Self-conscious while walking?

phil91

Does anyone get this? Sometimes when I walk past someone and we exchange eye contact, or someone I know is watching me walk out the room, I become so aware of how I walk. Because I start focusing on how I walk so much, I start wondering all sorts of things: if I walk weird, what my posture is like, what the friggin hell i'm supposed to with my arms. I also end up focusing really hard at not looking at them as they watch me. Also, in the eye contact situation, I start thinking "oh crap, did my walk just change when she looked? did she notice?"

It really annoys me. Why can't I just do what other people do (move one leg forward, then the other, and think nothing else of it)?

johnny 85

Does anyone get this? Sometimes when I walk past someone and we exchange eye contact, or someone I know is watching me walk out the room, I become so aware of how I walk. Because I start focusing on how I walk so much, I start wondering all sorts of things: if I walk weird, what my posture is like, what the friggin hell i'm supposed to with my arms. I also end up focusing really hard at not looking at them as they watch me. Also, in the eye contact situation, I start thinking "oh crap, did my walk just change when she looked? did she notice?"

It really annoys me. Why can't I just do what other people do (move one leg forward, then the other, and think nothing else of it)?

lmao, its horrible is nt it. im not as bad as i was a couple of yrs ago but it still comes at me from time to time. i think i actually did start to walk funny when ever i thought i was walking funny. i also never make eye contact when im passing someone, its a lot easier dat way!

ayama

I feel extremely uncomfortable crossing the street - I think all the people in cars waiting for a green light are watching and judging me. I am afraid to see reflection of myself in shopping windows or mirrors etc, because I always see how bad I look, how horrible is my posture, how fat I am.... I would rather starve to death than eat in public. When I take a bus other public transportation, I have a very uncomfortable feeling all the time that people around are judging everything about me. I would LOVE to be invisible!!!

shore_of_glass

holy

exactly every bit of that text.

Just another SA related paranoia <.< oh well...

I always felt like this in University, when during lectures if I had to walk to the front of the class to hand something in or speak to the professor, I felt like the whole lecture hall was watching me. I would have to psych myself up for a while before I would even get up.

Also, I would always show up for class at least 20 minutes early and find my seat before anyone else showed up, just to avoid walking to my seat while everyone was already sitting down and watching me walk in. If I was even just a couple of minutes late, I wouldn't even bother going in and I would just skip the whole lecture.

phil91

I feel extremely uncomfortable crossing the street - I think all the people in cars waiting for a green light are watching and judging me.
Ahh, completely forgot about that. Whenever I see the lights are on red and I'm getting closer, I start walking really slowly and hope they turn green. That way I can wait for all the cars to pass, then hopefully run across while there's not much traffic. I swear I'm probably going to get hit by a car one day.

phil91

I always felt like this in University, when during lectures if I had to walk to the front of the class to hand something in or speak to the professor, I felt like the whole lecture hall was watching me.

That happened to me today! I had an exam, but I turned up 10 minutes late and there were only a few tables left, the ones RIGHT AT THE FRONT. I mean the very front row. And I was at the back of the room. So I had to walk past 100 people in complete silence to take my seat. And my feet squeaked every step I took because my shoes were wet (it was raining). ::(:

Absolutely. Especially while walking down the street, with cars passing by. I usually just stick my hands in my pockets.

Last edited:

scissorhands

That happens to me sometimes. When I was going to University I couldn't walk into a class if their were people already in it, if the seats were facing towards the door, cause I'd get extremely conscious about it and overthink walking to the point I'd look really odd about it, or just not be able to do it. So for 3 years I'd always be the first into the classroom. If I arrived late, I'd just wait until a break in the lecture and try to go in while there's alot of traffic going on and people were all doing their thing. It was a real pain in the ass.

Avarak

I get this all the time. I espically hate walking down a sidewalk and there is a group of 5+ people just standing around talking, taking up the entire sidewalk. It's like I know they see me coming and yet they continue to just stand there talking. It makes me really self consience.

anomicdeer

Haha, I am the SAME way.

overcome.

In the past (and to this day I suppose), I've gotten this whenever I've walked somewhere that's quite busy. The less busy it is, normally the more comfortable I'll feel.

CPA23

Yes, I used to be really self-conscious while walking. It is not as bad as it used to be. I also like to be at meetings/classes early (especially when there are a lot of people), so I can get to my seat without having to walk in front of a lot of people. I also get self-conscious while doing things in front of others. I have many examples, but one example is when we did communion one Sunday at church. When it was my turn to approach the table and have communion, my hands shook when I was drinking the wine because I was in front of the whole church.

Last edited:

overcome.

This incident made me self-conscious for years to come!

Wow, it's a shame that something so inconsiderate would seemingly haunt you for years to come. I understand though, somebody once said something to me that still hangs on to me to this day, this was said 6-7 months ago even. I know how you feel, annoying, huh?