Point of Life?

neardeath

I have nothing to share but I wanted to say thanks - these were great posts/"reckonings." I'll be reading them again.

Lea

Banned
I'm somewhat of a nihilist, so I don't really think there is a point to life. I don't think there's anything I can do or achieve that will make that big of a difference in the long run. And I mean the really long run.
However, there are things that give my life meaning. I spend most of my life trying to alleviate the suffering of animals. I can't live knowing that animals are suffering and not do something about it. I know that in 10,000 years it probably won't matter much which animals I've helped, and my efforts will be insignificant, but it gives me some peace of mind in the here and now to know that I'm doing everything I can for them.

:thumbup:

Aron

I don't understand why people generally want to find a point of life so much. It's like they are afraid that there isn't.
I personally believe in only one god and that is physics, so I really think that there's no point of life, in the way that people generally mean. We are just a bunch of atoms thrown together, and life just happened to develop on the laws of physics. There's nothing to it.
You can set goals if you want, of course, because, why not? If that makes you happy so be it.

Anomaly

I would suggest the starting point to be distinguishing in a way that's satisfying to you the two points at hand, namely, whether life is worth living and whether life is meaningful. Whether you like eating pizza, look forward to the next basketball game, etc., is independent of an all-encompassing meaning; such small things can keep one looking toward the next day. There's much that can be said about the general topic, but it's pointless to say that much because it's ultimately up to you to figure things out in a way that would satisfy you for a long time, if not your entire life.

R3K

point of life is to waste time and look good doing it. the super race of UFO-flying beings are videotaping us and watching us like The Trueman Show, so we gotta be interesting and entertaining for them.

Zod

Topics such as these always get me in an existentional crisis.

Seriously though, I agree that there is no point in life, it just is. And too much time passes away worrying about it.

laure15

point of life is to waste time and look good doing it. the super race of UFO-flying beings are videotaping us and watching us like The Trueman Show, so we gotta be interesting and entertaining for them.

That's a good point. I always wondered about this. If this is true I'd say my life would bored the heck out of those UFOs than, say, the life of pop stars such as Britney Spears,Lindsay Lohan (drama!), etc.

Boby

I think the question "What's the point of life?" it's an inappropriate question in the first place,it's like asking what's the taste of red color.It's not like we don't know the answer,the red color can't even me tasted,it's not even a physical object.
We do not have a purpose,so asking about it is meaningless.Does a simple rock has a purpose?Most likely not,the problem is we think we are more important than a rock somehow.

Feathers

lol skins

I think for everyone there is a slight difference as to how we see life... and what makes life seem meaningful

not seeing a 'point' in life can also be connected to depression or side-effects of meds etc (personal experience) Finding meaning in life is important - maybe read Viktor Frankl if you can? He found meaning even in the most difficult circumstances...

Caderyn

The point of life is completely subjective.

For me, I'm not sure what it is anymore. I do hope to find meaning again at some point.

R3K

That's a good point. I always wondered about this. If this is true I'd say my life would bored the heck out of those UFOs than, say, the life of pop stars such as Britney Spears,Lindsay Lohan (drama!), etc.

go outside and do something crazy then lol, light some buildings on fire haha