Post a recipe!

apollo

I thought it be intersesting to share some recipes with eachother...

This is essentially a slow cooker recipe but if you don't have time, do this.

Lemon-Cinnamon Chicken (really easy)

In large pot cook at med-low 1 full box of chicken or beef broth.

You can add some water and chopped onions if you like.

Add cinnamon sticks depending on how much you like cinnamon and cut a piece of lemon in half and add it to the pot.

_______

Cut up a piece of boneless chicken brest and fry in a skillet med high temp.

Make sure you at least brown both sides.

Add chicken to large pot.

_______

Cut carrots and peel and chop potatoes or sweet potatoes (you can boil the potatoes beforehand this will speed things up considerably)

Add vedge to the large pot (you can add leak as well if you want). Cover and let it all simmer for about 45mins for the flavours to settle in.

_____

voila bon appetit

sorry this had nothing to do with SA

Devrium

Cool thread idea! My favorite food is Inarizushi ^^ Inarizushi is known as brown bag sushi. Sushi rice is packed in seasoned aburaage (fried tofu) pouches. Inarizushi is easy to eat, so it's often put in a bento lunch box.

2qlsl09.jpg

Ingredients:

* *For sushi rice:
* 1 1/2 cup Japanese rice
* 1 2/3 cup water
* 3 Tbsp vinegar
* 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 Tbsp white sesame seeds

* *For cooking aburaage
* 6 abura-age (fried tofu)
* 1 cup dashi soup stock
* 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
* 2 Tbsp mirin
* 2 Tbsp soy sauce

Start cooking rice. Put aburaage into boiling water for a moment to remove the excess oil. Drain and dry with paper towels. Cut the aburaage in halves so that each piece has an open end. Put dashi soup stock, sugar, mirin, and soy sauce in a pan and bring to a boil. Add aburaage in the pan and lower the heat. Put a lid and simmer until the liquid is alomost gone. Stop the heat and let them cool for a while. Prepare sushi rice. Mix sesame seeds in the sushi rice. Wet your hands and make small mounds of sushi rice. Take a piece of aburaage and lightly press to remove the excess liquid. Open the pouch and stuff a mound of sushi rice inside. Fold in the open side to close the pouch.
*Makes 12 pieces

If anyone makes this let me know! It is like omg the best food on earth xD And excuse the cut and paste. Easiest way you know. I got it from About.com actually lol...

Edit: It is usually served cold and kind of sweet and moist ^^

Last edited:

k123dave

Cool thread! I have a recipe for sushi, if I can find it, I will post it. :D

edit: Not in a bag like Devrium's, if you're ok with that Devrium?

Last edited:

apollo

Devrium, where can i get aburaage??? Do I have to go to a specialty grocery store?

It looks good.

Devrium

@Dave lol yea ofc that's fine. And it's not like a bag bag.. it's more like an edible pouch in case that wasn't clear. Or maybe you already knew that ^^ I think they just call it brown bag sushi cuz the tofu pouches look that way.

@apollo yea you have to buy the fried tofu (aburaage) at a specialty store like any oriental or Asian market should carry it. It comes in clear plastic usually and is usually like hard light brown sheets of tofu. If you just ask for fried tofu I am sure they would know what you mean ^^

k123dave

@Dave lol yea ofc that's fine. And it's not like a bag bag.. it's more like an edible pouch in case that wasn't clear. Or maybe you already knew that ^^ I think they just call it brown bag sushi cuz the tofu pouches look that way.

Thank you :) I did know the bag was edible, it's very cool :D well done for your post.

davidburke

not mine so if your microwave blows up don't blame me ::p:

The most dangerous cake recipe
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Last edited:
Khinkali.jpg

Khinkali (Georgian dumplings)

Ingredients:

Filling:
* 1 3/4 lbs ground lamb or ground beef and pork
* salt, to taste
* black pepper, to taste
* 3 large onions, minced
* 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped

Dough
* 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup lukewarm salt water

Directions:
1. Knead together the ground meat, salt, pepper, onion, cilantro and about 7 tbsp lukewarm water.
2. Prepare a smooth dough from the flour and the salted water. Roll it out thinly and cut out 6 inch circles using a plate.
3. Put 1-2 tbsp of filling into the center of each circle. Gather up the edges of the dough to the center over the filling and pinch neatly together.
4. Put the khinkali in a large pan with boiling, lightly salted water and simmer gently, gently agitating them with a wooden spoon now and again.
5. When the khinkali float to the surface, continue to simmer for about 6 more minutes.
6. Remove from the water with a wire skimmer, sprinkle black pepper over each and serve hot with cold beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpSkn6pztNE

Last edited:

mrb

beer beer beer beer more beer hic burp vomit stagger down the road for a kebab , or hmm a burger , or chicken in a bun :) big sigh its all so confusing when you get to the junk food shop :confused:

Devrium

OMG Lamingtons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ws8jd3.jpg

Cake Recipe:

2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk

Chocolate Frosting:
4 cups (1 lb.) (454 grams) confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1/3 cup (30 grams) cocoa powder (I like to use Dutch-processed)
3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk

Coating:
2 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut, finely ground

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven rack to middle position. Butter, or spray with a nonstick cooking spray, the bottom and sides of an 8 inch (20 cm) square cake pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.

With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with flour.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Re-invert. Once the cake has completely cooled cut it into 16 two-inch (5 cm) squares. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or even overnight. The reason for doing this is that it is much easier (less crumbs) to coat a cold cake with frosting.

Chocolate Frosting:
Place the confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, butter and milk in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth and of pouring consistency.

To assemble Lamingtons: Put the 16 squares of cakes on a wire rack that is placed over a baking sheet (to catch the drips). Have ready the coconut on a large plate and the chocolate frosting. Spoon or ladle the chocolate frosting over each square of cake, making sure you cover all sides. (It is best to do a few squares at a time.) With a small offset spatula or knife transfer the chocolate covered cake to the plate of coconut and roll the cake in the coconut, covering all sides. Gently transfer the lamington to a clean wire rack to set. Repeat with the rest of the cake squares. Once the Lamingtons have set, store in an airtight container for several days.

Note: When you ladle the frosting over the cake, some of the frosting will drip onto the baking pan. Pour this frosting back in your bowl and reuse (strain if necessary). If the icing becomes too thick to pour, simply place the frosting back over the saucepan of simmering water and reheat until it is of pouring consistency. (You may have to do this a few times as the frosting has a tendency to thicken over time. Add a little more milk to frosting if necessary to get pouring consistency.)

Makes 16 2-inch (5 cm) squares.

ENJOY! I love to eat these with a nice cold glass of Milo! yum yum yum

beyjq8.jpg

Last edited:

xxaimsxx

I'm not really good at recipes! All i can do is tuna and pasta lol. Thats my fav dish.
Although i did make cakes the other week. Yey!

My mum works as a cook so really i should know more... :rolleyes:

mrb

rocket leaf salad , tomatoes , cucumber , spring onions , red peppers sliced , a little sliced red cabbage , some finely chopped carrot , tuna mixed with sweet corn in low fat mayo , lots of black pepper ..... all washed down with fresh orange juice , not concentrated rubbish , pure orange juice ..... ;) now there is a healthy meal :)