People touching you

lilmutegirl

How do you feel about people touching you? Not in an intimate way--just like, brushing up against you, or touching your hair?
When I was younger, I had long hair and most of the other girls in my class liked to play with/braid it. I really enjoyed this (and still do like going to get my hair done). Even if somebody lightly touches me accidently, I tingle and think about it for awhile...
Today, I was sitting at work, and somebody came by and touched the top of my head, and it got me thinking about the weird, pleasurable sensation I get from these interactions. I have to like the person, though. Once, a co-worker touched my back to let me know she was behind me, and I freaked out, because I thought she was kinda weird and creepy.

theoutsider

Overall, I don't like being touched by strangers. If it's accidental, like brushing by me I don't mind. But if it's touching my hair or skin for some specific reason, I'd rather not have them do it. I don't even like pats on the shoulder that much. Once, I was a member of Toastmasters (don't ask me why a person with SA joined THAT group) and we were posing for a picture. The guy next to me put an arm over my shoulder in a buddy-buddy way. I was extremely uncomfortable and it showed in the picture. On the other hand, I like hugs but only from people I know.

Last edited:

PerseverareJasmine

I feel pretty similar to theoutsider about it. I don't like when strangers intentionally touch me (reminds me of this):
tumblr_n34w06917z1tqujqpo1_500.gif
, but if it's by accident I don't get that upset about it since sometimes things like that just happen.

I do sometimes get jumpy when someone I know touches me though, even if its a family member. Maybe it's because there wasn't really a lot of physical contact between my family growing up. I'm not sure. I guess I like to be able to sort of gauge when someone is about to touch me rather then it happening suddenly out of nowhere, because if it's sudden it makes me jump a little and react in a kind of "Whoa, what are you doing?" kind of way.

AtTheGates

Banned
I think if someone is weird and creepy then pretty much anything they do makes other people uncomfortable.....I would never even THINK of touching someone I dont even know but thats just me.

Last edited:
Guess I'm the odd one out so far (aside from the OP!) Like anyone I certainly don't want someone intentionally invading my space - whatever form that may take - but I don't mind someone touching my hand or hugging me or whatever as long as it's friendly (and I'm okay with the person). I actually like it because it gives me a sense of connection. If those love languages are true, mine is definitely touch.

I can relate, OP - other people's touch feels pleasant to me, too in a non-sexual way.

NamiraWilhelm

I hate having my personal space invaded. I have to be pretty close to someone to be okay with their touching me, in fact really I'm only okay with long term partners touching me since I get so attached (wrongly so) to them... I still flinch at family and friends.

NamiraWilhelm

A group of people were going to do that Zombie experience thing, getting chased by zombies then becoming one when you're caught. I basically didn't go because becoming a zombie would mean a make up person touching my face. That's an absolute no no. The mad flinch that results from people touching/attempting to touch my face plays havoc with my whiplash xD

Saying that though, I do still crave human touch. I can't remember the last time I had a hug....

Last edited:

lilmutegirl

My immediate family (parents, brother, and myself) was never very affectionate (physically or verbally). We hugged extended family upon visiting. My ex-husband's relatives hug me every time I leave them. My son and I snuggle a lot, and my boyfriend and I are almost constantly leaning on one another. My friends and I don't touch a lot,but on occasion, hug or touch in some way.

For me it depends on who the person is.
I like people touching me, but only if I have known them for a while.
A hand on my shoulder, being tickled once, hand on my back is ok as long as it is not a person I hardly know. Then I will move away from the person.
Although I don't like hugging with anyone outside of my immediate family. I find hugging too intense.

Ithior

I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't take long. If you put your hand on my shoulder and leave it there it's going to bother me.

Whoopdeedoo

I pay to be touched lol
Manicures/pedicures ,haircuts
Used to love massages when i had the cash for that
It feels good BUT Im shy about it because I need it so bad
And than i feel tremendous empathy for the person being paid to service me
So much that Its almost hard to enjoy

MotherWolff

Banned
How do you feel about people touching you? Not in an intimate way--just like, brushing up against you, or touching your hair?
When I was younger, I had long hair and most of the other girls in my class liked to play with/braid it. I really enjoyed this (and still do like going to get my hair done). Even if somebody lightly touches me accidently, I tingle and think about it for awhile...
Today, I was sitting at work, and somebody came by and touched the top of my head, and it got me thinking about the weird, pleasurable sensation I get from these interactions. I have to like the person, though. Once, a co-worker touched my back to let me know she was behind me, and I freaked out, because I thought she was kinda weird and creepy.

I feel likewise. This is often a sign of autism spectrum disorder.

dannyboy65

It all depends with me haha if someone brushes against me it lingers for a while and I keep thinking of it. But I am not one for hugs from people because I don't really hug anyone except my nanny haha

singing-love

Usually my answer would have been "I hate it, why must people touch me?!"
However, i'm really working on it, and it's improving. Church has really helped, mine is very loving so you arrive and everyone hugs you and kisses your cheek (like people you don't even know!) But I like it now actually. I still have certain times and circumstances where I cannot tolerate it, but i'm improving :)