people expecting you to hold a party

Flanscho

"Hey Flanscho, when's finally your housewarming party?" I get asked at times, even months after moving into my new flat. "Pfff, no party for you" I normally reply with a wink.

Or "Hey, ain't your birthday soon, in October? What's with a party?" And my reply is "uuuhm.... "

While birthday parties of other people are... acceptable for a limited duration, parties at my place? Oh god no. From other parties I can flee, when I want to be alone. From my own? Not so much. Not to mention the ever present thought "what if noone would show up". My best friend hat her birthday party recently, and she invited 70 people! And like 30 showed up. I would know a maximum of maybe 10 people to invite. Of which maybe three would show up. Or two.

On the other hand, I sometimes still think that it would be nice. But all those people in my new flat... in the place I got for the sole reason of having a private refuge, where only a select number of people visit me every now and then. A place of serenity and privacy and calmness. Where I can cook without people judging me when it turns out that the new recipe tastes like crap. Where I can take a bath for hours, run around naked or in a fluffy bathrobe. And imagining more than half a dozen people being there, all at once?

Not to mention that when I'm at someone elses party, there are nearly no expectations. I can be as quiet as I want to, or tell a story or I don't know, it doesn't matter. Once in a while a closer friend might come over and ask if I'm alright. But in my own flat? On my own party? How can decide there to be quiet, if I feel like that?

But then again... being alone on ones birthday is annoying too...

How do you people handle that?

Facethefear

I am exactly like you. If I had a party at my home I would have to stay around and could not escape. Don't like that at all. Having people in my space checking out my stuff? My head hurts. Waiting for the last one to leave? Feeling queasy.
I could not do it. It would have to be an imprompto gathering because planning to have my home invaded would be torture. You are not alone...except when you want to be.

Section_31

HAHAHA, yea right!!! id rather chew glass!!

i have no problem being brutally honest with people if politely honest doesnt suffice. Not happening!....

unless your female and cute ;). thats different.

HappySquidward

The reason people might be bugging you about having a party could possibly be because they already have gifts for you and are waiting for the right time to present them. Such as a party.

I'm not sure why your afraid only a few guests will arrive. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Besides it's more promising to invite 10 people than inviting 70, most of which you won't know.

If you don't know how to get a party started why don't ask a friend to help you out. I'm sure they'll help since they keep asking about it.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I have never meet anyone as invasive as to ask me if they can party in my house. I hope I never do.

Gaucho

one of the reasons I never gave a birthday party, being too scared none would like it