Sexual Abuse

Csea88

Ok, so first off I'm in therapy for agoraphobia and I haven't had much success for the past year but I feel like it's because I'm not totally honest about all my problems. So I was just putting this question out here, if I were to tell my therapist about some sexual abuse that occurred when I was younger would they have to report it? I'm 24 now but I don't want them to report the person that did it because that would just complicate my life so I was wondering if anyone on here knows or has had any experience with this. I know that they're mandated reporters for kids but would they report the person who did this to me a long time ago? The situation is complicated and I just don't feel like bringing it up if it's going to complicate my current situation in life. So any information would be helpful...

WeirdyMcGee

I think that being an adult-- it would be your decision, not theirs.
My therapist never asked for a name or if I wanted to report any of the people who abused me-- just talked about it and how I think it affected me as I grew up.

nicole1

If you know it would make you better... It's totally up to you. But I understand how you feel about it being more complicated but you should know you can let all of that go and get better.