Public Speaking

bennos

Probably not too well but I just wanted to see how others feel about public speaking or just speaking up in a small group.

I had a tenants/owners meeting for the block of units I work in. There's one every so often. I have avoided these (surprise surprise!!) because I know people are very open to voicing their wants/opinions. Just the thought of speaking out makes my get anxious! It just seem so normal to go and talk like the others. Normal - what's that like?!

Phoenixx

Just thinking about public speaking makes me blush and feel nervous. I avoid it at all times possible, even if it is just a small group.

With avoidance one must stop thinking about the twists and turns. Instead go in not thinking at all. Say what must be said, done. The moment one thinks bad things are thought and the task is not done.

I do this everyday. Works well. Got something to be done, do it.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
If you discover the secret, let us know - as soon as there is more than 4-5 people in the room, I can't speak properly, I blush, and sometimes I even get black-outs.

The only way I found to survive to this is to really prepare well, practicing things that I have to say (even learning it by heart so I can do this brain-dead), convincing myself that it is not a big deal and that if I screw up I just have to move in another city, which would be a good change, etc.

Plunket

public speaking improves your confidence and you may talk on any general discussion and can talk over in any question and any problem that cause around you.

okcancel

I'm not too bad at it, as long as I've had time to write down what I'm going to say. But voicing my opinion in class or anywhere is something I never ever do. I want to, but just can't.

bennos

by the sounds of it. most here would be able to do a scripted speech but not a question and answer session but not thinking on your feet in front of a crowd (sml or lrg).

i cannot do either. something i've been wanting to do for years, but guess what?! yes that's right been avoiding it.

I hate the sound of my own voice, i pretty much stop talking when there's a video camera or phone video around.

Last edited:
It turns out that I'm terriffic at it, as long as I'm expected to do it like in a class lecture or presentation. I don't depend on a script, I just read about the subject and with that information I manage to make a general plan of what I have to say. Also I can make a well draw up opinion if the teacher is asking for it, and have no problem to admit that I don't know the answer of a classmate question if is that the case. So at the end my classmates are impressed of how I seem to manage perfectly the sibject that I'm talking about (even if that's not true).

But this is only for an academic level, probalby because there are not many emotions involverd in technical stuff; I don't feel that I manage the audience, I'll do just fine if i feel that I manage the subject at least to a level of improvise chit chat abiut it. I'm crappy at speaking in private with people and totally incompetent for speaking to woman that I find attactive. Which makes me think about the people I know who have an active social life bit are afraid to speak in public, people in general seems to be more understanding to that situation.

Shant

I can at least somewhat handle one-on-one or small-group conversations. Public Speaking, on the other hand, is definitely something attributed to my social phobia, since I didn't always have social phobia, and I used to have no stage fright, no fear of public speaking, nothing. Public Speaking, is something I just hate. Where do you look? I make eye contact with anyone in the audience by accident and then feel like I creeped them out (just by looking at them). More than in any other situation, I really do feel like everyone can hear my social anxiety, my aversion to eye contact, and that everyone is just laughing at me, or the inverse, they're all bored and want to boo me off.

Yesterday was the first day of classes this quarter, and two of my new classes had an oral presentation on the agenda. I still remember thinking, "just kill me now..." and a near-panic attack in the latter class.

Last edited:

bennos

Yesterday was the first day of classes this quarter, and two of my new classes had an oral presentation on the agenda. I still remember thinking, "just kill me now..." and a near-panic attack in the latter class.

How did you go yesterday with the oral presentation?

layeazy

Hey i love public speaking for me its like a performance doesn't seem to phase me im must of been on of the lucky ones...

you can always try the naked thing lol might work...

bloveless

I used to get so nervous over public speaking.I would just look at the paper I wrote and read. I do ok now though.

Phoenixx

@ Beatrice and layeazy: If you don't mind me asking, why do you enjoy public speaking so much?

When it comes to public speaking and such, I just want to hide completely. Run away, something like that. It's probably one of my top fears.

Shant

How did you go yesterday with the oral presentation?

Err... I meant, first day of classes started yesterday, and the agenda/syllabus/schedule for those two classes placed an oral presentation to happen some time during the quarter. :p

I don't imagine I'll do well. Apparently I did well on this oral presentation in English class near the beginning of the year (at least a B, I think), but it was really scary...

If you discover the secret, let us know - as soon as there is more than 4-5 people in the room, I can't speak properly, I blush, and sometimes I even get black-outs.

The only way I found to survive to this is to really prepare well, practicing things that I have to say (even learning it by heart so I can do this brain-dead), convincing myself that it is not a big deal and that if I screw up I just have to move in another city, which would be a good change, etc.

Blackouts! Never experienced that. Is that from hyperventilation? Or just so much going on that nothing makes sense?

I generally do okay-ish with public speaking. Usually I've had a chance to go over what I'm going to say and I've written it down. Plus, I usually just tell myself that no one is listening to me; my audience is off in lala-land. But voicing my opinion in groups is tricky. I know that the others are listening to me. I tend to keep to myself in these situations or just agree with what someone else has said.

GhoulsNightOut

Blackouts! Never experienced that. Is that from hyperventilation? Or just so much going on that nothing makes sense?

I found that intriguing too. :D

Well I really hate oral presentations. It's not just the part where I get nervous but that some people are insensitive and will actually laugh at me for being nervous. This has only happened in college though....

bennos

...some people are insensitive and will actually laugh at me for being nervous. This has only happened in college though....

This may sound like I'm trying to be some wise owl...but. This is the challenge in life. To be strong enough to say 'stuff you' this is what I'm doing, this is my moment and rise above the noises, whether it be rude people laughing or whatever the hurdle is. Take each challenge as a strength building exercise. Much easier said then done :)