much that they throw around the word gay and use "gay" to damage another guy's masculinity and strengthen theirs. I try not to worry about it and usually it doesn't, but I have a bad habit to think WAY too much, so little things like this get blown up when they shouldn't ya know?

ljwwriter

People always have annoying labels to put on you. Personally, I get annoyed when people mistake me for straight. You just have to ignore them and know who you are. They'll probably never fully understand you anyway. They probably don't even fully understand themselves. Very few people in the world ever seem to.

SalemEdgerton1

People always have annoying labels to put on you. Personally, I get annoyed when people mistake me for straight. You just have to ignore them and know who you are. They'll probably never fully understand you anyway. They probably don't even fully understand themselves. Very few people in the world ever seem to.

I think we all put labels on people until we actually get to know them because it makes things easier and we can judge a situation before risking ourselves from offense or harm. The best things learned are the ones that take time.

Drummr

I think a lot of my family thinks I'm gay. I think its mainly from not talking about girls and not having a girlfriend. Thinking about it, I fit a lot of the "gay" stereotypes that people blindly believe (skinny jeans, "slim-fit" shirts, being skinny(wtf?), etc.). People just need to realize that not everyone can just walk up to a girl and talk to her.
I was even hanging out with a two friends and they were going to invite some girls, after saying i didn't really want them to come (I don't like big groups), one friend said to the other "oh, he doesn't like girls". I mean wtf? seriously?

j_brown2

Banned
Nothin to worry about... I been told if Iam gay by girls for different reasons... coz I didn't show interest coz of my SA, so they don't feel hurt, by girls who are not that good looking coz they knew they had no chance with me anyway, by guys coz I were only around them and never with girls coz of my shyness

thor01

♥ sweet kiss ♥;156580 said:
Maybe it's not Shyness at all, perhaps it's you being Mysterious. If so then girls should be falling all over you ::p: :D

I am shy but would think of myself as mysterious compared to normal people, but i dont get any attentian from girls, or at least havn't done yet.

Last edited:

Drummr

There seems to be a fine line between "mysterious" and "creepy". I have yet to figure out where that line is...

♥ sweet kiss ♥

There seems to be a fine line between "mysterious" and "creepy". I have yet to figure out where that line is...

To me the "mysterious" type is kind of quiet but is very smart and mature. He does talk every so often, does his own thing, has a certain aura about him.
The "creepy" type is one who doesn't have a lot in common with people, too quiet, have tendencies to do strange things, that sometimes can push people away. ( EX: There's this guy at work who talks to himself. No kidding. He wears the same clothes everyday and never talks to anyone.) He seems pretty nice but no one knows a whole lot about him cuz he NEVER talks.

SalemEdgerton1, ur welcome lol! dnt let ur shyness hinder u. You just have to show them one of ur best qualities and you'll surely find a gf :)

gsmax5

I don't know about you guys, but I tend to be shy around girls more than anything, usually to the point of nausea and lightheadedness. At work and at school, I've had a number of people tell me they thought I was gay or got the "gay vibe" from me, but I don't really get how that could be since I don't really act like anything stereotypically gay. Am I missing something because I always thought the stereotype of homosexuality in men was the total opposite of shyness. Or maybe they thought I was filling the stereotypical role of a girl with being shy and modest, so they thought I was gay? I don't honestly know what to make of it and it always bothers me because if girls really think that then my chances are even further screwed up.

Chicks dig gay guys.

SalemEdgerton1

Chicks dig gay guys.

As friends probably, but obviously not as boyfriends. That's the problem really.

♥ sweet kiss ♥;156857 said:
SalemEdgerton1, ur welcome lol! dnt let ur shyness hinder u. You just have to show them one of ur best qualities and you'll surely find a gf :)

Well that seems to work for friends but never anything else it seems. I wish I was as optimistic as you.

Last edited:

TheNewZero

As friends probably, but obviously not as boyfriends. That's the problem really.

There's nothing sexier than an attractive gay man. Seriously though, if there was a guy who I thought was cute, who I got to know as a friend thinking that he was gay, and then found out that he wasn't I would be so happy. Have them get to know you and then casually mention girls or something.

SalemEdgerton1

There's nothing sexier than an attractive gay man. Seriously though, if there was a guy who I thought was cute, who I got to know as a friend thinking that he was gay, and then found out that he wasn't I would be so happy. Have them get to know you and then casually mention girls or something.

I would but the only girls that seem to get interested in getting to know me better are either taken or lesbians lol. Guess I'm destined to be an adulterer or a paradox.

mndigi

Ehhhh screw them. It's your life. You are you. Believe me, one day will come when people will really respect individual freedom.

SalemEdgerton1

Ehhhh screw them. It's your life. You are you. Believe me, one day will come when people will really respect individual freedom.

I wish that were true, but it's highly doubtful. We thrive on proving ourselves to others and showing how better we are. It's a major point in any form of competition. As long as there are people achieving, there must always be people who aren't and are persecuted for it, whether directly or indirectly.

Argamemnon

If I was gay they would see me with a guy, or I would just admit it. Silly people and their small little world. Everyone thinks or acts differently is seen as strange or creepy.

Argamemnon

I was even hanging out with a two friends and they were going to invite some girls, after saying i didn't really want them to come (I don't like big groups), one friend said to the other "oh, he doesn't like girls". I mean wtf? seriously?
They don't know how it feels to be uncomfortable around a group of people, they don't know what anxiety is. Lucky bastards.

Tab

I've had the same problem all throughout high school. Never had a gf and I'm going on 21. I left my job at the end of last summer because I felt like people were starting to think I was gay. There was a gay guy that worked there though and sometimes other people would make jokes behind his back, but for the most part everyone seemed to love him.

Conexion

That is odd, I generally don't think people would think you're gay- I think the real question they have is "Why have I never seen you with a girlfriend?" but aren't really expressing it correctly. Gay or Straight, shyness happens to both sexualities and isn't an indicator on either part. I know shy gays and 'fabulous' gays that are both friends of mine, and I see no correlation between the two.

As rude as the question is, I'd try not to take it too offensively as often times people just accidentally say things the wrong way. If you know it was intentionally trying to be hurtful though, then I'd be pretty pissed. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry :)