Seeking advice & help w/ job/career choice

Mr.Moon

This is probably a little rude to spit out being my first post, sorry.
But uh I'm in my mid 20's and still living with my folks which is very embarrassing. The last decent job I held down only lasted a month. I've had like 4-5 interviews since this year started and all of them turned me down. I have very little work history..next to none really and I'm embarrassed and ashamed about that, I've just never done well around working with to many people, I can't socialize with co-workers well either so a job like a waiter would get me fired.

I thought about being a vet tech because I love animals, but my adhd I was diagnosed with long ago is horrid. I find it very difficult to learn complex things like high level math and biology/science stuff.

I really don't know what to look for anymore, I have barely any money my grades in HS were crap, and a week body to, I got fired from walmart because I couldn't take working outside when I tried being a cart pusher 4 years ago.

So yeah,some advice would be great at this point, I've been getting pretty depressed with this and even my gf I was with for 2 1/2 years dumped me last month.
I'm in a big rut right now. I don't even require super jobs that make like 20bux an hour, just enough to get me by and let me keep the internet if I were to get an apt or something.

Thank you

lunaticbinge

I'm in the same situation man and I know it sucks. Mid twenties, living with mom, no job. Be glad you didn't stick with that cart pushing job because i did it for a year and it suuuucked! As for getting a job maybe start with something simple like working behind a register at a gas station or something. There is some interaction with people but it's mostly just "hello" and "thank you".

DarkPhoenix

Try signing up with a recruitment agency, you have to call them regularly once you've signed up with them so they know you're keen though. The assignments they put you on are usually short term but if you prove yourself as a good worker the business they sent you to may employ you full time, volunteer work is also worth a shot. Good luck.

mads

First of all. You have to tell yourself, that there is nothing wrong with living at home but of course you probably shouldnt tell them. It is not their business, but if you keep thinking it as a bad thing, then you will also have it very hard to get a new job, as you will probably think a lot about your situation which makes you unconfortable.

And especially that your girlfriend left you recently, does not help you at all, if you think about that when you search jobs. Also remember that there are still a lot of people in the US and arround the world without jobs, so you are not the only one.

Try to search a few jobs where you use a lot of energy on the application instead of searching a lot and by that get a lot of downfalls.

Hope it helped a little

Mr.Moon

I don't know anything about recruitment agencys.. I put a resume on staffmark and monster along time ago but.. I don't really have any decent skills so I don't think anyone notices it. We, arkansas, recently got the lottery vote passed or w/e its called.. so gas stations are always getting so many people in, even going there myself makes me uneasy, even in school I was twitchy, hung out with only like 2 people at lunch and I was invisible in the classroom. ><
/offtopic I was nervous posting here at first, but I'm glad to see y'all are so nice. /offtopic

Kinetik

I would look into attending a technical school or community college, just so that you can get trained in something practical in a reasonably short amount of time. It's probably not what you want to hear, but it would be pretty manageable, and in the long run you would be a lot better off. You can't really support yourself independently on a walmart-type job if your parents kick you out, and it would be good to have some investment in yourself for the future. The economy is terrible anyway, so it's near impossible to get a job right now.

Last edited:

Mr.Moon

That would be good, I need something that's decent pay without super duper math/science skills though. I barely even passed algebra in HS.. which was the last math class I was able to take in HS. Was to shy and embarrassed to ask for help back then from teach or a student

awkwardamanda

Well I can't offer much in the way of advice, as I'm in a similar position. Still at home. Went to school. Too unmotivated and afraid to go get a "real job." All I can say is you're not alone.::eek::

206Raider

I got a real job, 13 bucks and hour, 10 hour days. I can't stand it but I haven't worked in so long I cannot afford to quit. It's against everything I like doing, I hate early mornings so I have to get up at 5am, I hate crazy bosses who critisize everything you do, I hate being on a constant time limit where if you mess up, it slows everyone down a whole bunch and this is all what my job entails, and I'm friends with 0 of them.

Yeah, sorry, I too don't have any advice because I'm in the same spot, only older (29). But I just wanted to post because you're definitely not the only one. It certainly is not easy. I even tried taking a few college classes, but that was years ago. I couldn't handle it so I dropped out.
Some may not agree, but I'm in the process of trying to get supplemental security income for help. If your problem is severe enough you may want to look into that.

Mr.Moon

Yeah.. I'm really unmotivated as well, that would be the ADHD at work me thinks. I heard about ADHD coaching online, but it costs a bit of money I can't really afford.
Not to mention the fact that I'm really scared I'd go into a huge debt or something if I did go to college and not do well, then I'd be even worse off. They say if you can find something your really interested in you can get through it but.. I haven't even found that, except maybe animals, but I suck bad at the classes needed for veterinarians. I don't even have a car so I have to rely on my parents for transportation .. which is leaving me really limited in the places I can choose from when looking for schools or jobs.
It's a little comforting to know I'm not alone though, that's true, thanks y'all.
Really hope I can find a way outta here, I feel so trapped and don't like to be around my family as much as I used to. Getting scared.

Feathers

Hm, if you like animals, consider volunteering at shelters or such, they sometimes need people full-time too..

Also, here in Slovenia, Europe, if you've been unemployed for a long time, there's incentive for employers to employ you (basically the state pays them to) or you can get self-employed and start your own biz. Maybe dog-walking or such? Not sure what would be interesting where you live..

People say the economy is bad, there are still jobs out there, it helps if you're an expert sort of and have many good ideas for what they could do, eg for their programs and fundraising or such etc. Basically find a niche you're interested in and become an 'expert' - even without full education they may be interested in you...

And look into car-sharing, who goes where to work every day, could you ride with them? There are even sites and Facebook application with info on this.. Sometimes you pay some of the costs/gas money or not even that, depending how you talk about it.. I'm older than you and don't have a car and still go places.. It takes some planning and logistics though.. It's not eco-friendly if there's one person in every car anyway!

Last edited:

Verynervous

Go to college. I have a fairly good paying job and am actually thinking about going back to school.

This coming from someone who dropped out of high school from social anxiety. Nobody knew why I dropped out. I just dropped off the face of the earth.

yumesa

I have no job, but I'm going to college, and have my own place but sharing it with 2 other people and its not fun at all and I would rather just move back home with my parents. And even though I'm going to college and going to graduate in a year, I still don't know how I'm going to get a job when I'm done since I'm terrible at networking and making a good first impression on people and they probably don't want to talk to me again.

But yeah, volunteering is a good way to start and maybe gain experience from there. If your parents can help get you a job through their own job or through friends or neighbors its worth a shot. My brother is trying to learn to trade stocks. I guess for a start you can try and figure out what makes you comfortable and what your interests and strengths are and just go that direction. Like if you're comfortable with being in front of a computer perhaps you should get a job that requires that or start a website.

TimArends

Mr.Moon, you need to get some vocational or aptitude testing. Did you get any in school? I find that everybody is good, or at least halfway decent, at something. If you have attention deficit disorder then attending a technical school might not be a good idea, but there are non-technical fields that you can increase your skill in. You really need to take an aptitude test if you have not taken one already.