Post a picture of a place where you feel at peace

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I was thinking it could be cool to share pictures of places we go when we are seeking peace of mind, places that make you feel at peace with yourself, where you go to recharge, or for shelter.

Whether it being a spot by the sea, a cabin in the woods, your roof or under your bed.

So I guess I'll start... With the very classic seaside :rolleyes:
This is a place I discovered a couple of years ago, mostly unknown, only accessible by water, so there's no one there. Ever. Only whales, seals and seagulls. I go there and I camp alone, lol.

Anyone else? :)

Attachments

• IMG_3346.jpg
    IMG_3346.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm often escaping into nature, away from people, to quieten my mind and recharge lately. Favourite activity at the moment is to rock hop up a rivulet at the base of the mountain and be surrounded by forest and the sounds of birds and flowing water

tumblr_n30zxnEWEh1qhgwvgo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n2f6y64vt01qhgwvgo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwong

The Pacific Ocean a warm place with no memory. I am most at peace in that hour of light around sunrise and sunset, there are so many headlands, and favourite rocky coves where I go. This in the headland closest to my home, I know every rock, sea squirt and barnacle there now.

My friends are Sooty Oystercatchers and Reef Heron. A reef heron popped up its head to say hello in the 2nd photo.

Last edited:

Kiwong

I was thinking it could be cool to share pictures of places we go when we are seeking peace of mind, places that make you feel at peace with yourself, where you go to recharge, or for shelter.

Whether it being a spot by the sea, a cabin in the woods, your roof or under your bed.

So I guess I'll start... With the very classic seaside :rolleyes:
This is a place I discovered a couple of years ago, mostly unknown, only accessible by water, so there's no one there. Ever. Only whales, seals and seagulls. I go there and I camp alone, lol.

Anyone else? :)

A beautiful photo, is it sunrise or sunset. A wonderful place to be able to go.

Pacific_Loner

A beautiful photo, is it sunrise or sunset. A wonderful place to be able to go.

It's sunset, but I'm usually up at sunrise as well. It's my favorite time of the day :) Do you take these pictures yourself? Because they are really beautiful, what camera do you use?

@Jess did you actually go there?? It's like a magic garden

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I am so jealous of you guys with your own private beaches. All I have is a pond. :sad:

It is a nice place for watching waterfowl though.

Kiwong

^ great reflections, NPL. Wetlands are great places.

Pacific, it is a Canon 5d Mark III, with my trusty tripod.

Jessquietgirl

It's sunset, but I'm usually up at sunrise as well. It's my favorite time of the day :) Do you take these pictures yourself? Because they are really beautiful, what camera do you use?

@Jess did you actually go there?? It's like a magic garden

The picture is of Kyoto, Japan. I never been there but I want to. I find Japan to be more tranquil than the US.

Pacific_Loner

I am so jealous of you guys with your own private beaches. All I have is a pond. :sad:

It is a nice place for watching waterfowl though.

I still have to drive 5 hours to get to my private beach :/ You could probably find a place like this as well, unless there is too much people in the u.s.? I like your pond though, especially in this picture, it looks quiet

Pacific, it is a Canon 5d Mark III, with my trusty tripod.

Thank you for the information. I need to buy a good camera in the next 2 years, so I'll check it out.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
^ great reflections, NPL. Wetlands are great places.
Thank you, but I'm not really happy with the shot. It's just the best one I could find of that pond. The colors are a bit faded out, which always seems to happen when I take landscape shots on a bright, sunny day. I don't suppose you know a way around that short of buying a new camera, do you? Apart from doctoring the pic afterwards.
I still have to drive 5 hours to get to my private beach :/ You could probably find a place like this as well, unless there is too much people in the u.s.?
I guess there are, at least around any beach areas reasonably accessible to me. I've literally spent hours trying to find a nice secluded one where I can have some quiet time. Usually I just end up having to go at night to avoid the people. My ponds do have the merit of being within walking distance.

uk_27

I0000rdnLy5fPBYc

I've traveled quite a bit but I've never got bored of Cornwall. Specifically the view from Nare Head. So peaceful and calm up there on a nice day. :)

Attachments

• Nare_Head.jpg
    Nare_Head.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

planemo

All those pics look really great.

As a kid my place of peace was on top of a cupboard where i sat alone and used to colour in my colouring books. Don't have a pic of that though :p

Now i guess it's my backyard.

uk_27

Also in bed asleep is a pretty peaceful place for me. As long as I'm not in too much of a bad place at the time and having nightmares.

But I aint posting a pic of my pit. lol

Kiwong

Thank you, but I'm not really happy with the shot. It's just the best one I could find of that pond. The colors are a bit faded out, which always seems to happen when I take landscape shots on a bright, sunny day. I don't suppose you know a way around that short of buying a new camera, do you? Apart from doctoring the pic afterwards.

I guess there are, at least around any beach areas reasonably accessible to me. I've literally spent hours trying to find a nice secluded one where I can have some quiet time. Usually I just end up having to go at night to avoid the people. My ponds do have the merit of being within walking distance.

My suggestions.

Put your camera on a tripod, helps with the focus, and shooting in low light. Go back at dawn or dusk when the light is likely to be more softer more colourful, or there might be some a mist around. Maybe wait until some ducks are in the image.

Use a polariser, this helps improve colour saturation, or perhaps a warm up filter. With a tripod you can also take really long exposures, even capture star trails. Experiment with aperture and f stop.

Use lightroom or photoshop elements (which is not too expensive) to better capture what you saw with the naked eye. The jpegs that are captured by a camera are often flat and the colours faded.

That's why all pro photographers, well nearly all photographers shoot in camera raw, and then use software such as Photoshop or lightroom. Usually they have a workflow to enhance the image, not doctor it, to better render the what they saw with the naked eye.

Anyway back to the topic this is about peaceful places.

Last edited:

Kiwong

Lady Carrington Drive in Royal National Park. It is a road that goes deep into the rainforest, with towering turpentine trees. I go there bird watching. I'd listen to Lyrebirds call and imitate from shaded gullies. There was a sweet fresh rainforest smell in the air. And I'd listen to the Hacking River gurgle through little cascades. I'd also go there at night and spotlight Greater and Sugar Glider possums, and see ringtail and eastern pygmy possums.

I also went for my long runs there of a Sunday morning, sometimes with the steam of overnight rain rising into the morning air, over the red earth trail, covered with orange, red and yellow fallen leaves.

LayerCake

Here is where I go, usually it's quite desert...

it's up a hill, just in the middle of my hometown, I love go there running listening music, when i get there I'm exhausted, it's good to free my mind, just for a couple of hours...

Attachments

• CAM00234 -.jpg
    CAM00234 -.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CAM00227 -.jpg
    CAM00227 -.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0

cowboyup

This is a pic of the Wetlands Park where I like to go for quiet/meditation time. Very peaceful

Attachments

• wetlands_park1.jpg
    wetlands_park1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0

Pacific_Loner

I0000rdnLy5fPBYc

I've traveled quite a bit but I've never got bored of Cornwall. Specifically the view from Nare Head. So peaceful and calm up there on a nice day. :)

Cornwall in england I guess? UK is so beautiful, I need to move there o_O Or at least travel there