Rednecks

IamThisOne

This is just something that happened tonight, I don't know if it is considered bullying or what.

Tonight, when I was at work, these rednecks pulled up to the store at about the time I was going to close. I knew them because they come in the store all the time, and I have known them for years, though not personally.

When they pulled up to the building I could see one of their girlfriends in the driver seat. She kept turning around and looking at me, then she would just start laughing. She kept doing this. These types of people do this to me all the time. They just laugh. All I was doing was standing there waiting for them to hurry up and come in so I could close the store and go home.

One of them finally came in to get their beer. He comes in all the time and always says the same things to me. He said, "You hard at it?"

I replied, "Whatever you want to call it". They always say things like this because I work at a store and don't have to do any hard work. Them on the other hand were out hunting and fishing when they should have been in school. They all work construction or some back breaking job like that. They probably don't know that I'm in school and think that all I do is work at the store. I mean, I live 30 seconds away from the store, it makes perfect sense to work there.

Then when he was about to leave he says, "don't let them work you too hard". I just faked a laugh.

While he was in the store, his friends were still laughing at me from their truck. I could see the one in the passenger seat leaning over the driver and like pointing at me or something, his girlfriend laughing her head off.

I wonder why everybody that I see at work thinks that they have to come in a mess with me. Why can't they just pay for their stuff and leave? They don't do that when they go to an Exxon or some convenience store like that. It's just because I work in a little country store.

Everyone in my community is like that, these redneck azzholes. I don't want to sound mean or anything, but they just make me so mad. What really gets to me is the fact that my father is just like they are. He even hangs out with them, people that are my age, and even some of the ones that were at the store tonight. It really makes me feel bad because I didn't turn out like that. I know my father would have liked me to because then he wouldn't have to have a "substitute son" to go hunting with and work on trucks with and stuff.

I guess it's my fault though.

I'm sorry.

lunaticbinge

Don't feel bad that you didn't turn out to be a close-minded hick. Ignorant redneck love to ridicule what they don't understand so **** them.

You're not to blame for how they treat you. They treat everybody that way, including each other. They are literally unable to act with any amount of class.

Just keep telling yourself that you're working and going to school and eventually you will be able to find your own way and meet likeminded, intelligent, thoughful people.

agoraphobickatie

=/ people around the south say stuff like that all the time.. at least when i've heard it, it's just in a joking manner, not to poke fun or anything.. but just saying "don't let 'em work ya too hard!" kind of like saying "take it easy!".... i don't know, i wish there was some way they wouldn't hurt your feelings or make you upset =/ you just have to know that you can't take offense to what other people say, eleanor roosevelt said "no one can make you feel inferior without you consent." ..which is a pretty hard motto to live by, but it helps to realize that some people just hold no value to you, those people who you don't even respect, those lowlifes, they don't have any value to you, so neither do their opinions... and we aren't here to please everyone, you have to follow your own feet and do what makes you feel good, accomplished and happy.. making anyone else happy isn't gonna help you out, not even if it's your parent. sometimes it's best to just look out for #1 and be content with that :)

Jake123

Banned
On a semi-related note, I have a white friend who gets really really red in the neck and face areas whenever he does any kinda physical activity, literally making him a "redneck" lol

Sinar_Matahari

Are you absolutely sure that they're laughing at you? Could they be laughing at something completely unrelated? I suppose that you see it firsthand so you probably know better. Some people are just simple and very easily amused. It can get annoying, but it's best to let it roll off your back.
I was looking for a shirt (for work) that would cover the tattoo on my upper arm. I told the woman who works at the store at the mall on base and she started laughing her ass off. I think she may have thought I was upset because I didn't laugh. It was not something I found to be particularly funny, but I wasn't upset. I wish I were that simple and easily amused. I would be having the time of my life.

If I were you, I'd chalk it up to simpleness on their part or a misunderstanding on yours. It's no use giving such things any thought.

Rembrandt Broam

You shouldn't be sorry. These people sound like morons. Carry on with your schooling, and at the first opportunity move on to bigger and better things. Twenty years from now they'll still be pulling up at that same store to buy beer and guffawing like simpletons at nothing in particular. You'll have moved on.

I know it's a cliche, but you can't blame yourself for who you are. And neither should you.

Hey, if they want to point and laugh just because you work at a local store, it makes more of an ass out of them then out of you in my opinion. It might not be a glamorous job, but the fact that you have one to begin with- and keep doing it even though you have to deal with obnoxious people like that, makes you a hero in my eyes.

As for your dad, well, the way you are right now, he shouldn't be complaining. You have a job AND you're going to school. Trust me, there are youngsters out there who do allot worse. He should be proud to have a son like you.

Last edited:
Are you sure they were actually laughing at you? To me, the guy's comment doesn't necessarily sound like it was meant to be mean (of course I wasn't there, so I didn't hear the tone). Could it have just been small talk? "Don't let them work you too hard" is a really common expression, kind of meaning, "have a good day" or "see ya later" And maybe the people in the car could have been laughing about something totally unrelated or even laughing about something their friend did and therefore pointing at him, not you. I wouldn't take it personally.

Feathers

Yeah, I think it could be just a way of speaking too.. People around here (rural/countryside area too) make silly comments sometimes too.. And don't mean anything by it.. You can be glad you don't work in a bar or something! (They made a waitress/new girl cry!) Either just laugh it off or ignore it.. ('Yeah, I had to shelve the soups, imagine the workout/I've had sore muscles for 3 days!' or something similar, if you can pull it off a bit tongue-in-cheek but friendly, and smile. so they know you appreciate and admire their working hard, and know this isn't such a terribly difficult position yourself.. or maybe tell'em you've been studying hard for an exam or something, when you were..)

Know that a lot of people in construction really do work hard, some destroy their health.. Or move on later to other things too, try to study or start a biz - some succeed, some don't.. Just because someone is a construction worker now, doesn't mean anything.. Maybe in a few years he'll try to study at your college and you can give'em helpful advice?
Also, here in my country, some construction companies have sorta gone bankrupt and haven't paid their workers for months.. and they get really poor pay.. soo.. maybe these guys are just venting frustration for similar things, knowing you really may be better off in the long run?

What you say about your dad makes total sense - my dad wishes his daughters were totally different too ('more like the neighbours' kids', sigh) and wished for a son - he can't have a son and no I won't help him with construction work if he's being mean to me/us!! Some people don't respect or even understand intellectual work ('This power drill shouldn't bother you!' /sigh/) Later on, when you get outside recognition for your work, like when you graduate etc - your dad may still be proud...

As for those folks, they may have been laughing about something else and just looked in your direction, or that girl could actually have a crush on you or something? I know a bunch of friends and I were laughing about something once, and a guy who had a crush on me came by, and I sort of had a bit of a crush on him too, but apparently we were both too shy.. and then he thought we were laughing about him, when it was completely unrelated, sigh... I was quite mortified, but one of my friends was just telling a joke, so what can you do? (I think he didn't dare to speak to me after that though, sigh.. lol, old times!) /But if she hangs out with those guys it's probably a no-go.../ There may be other possibilities too, like you may remind her of a younger brother or whatever..

Anyway, maybe any of this helps you to look at it differently.. I come from a rural setting and most people here are good at the core, though they can sometimes be different or sometimes even rude or such (especially my dad, sigh!) Just monitor what you tell your dad if he's anything like mine (my dad will say it all to other people and won't filter stuff) also, do tell when you study or work hard, because they may not see it or think it's all just 'goofing off' yeah..

IamThisOne

Are you sure they were actually laughing at you? To me, the guy's comment doesn't necessarily sound like it was meant to be mean (of course I wasn't there, so I didn't hear the tone). Could it have just been small talk? "Don't let them work you too hard" is a really common expression, kind of meaning, "have a good day" or "see ya later" And maybe the people in the car could have been laughing about something totally unrelated or even laughing about something their friend did and therefore pointing at him, not you. I wouldn't take it personally.

I pretty sure they were laughing at me because their friend went to the back to get beer, so he was out of their line of site. I was right next to them. They pulled up beside the window where I was standing. One of them was leaned over pointing at me and his girlfriend kept turning her head and laughing. They do this all the time.

I also know there is nothing wrong with construction work. People around here just think that if you don't bust your azz everyday, then you aren't working. People even come in a call me "easy money". I don't know if it is being mean or anything, but it bothers me. It just makes me hate my job more and more. I just feel like everyone is watching me all the time and judging me just because of the job I have. I mean, it makes total sense that I have that job because it is right next door to my house, 30 seconds away.

I just hate how everyone has to comment on everything and I never bother them. I never think bad thoughts about them because I'm not an azzhole.

I'm probably being irrational though.

Last edited: