Photo vs Mirror

shore_of_glass

First thread, be kind.... :D

Sometimes I look in the mirror and I kinda look good. So I go thinking "let's take a pic, shall we?".

Then, looking at the photo and the mirror, my face in the photo seems completely skewed compared to what I see in the mirror. Anyone else notice that? Really different.

Ofc it may have to do with the camera, our sight, etc, but I find it intriguing.

maybe not news for you, just decided to share.

Happens to me all the time. Sometimes when i see myself in a picture or on video it looks like a completely different person. I wonder sometimes if its just me, or does everyone go through that and some just feel better about themselves than others?

NewHorizons

A camera isn't as good at "seeing" as your eyeball is. If you know how to work with it you can get really great pics, but how many of us are expert photographers? :p

Yep, it is the most frustrating thing. I think this explains pretty well why it happens:

It is important to understand the difference between looking at someone with two eyes and through a single camera lens. With two eyes, the human brain is able to see the three dimensional aspects of someone's face, even when viewed directly from the front, and it gives much more information than most cameras. With a camera, the subject is viewed through a single lens, and thus much of the three dimensional qualities of the face are lost, and the face may seem narrower, less full, or with different proportions, especially when viewed at a close proximity. An interesting effect can be seen if one compares a close up picture of someone's face to a picture taken from twenty feet away from the same angle (particularly while directly facing the camera). The face will appear different in each picture, and the farther shot will give a better representation of the person's true three dimensional appearance. A more detailed explanation of this concept can be found in the US patent document for the "imaginograph."

Photogenic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, on this site you can see how different lighting can change the way look you in a pic: Main *Light *Distance

Last edited:
Yep, it is the most frustrating thing. I think this explains pretty well why it happens:

It is important to understand the difference between looking at someone with two eyes and through a single camera lens. With two eyes, the human brain is able to see the three dimensional aspects of someone's face, even when viewed directly from the front, and it gives much more information than most cameras. With a camera, the subject is viewed through a single lens, and thus much of the three dimensional qualities of the face are lost, and the face may seem narrower, less full, or with different proportions, especially when viewed at a close proximity. An interesting effect can be seen if one compares a close up picture of someone's face to a picture taken from twenty feet away from the same angle (particularly while directly facing the camera). The face will appear different in each picture, and the farther shot will give a better representation of the person's true three dimensional appearance. A more detailed explanation of this concept can be found in the US patent document for the "imaginograph."

Also, on this site you can see how different lighting can change the way look you in a pic: Main *Light *Distance

interesting, thanks for posting. i honestly just thought cameras were assholes

I hate the way the flash makes me appear even more pale then I am in real life. Especially when the photo is taken at night. I don't like anyone taking my photo at night unless the room is well lit.

Silvox Black

I believe that this is due to light distortion and how our eyes will tend to focus on certain features of our faces when we gaze at a mirror while a camera simply captures the image without particular focus. I personally hate both of them since I despise my appearance beyond belief.

rayray

yeah .. sometimes that happens ,all because of cameras flash light and stuff probably,i look totally pale when i take my pics in dark room.

i was wondering,just to not make another thread,but,Do you ever see yourself good when you see your reflection in one mirror,but then again,it seems bad in different mirror?maybe it's because of light or something?
Whenever this happens,i wonder,which reflection shall i trust,do i look good or bad,that's confusing.

Last edited:

shore_of_glass

very interesting, TheWall, I now see why I'm two different persons in the mirror and in the camera :p I hate being photographed ugh..

If the mirrors are all flat, I think the difference might only be in the light as you said, rayray. Sometimes I like poor lightning, shadows games etc, looks cool.

Jake123

Banned
You also have to take into account that the picture will be in reverse of what you're normally seeing. Flip the picture in a photo program horizontally, and it'll resemble more what you normally see in the mirror, though others will perceive you in the other way. This is why it's useful to have two mirrors, if you look at yourself inside two mirrors you can see your "true" self and it makes adjusting your hair or something easier to make you more symmetrical or figure out your best side as viewed by others.

mikestar

Banned

Cool reply, thanks

dooby-duck

I've noticed this as well. I can look in the mirror and look good, take a photo and it doesn't look right at all. I can never get a natural looking expression on a photo.

Pookah

true mirror: non-reversing mirrors

Too bad it costs like 150 bucks, I doubt it takes quite that much in materials/effort but he has cornered the market as I can't find anyone else that sells one. You can make one yourself except its with 2 mirrors at a 90 degree angle and there is an annoying seam in the middle that way.