Shy about my face

TheTemp

This is going to sound really weird. But I have a phobia of my face. All my life I was extroverted and considered "beautiful" until drug use lead to psychosis which shook me to my core and made me socially anxious. Now I'm left with a phobia and delusions related to my face. I feel like my face sends out weird vibes, no matter how much people tell me that a face can't send out vibes, I still believe it's true and it makes me self conscious all the time. I worry about what vibes my face sends out. This sounds so stupid but if someone could help get to the bottom of this phobia, it is crippling. I can't maintain conversations because I want the attention to be off my face as soon as possible. My life would be so much better without this stupid phobia. My personality is fine, I'm not shy around people if I'm not looking directly at them. But the second face to face contact comes around, I get extremely self conscious about my face. What do I do? Help! :eek:

If anyone wants to see pictures of me, I can send them to you. I'm relatively attractive. Pictures will show you how absurd this whole thing is. I need help.

Im sorta the opposite. I feel incredibly ugly. I hate showing my face at all. If I could I would do a iron mask sorta thing or better yet get some expensive plastic surgery. Some people think Im handsome others think im ugly. I dont know if that's natural or normal. I just feel freakin hideous to behold :/

I try to avoid taking as many facial pictures as i can. I never took a school photo past the 6th grade, no graduation photo, nothin. I really only have my face on a I.D. card.

dragonoth

Why are you paranoid about what kind of vibes your face gives off?
I think you're just overly self-conscious about this and it's the self-consciousness which comes out, not any suspecting face vibes. Eye contact and facing others is an essential part of communicating otherwise the other person may feel like you're being rude to them or that you're not really interested in talking. Just make a conscious effort to make more eye contact whilst you talk and see for yourself how the other person reacts. It's highly unlikely that they will think you strange just because of your face. Any delusions you have can be cleared if you face them.

An interesting phobia, though it is not listed. Perhaps more to do with obsessional thinking and linking negative thoughts to how your face appears to others. Perfectionism may be present with the feeling an inability to appear perfect to others as you see it.

CBT may be able to help. I would find ways to redirect my thoughts about my face if I were in your shoes. What is it about your face that you think is not right? Must be something deep in the sub-conscious perhaps that triggers.

TheTemp

Thanks for the replies! I found the reply about perfectionism interesting because I think it may be true. Whenever I don't get the validation I want from someone, or when I see one sign of disinterest or disapproval face to face speaking, it adds on to my phobia and makes me feel ashamed of showing my face all together.

I think there may be some body dysphormic disorder in there somewhere as well. The whole thing is irrational but I feel such strong sensations in my face when I'm talking to someone, I assume people can read it and for some reason find me unattractive and judge me.

I'm in therapy but we haven't really addressed this issue because I feel so stupid whenever I bring it up. I feel comfortable around some people but most of the time when the spotlight is on me, I want the conversation to end as soon as possible so that the attention is off my face. That being said, I am on Risperdal and it has helped tremendously with eye contact, I always give people eye contact. I just don't feel as comfortable as I'd like showing my face because I'm afraid of these vibes. I'd be very interested in hearing from Sial_Axetder and dragonoth about this.

Sacrament

Well, if you do realize that it's silly to act that way, that's a good starting point towards getting rid of the problem. Practice self talk. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that there's nothing wrong with your face. Look at yourself from the perspective of another, and become aware that there's nothing wrong with you.

Thanks for the replies! I found the reply about perfectionism interesting because I think it may be true. Whenever I don't get the validation I want from someone, or when I see one sign of disinterest or disapproval face to face speaking, it adds on to my phobia and makes me feel ashamed of showing my face all together.

I think there may be some body dysphormic disorder in there somewhere as well. The whole thing is irrational but I feel such strong sensations in my face when I'm talking to someone, I assume people can read it and for some reason find me unattractive and judge me.

I'm in therapy but we haven't really addressed this issue because I feel so stupid whenever I bring it up. I feel comfortable around some people but most of the time when the spotlight is on me, I want the conversation to end as soon as possible so that the attention is off my face. That being said, I am on Risperdal and it has helped tremendously with eye contact, I always give people eye contact. I just don't feel as comfortable as I'd like showing my face because I'm afraid of these vibes. I'd be very interested in hearing from Sial_Axetder and dragonoth about this.

You would like to know more about the vibes you put out?
Expressions and body language are first and foremost. Words and tone of voice are next matched to your expressions and body language. Your uncomfortability around others will be noticed. This in turn will make them wonder, hold back. Others may think odd of you or they will feel the discomfort and push away from you. A real drag I know it. Makes you feel all the more discomfort. You need to work on your thoughts.

Example: I know I'm hideous. I can't and won't go to beaches. I know I will be made fun of for my condition. Is this true? Oh hell yes to me it is. I will need help to understand if this is realistic thinking or irrational thinking.