Photos and Mirrors

scatmantom

i used to spend ages in the mirror...but now i realise im so fit but my gosh dont i know it!!!!!

haha only joking...i hav moles and they annoy me...but every1 has things they dont like..this is how im meant to look. I hate the way socielty demands perfection and how cosmetic surgery is such a popular craze at the moment. I seriously think that every person can look good, but if ur miserable and down about ur appearance that is projected, same as a happy person always looks more attractive.

candi_boo_kisses

Thats what my social phobia is really im scared of what other people think about how i look coz i think im not pretty enough n too fat n stuff :( im happier bout myself than i used to be n sometimes i look in the mirror n feel gud about myself but then wen im out i feel ugly :( and i always look dodgy on photos lol xx

Vincent

Banned
Minority Report (content racially contentious)

I wonder if subconsciously, I can rely on looks to offset a lack of confidence with the other sex. I know that women can get away with this alot more....they just need to look attractive and wait at the appropriate spot for the guys to make the moves...I mean, from the photo gallery, there are some really hot girls out there with SA, my guess; go to the pub, and bring a stick to fight them off with :D

continually comparing looks, source of continual low self esteem or fleeting and shallow self esteem (vanity). It's easier to do when you are an ethnic minority (like being white in Asia) where you can equate your difference with superiority. Its not healthy though, and foreigners that rely on this in Asia for self esteem may find it impossible to leave. Its not made easier by continually hearing "oh, you're so handsome" -> "ni hen swai", which is Taiwanese culture; self modesty and generous compliments. I remember the first time I was third party hearing it said to another foreigner by an attractive Taiwanese girl... so deflated.

Why do they like Western looking guys so much?? Long noses, bad hair, hairy limbs, pale pasty skin. 8O I think Beckham has had an influence.

Many Asians persue fairer complexion with skin products, surgery to introduce "nose bridges" to stop glasses slipping and eyelids surgically made. The white factor is the same as feudal Europe, where the upper class would be plotting assinations or orgies inside the castle while the majority commoners toiled in their fields, plotting how they were going to make dinner four four from one potato and one arm MIA somewhere in Wales. White was class, brown peasantry. So it was in China and Japan. Anyone see the white gieshas? Surgery is apparantly absolutely huge in South Korea. Ironically, they all have it done, and look the same anyway. This is kind of subscribing to Western ideas of beauty? Then they try and differentiate their looks with coloured contacts and hair, as there aren't genetic differences in hair or eye colouration.

Anyone else an ethic minority in another country, where they consider the differences to be beauty? What is that like? How does it affect your ego? What are the most attractive ethinicinities? (spelling?) Why?

IceLad

Whether I like my appearence varies from mirror to mirror. I usually like what I see in my bathroom mirror, but I don't like what I see in my local supermarket mirror. I guess its all to do with the amount of nature light and artificial lighting.

As for photos, I'm always the one that insists on taking the photo so I don't have to be in it! On the rare occasions I do allow a photo of myself to be taken, I usually hate what I see.

SocialRetahd

You are ugly in photos because your measurements are more apparent, you have a nose that sticks out to far, etc. 3 things you need to be photogenic are cheekbones, jawline, and flat nose, and a good length of mouth to distance between eyes ratio.

Why they STILL can't make ugly people attractive, I dunno. Facial transplants are here but they look like shit and so far, only transplanted the skin.

recluse

Absolutely! I am the same. Sometimes the camera has caught me at the wrong angle and i look at the pic and i want to cry! I think most people have an angle which they think they look best from, for example if i take a pic of myself i try to take one from directly in front o'r slightly to the left of my face.

One reason people hate seeing their picture is because our faces are asymmetrical, and we're used to seeing in mirrored, not the way other people see it.

Foxglove

I have the same problem - I don't think I look too bad when I look in a mirror, but when I see a picture of myself, or see my reflection in a shop window I think "God, I'm so embarrassed! I didn't realize I was THAT ugly!" And it must be true because when I look at pictures of other people, they look exactly the way they do when I see them in person. Therfore, I must REALLY be THAT ugly :cry: .

same for me

ppl tell me I'm attractive but for some reason most of my photos turn out goofy. I think I am more attractive in the mirror......unless I go shopping thats a different story. It's wierd seeing myself in a full mirror & I find areas that need to be toned.
In the mirror I can control my facial expressions too, when someone is taking a picture I have no idea how I'm looking & become a little self concious.
But with the photo problem I just take a million photos w my digital in different lighting, clothes etc etc, load them on my computer, pick out the best ones, & touch them up w photoadobe shop. Then if I want to I can print out my favorites on photo paper from walmart.

Negaigoto

cLavain said:
black_mamba said:
I think because when we look at ourselves in the mirror we have no background anxieties about other people judging us, BUT as soon as someone else is looking into that same mirror - bam! Suddenly I feel sick and want to run away. The same can be applied to the voice issue too.

You may be right, because if feels bloody awful to see myself in a mirror when I'm in a shop or at the gym, but not so much when I'm home by myself.

And, yeah, I wish someone would invent a camera jamming device that you could hide in your pocket! :twisted: "What, your camera stopped working? How peculiar..." :lol:

That's a great idea :lol: I can't stand having my picture taken and it really upsets my family sometimes, especially because my mother-in-law is obsessed with scrapbooking.

My bathroom mirror is the only place I feel semi-attractive. I've seen one or two photos over the years which looked decent, but on the whole I hate them.

summer

Me too, I hate photo's of myself and if i need to show a pic of me it always takes me loads of attempts before i take one im happy to show.
My voice sounds awfull aswell when i hear it back, i sound really thick and devonshire :lol: Im like "is that what i sound like" 8O

i get the opposite, i look better in photographs. Ive always thought i was ugly due to bullying at school. They honed in on my looks and ripped them and my confidence to shredds.

I see a photo of myself and i look really nice to me. I see my self in the mirror and i see ugly.

I dont know which is the true representation of what i look like.

On saying that i do have bad photo days (see my livejournal blog moonlights insane asylum (moonlightmagik)), but i also get very good ones as well.

Maybe im just a bit photogenic sometimes?

littl3misstrange

Absolutely! I am the same. Sometimes the camera has caught me at the wrong angle and i look at the pic and i want to cry!

me too. actually...i HAVE cried before, while i was looking at a picture of myself.
i don't understand how i can look decent in the mirror, but look like a monster in front of a camera. it's like, all my flaws are magnified in pictures. everything i hate about my physical appearance is made ten times worse. there have been times when i've looked in the mirror (only the mirror i have at home...public mirrors make me look disgusting) & actually felt sort of "pretty" but then i see a picture of myself, & i go back to thinking i'm disgusting all over again. maybe it has something to do with our perception of ourselves?

shiny things are STUPID

Yeah, for some reason I think I look way better in a mirror than in a picture. In a picture I always look disgusting and always kind of have that "pig face" and it just looks really gross. Not that I look good in mirrors or anything, I still look horrible, but in a picture it seems like everything is just magnified to look 30 times worse.I don't know why mirrors always look so different. If I have to take a picture of myself, I have to take like atleast 100 before I'll even get one. Ugh.