Photos and Mirrors

Coldy

I dont know if this is linked to SP but does anyone else look in the mirror on odd occasions and thing "yea im not looking too bad today" then see a photo of yourself and thing "oh my god do i really look THAT bad?!?".

Ive seen photo's of myself and to me they look nothing like i see in the mirror...in the mirror i think sometimes i look good but it always puts me on a downer when i see photos because i think then that im just fugly :?

Which is true? is it my mind imagining im better looking than i really am? or is it my mind saying that the photos are more uglier?

Even if i take a photo on my camera phone or digital camera i dont look anything like i think i do......anyone else get this or is it just me?

SilentOutlaw

That is very wierd, I experience this all the time. I look in the mirror and think im looking pretty good, but when I see a picture of myself I can't believe how stupid I look. I notice in different lighting conditions people can look much different.

Aerandir

also true here. I don't seem to look so terrible in the mirror, but on a photo... Wow. so worst.

Richey

I thought i was great looking until i saw a photo of myslef from side on and realised that i look ugly from side on but i am good looking from the front.

dzerklis

i look ugly in photos too, i had to take my photo few days ago, and i took about 20 different photos but couldnt find one that i liked

D

deleteduser

i look more ugly in photos too but i thought it was just because everything is the other way around in a mirror , so on photos u r just not used to it?
i duno lol

blubs

hanny said:
i look more ugly in photos too but i thought it was just because everything is the other way around in a mirror , so on photos u r just not used to it?
i duno lol

I think its something like that...you get used to seeing yourself in a mirror...then when you see a photo its a reverse image so you look a bit different.
I don't mind photos as much as they're only small...nothing depresses me more than catchin sight of my ugly noggin in a mirror if I'm not expecting it :x

The_9th_passenger

Coldy said:
I dont know if this is linked to SP but does anyone else look in the mirror on odd occasions and thing "yea im not looking too bad today" then see a photo of yourself and thing "oh my god do i really look THAT bad?!?".

Ive seen photo's of myself and to me they look nothing like i see in the mirror...in the mirror i think sometimes i look good but it always puts me on a downer when i see photos because i think then that im just fugly :?

Which is true? is it my mind imagining im better looking than i really am? or is it my mind saying that the photos are more uglier?

Even if i take a photo on my camera phone or digital camera i dont look anything like i think i do......anyone else get this or is it just me?
Yeah man! That's EXACTLY what happens to me too! How peculiar that someone else has got the same wierd look trouble than me.
And another thing: the same happens with my voice 8O when I hear my voice in a recording it sounds so stupid and ridiculous!!! :roll: but when I hear myself talking I don't get such negative perception :?

scatmantom

lol i think every1 has this

Ive asked my mates and they all say the same, its not really SA related. Its just people in general find faults with thier appearance and its down to our corrupt society that forces kids to look at themselves and judge thier own appearance from the age of 10!!!!!!!

black_mamba

I think because when we look at ourselves in the mirror we have no background anxieties about other people judging us, BUT as soon as someone else is looking into that same mirror - bam! Suddenly I feel sick and want to run away. The same can be applied to the voice issue too.

cLavain

black_mamba said:
I think because when we look at ourselves in the mirror we have no background anxieties about other people judging us, BUT as soon as someone else is looking into that same mirror - bam! Suddenly I feel sick and want to run away. The same can be applied to the voice issue too.

You may be right, because if feels bloody awful to see myself in a mirror when I'm in a shop or at the gym, but not so much when I'm home by myself.

And, yeah, I wish someone would invent a camera jamming device that you could hide in your pocket! :twisted: "What, your camera stopped working? How peculiar..." :lol:

LittleMissScareAll

Coldy said:

yep, it's the same for me sometimes.

let the doctor handle this one. well im not a doctor but i can handle this one.

when you look at yourself in the mirror you are seeing yourself backwards and when you see a photo you are seeing yourself rightwards. is that a word? anyways you are actually uglier in a mirror than you are in real life, dont let your mind fool you. have you ever seen someone else in a mirror? dont they look like jackasses? lol there faces are like cock-eyed. thats how you are seeing yourself in your photos because its backwards to what you are normally used to seeing making you believe you are uglier when you are actaually prettier or in my case more handsome, but i dont need more handsome, im a dime piece.

Septor

RedFacedBandit said:
let the doctor handle this one. well im not a doctor but i can handle this one.

when you look at yourself in the mirror you are seeing yourself backwards and when you see a photo you are seeing yourself rightwards. is that a word? anyways you are actually uglier in a mirror than you are in real life, dont let your mind fool you. have you ever seen someone else in a mirror? dont they look like jackasses? lol there faces are like cock-eyed. thats how you are seeing yourself in your photos because its backwards to what you are normally used to seeing making you believe you are uglier when you are actaually prettier or in my case more handsome, but i dont need more handsome, im a dime piece.

But what if you ugly in the mirror and the photos. 8O

to the guy above me..

everyone likes to judge themselves down to the last hair on their face, but in reality people dont look at you and try to find every single flaw like you do. if you stare at a picture of yourself for long enough you will eventually think you are ugly or there is something with the picture, the same with a mirror. now i dont know if you are doing this to yourself but if you are than just relax on yourself and stay away from pictures or mirrors for a couple days, and then when you are feeling better go look in the mirror and i bet you will feel better about yourself, becuase you sorta get the reaction that other people get on you when you do this.

Tanya_S

I ahve problems with this all the time. I hate the way I look, both in the mirror and pics. Mirror is better though most of the time. And maybe, just maybe sometimes i feel good about myself. But it doesn't really help. I still hate how i look and pity those who have to see me everyday and have to be seen in my precense.