Reoccuring Nightmares You Have?

Anubis

Just wondering because it's believed that dreams reveal your unconscious/"automatic" beliefs.

I have several, but a prominent dream that comes to me at least once a month is a "chase" dream. Usually I'm being chased by an evil-being who's effortlessly killed several people in front of my eyes. My adrenaline goes crazy and I start running only to later give up and ask for mercy. Pathetically begging for my life isn't out of the question. I don't even try to hide - even if I have a nice head-start and I'm in a huge city with millions of places to be. I just feel like I'll get discovered anyway so I might as well ask for a lenient punishment.

I suppose I could just be a coward, but lately I've been thinking it's a common motif in my life. Whenever I'm in the midst of heated conversation, I have a weird tendency to just give-up or give out too much information because I feel hopeless and cornered. I also don't enjoy lying because I just feel like I'm bad it (not because I necessarily thinking LYING = always bad). I feel like I'll get caught anyway, so I just subconsciously give myself away in a sense.

I guess my boundaries are just really weak.

What about you guys? Any dreams you get normally?

sleepysparrow

I dream every night. They are always lucid, vivid and feel very real. On days I feel the most depressed I have really strange nightmares that make me wake up terrified, and sometimes it takes me a while to snap out of it. I can usually remember my dreams. I have reoccuring nightmares about a really tall shadowy figure chasing me, i'm always running from it and hiding as I watch it take other people, it doesn't kill them, just sucks them up and they disappear.
The other nightmares involve being abandoned in empty, dark buildings like old schools, hospitals, malls, airports, and there is always a dark unknown force that is trying to catch me. I have nightmares of being pulled under the water by something below me in the ocean. Also, I have dreams about car crashes, ufos, harming myself, being trapped in a spaceship and drifting into nothingness. Yeah, I have lots, and I have no idea what they mean but they definately tie into my state of mind, sometimes I have really great dreams where I don't want to wake up, but if i've had a bad day, they really scare me.

Last edited:

Amon

I have 3 different nightmares I keep seeing constantly, couple of them are that kind of "chase" dreams you mentioned.

Nightmare #1: This one I've seen since I was a small kid, I really don't know why. It's about these huge killer bears who chase me, and no matter where I try to hide they always find me and rip me to pieces. I still see it about once a month or so, like I have for the last 15 years. It's weird really since I'm not scared of bears when I'm awake.

Nightmare #2: There's these extremely venomous snakes everywhere which bite me constantly, I keep ripping them off me but they just keep coming at me. In this nightmare I never die though, but this is definitely the one that I get most anxious from. I can even feel the anxiety while dreaming, and it's even worse when I wake up. This is the nightmare I've seen the most lately, at least once every couple of weeks. I guess watching those shows on animal planet about "killer snakes" etc. is not exactly helping either...

Nightmare #3: Someone's trying to kill me, always with a knife. I run and run, but can't get away from him. Finally he catches me and that's the point where the nightmare ends too. I used to see that dream at least couple times a week and woke up really anxious every time. Then I started my medication and started to feel better, and the nightmare changed too. Nowadays I don't see it that often, maybe once a month or so, but now in the end it's always me who takes the knife from him and chases him off. I like it better that way.

worrywort

nice link! very interesting...

yea I've had a few recurring dreams, nothing mega common though. I've had the being chased dream loads, and it usually ends up with me trying to close a door before they get in, but I can never close the door.

I've also had a few apocolyptic dreams, where there's been fire raining from the sky and these huge black clouds that form in the distance over Israel then turn into a massive explosion that wipes the world out! They're quite fun!

I've also dreamt of my own death quite a lot too. I got shot in the heart the other week, and I fell from some 6th storey scaffholding once too.

But that link said that dreaming of your own death or the apocolypse can both signify transitional phases in your life which is interesting. Also dreaming of death can sometimes mean you're trying desperately to escape the demands of your daily life.....that one sounds more likely!

nice link! very interesting...

yea I've had a few recurring dreams, nothing mega common though. I've had the being chased dream loads, and it usually ends up with me trying to close a door before they get in, but I can never close the door.

I've also had a few apocolyptic dreams, where there's been fire raining from the sky and these huge black clouds that form in the distance over Israel then turn into a massive explosion that wipes the world out! They're quite fun!

I've also dreamt of my own death quite a lot too. I got shot in the heart the other week, and I fell from some 6th storey scaffholding once too.

But that link said that dreaming of your own death or the apocolypse can both signify transitional phases in your life which is interesting. Also dreaming of death can sometimes mean you're trying desperately to escape the demands of your daily life.....that one sounds more likely!

i've had some death dreams to, and i think i cud relate to both of those interpretations. have u ever seen urself die or "felt" urself die?

Anubis

Interesting dreams guys. I can definitely relate to some of them as well.

Also, I liked that link gio. Whenever I'm being chased, it's usually some kind of "Alien" force that's doing it. And according to the site, an alien-associated dream tends to imply "a subconscious fear of changing surroundings and or space/privacy violation". This isn't far from the truth. I even hate it when my family snoops around my room. I feel like they're going to find some deep-held dirty secret about me (even when there's really nothing risky in my room). I just feel that whenever my space is violated, there's something bound to found negatively about me. And there's no way I can fight it - so might as well just give up.

Last edited:

Lorraine Manca

its neat to read about everyone's dreams. As a kid, I used to dream constantly about being chased by normal people I knew who had changed into bizarre creatures. In another dream, I would see miserable faces everywhere on inanimate objects, especially on the ground under my feet in the stones.

thor01

I can relate to some of these too. I usualy have very weird dreams, especially when I'm worried or stressed. A lot of the time they're too weird to remember exactly, and I can just remember the feeling of them, and the odd picture or moment. These dreams kind of give me the feeling that I'm in a dimension or frequency range that doesn't jell with me haha. sometimes its hard to get rid of the feeling afterwards, and I'm stuck with it for half the day.
Sometimes I also have slightly more real feeling kind of nightmares. Ive had many space related ones before, a bit like what sleepysparrow mentioned, where I'm drifting through the vastness of space, not in a pleasant relaxing way, but in a terrifying way. And also sometimes in a spaceship, where I'm looking out of the front into another galaxy or group of stars/planets, which somehow in the dream looks really scary, in a way I cant explain, in the distance and drifting towards them, with the feeling of being trapped there. That doesnt sound as scary just describing it because in the dream there's a serealness and unpleasant feeling I cant really describe added on.
Also out of the more real straightforward feeling nightmares I also have chasing ones. And when I do, my legs usually seize up, and feel like jelly, and I cant run properly.
I have had pleasant dreams before where I wake up wishing it was real, but they are rare now. I haven't had one for a while. I wish I could have more of them. I even wish rather than the horrid feeling vague ones I could have more dreams that aren't necessarily good but are worth remembering, are more weird in an interesting way, and don't have this unpleasant kind of weird feeling. Weird can be great, I just hate these unpleasant feeling weird ones, where its too weird to piece together in my head what the heck it was. I might try trying to programme my dreams more.

Last edited:

worrywort

i've had some death dreams to, and i think i cud relate to both of those interpretations. have u ever seen urself die or "felt" urself die?

I've never seen myself die, like from outside of my body looking back. It's always been subjective. But the last dream I had where someone shot me in the heart, I knew that I was dying and it all went black and I could feel my heart shutting down and my mind was waiting for the afterlife etc.....then I woke up! So it felt like I was dead.

But some people say if you die in your dream then you die in real life, but how could anyone know that? No-one would ever come back to tell the tale if that were true!:confused::rolleyes:

how about you? what are your death dreams like?

sesh

Banned
Perhaps the worse death dream i've had is me being tied to a chair and having someone beat me repeatedly with blunt objects including baseball bats, pipes, wooden sticks and golf clubs.
The thing is that i look out a window see people outside walking past and i shout out for help but they cant even hear me.
Then this person puts a knife to my neck and i wake up when they are about to slice.

my recurrent nightmares were usually about some giant dark figure chasing me, and i would hide in some closet, but the door wouldn't shut or latch all the way. it was terrifying, but i never got caught.

looking back on it now, it was like i was trying to hide from myself, from the distorted view i had of myself. i exaggerated all my bad qualities, and ran from them in terror. i haven't had those dreams in a long time.

dooby-duck

I have two reoccurring dreams. The first one is where my teeth fall out. It starts off with one wobbly tooth that falls out. As I am pushing that tooth back in all of my teeth become loose and falling out. I end up with a hand full of pristine white teeth. This dream is really frightening and realistic.

In the other dream I have, I am back at school wandering the corridor either looking for my classroom or for where I am supposed to be. Everyone else is in their classes but I can't find my timetable. Sometimes the stairs are impossible to climb or the route I have to take is blocked. Again really vivid and distressing.

The site in the link says that tooth dreams reflect anxiety about your appearance and how you are perceived by others. It also says that they relate to the fear of feeling embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in certain situations. They also show powerlessness, difficulties expressing yourself, frustration, feelings of inferiority and a lack of self confidence. All scarily accurate.

School dreams it says show inadequacy and childhood insecurities, and anxieties about your performance and abilities.

NothingElseMatters

Perhaps the worse death dream i've had is me being tied to a chair and having someone beat me repeatedly with blunt objects including baseball bats, pipes, wooden sticks and golf clubs.
The thing is that i look out a window see people outside walking past and i shout out for help but they cant even hear me.
Then this person puts a knife to my neck and i wake up when they are about to slice.

that is a brutal dream!!!

mine is just sth stupid.i ve recently quit smoking and i keep seeing my self in my sleep smoking again.someone is offering and i take it with a big smile and i inhale and then i wake up

shygirly

I have this recurring spider dream that has plagued me for years. I wake up (in my dream) and there is this ginormous spider dangling above my head,it scares me so bad that I jump up and run out of my bedroom,an it takes me so long to realize it's a dream.
Funny thing is I'm not afraid of spiders in real life!