phobia of throwing up?

agoraphobickatie

i feel like i have a phobia of throwing up.. i'm sorry if talking about this disgusts any of you!! :eek:mg:

i know no one "likes" throwing up, but i'm absolutely miserable when i'm nauseous and throwing up. no, it doesn't happen often, not even every year or anything. but the fear of it possibly happening gives me such panic and anxiety that it keeps me from getting out of the house. i fear that i'll be away from home somewhere and get nauseous and have to throw up and i won't be at home in my "safe zone" and i'll just be horribly miserable and want to freaking die. i can't explain it. yes, it's irrational and i know that it is. but when it comes time to leave the house (which is rare for me because of this and my anxiety) i start to panic and get anxious because of the fear, and then the panic makes me physically FEEL sick and then i'm like "oh i might actually throw up! cause i'm feeling sick now!" i've never thrown up from anxiety, but it's so hard to work through those feelings and make myself go wherever i'm supposed to go. i struggle with motivation and making myself do anything because i don't have any discipline, and because i just want to avoid the anxious feelings and the fear....

i don't really know if i'm asking for advice, or just if anyone has a similar fear or experience? i think it'd be helpful to know someone can relate =/ thanks guys..

I don't get panicky/etc about it, but i absolutely abhore throwing up - it's "hell" for me. Even if i feel a little naseus or "queasy", it makes me feel considerably uneasy. Unsure if it's to do with some "bad" experiences vomitting in the past (eg couldn't breathe between vomits, my panic attack, soiling house stuff) ... could possibly be.
Again, i don't have a phobia about it, but an extreme dislike (which makes me avoid it at all costs).

Kiwong

Well, it is an unpleasant thing to vomit, so I can imagine can make someone nauseous just thinking about it.

A while back I got a really bad chest infection. I coughed my lungs up, and then after each run I was violently sick. It was very unpleasant. Normally my stomach is quite strong.

EvilFlyingCow

I had a phobia of vomiting for the majority of my life. I think it started when I was in third grade and woke up early one morning and couldn't stop throwing up. It felt like I couldn't breathe and I was panicking.

I used to have panic attacks anytime I thought I was exposed to someone who vomited because I might catch their illness.

This fear gradually subsided later on as an adult through exposure because I became an alcoholic and had to throw up frequently from drinking too much.

I also developed a phobia around the age of 14 of being anywhere where I couldn't get a drink of water. I would go into complete panic mode if I found myself in a situation where I had no way of immediately getting a drink of water. This led to me carrying around water bottles or jugs anywhere I went to avoid having a panic attack.

Apparently, some of us are just more susceptible to having totally irrational phobias.

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

Yes, I know how you feel!
Throwing-up freaks me out a lot, and it's completely out of our control so when it happens it is scary and really embarrassing. When my anxiety is peaking I will worry about this particular activity. I will even go so far as to worry so much about it I will think I can make myself throw up just from the thought of it...then to my surprise thankfully, that never happens!

Yggdrarox

Due to having an intolerance to preservatives and additives in food as well as sensitivity to most chemicals I get sick at least once a month. It's horrible because a lot of times I don't know exactly what the cause is. I eat very bland foods most of the time but sometimes I'm shopping and I think "should I try this?" Eight out of ten times it's a bad food... I keep a box of ginger tea by my bed just in case.