People don't understand what I'm saying

Sometimes people don't understand what I'm saying too. I think more practise against the mirror will help. Sometimes I'm practising what to say when I know that I will have to talk to someone soon, sometimes it helps.

Jannah

Banned
Sometimes I speak in a low voice, only because I don't like to shout or speak to loudly because I think that will attract attention. Also I think if I raise my voice it will be perceived as shouting or being mean. But when if people say "what" or excuse me" I will then say it louder. I'm soft spoken, and I kind of like it :) Loud people can be tacky and annoying.

AlleyCat

I'm very soft spoken too. My voice is really soft and people usually have a hard time hearing me as well... (drive-thrus are a nightmare for me) lol

I think meeting and talking with others who also have social anxiety can help a lot with practicing social skills. I feel much more comfortable talking with others that also have anxiety because I know they will not judge me or think any less of me whenever there are pauses in the conversation.

klytus

Sounds familiar. Most people don't understand me, because of my unclear articulation. I was told, too, that I tend to speak very fast. The fact that I don't like being loud only exacerbates this problem.

There's not much you could do about it, ZumasZika. Record your voice, listen to it, or let someone you trust listen to it, and do it as often as necessary to make it sufficiently understandable.

satstrn

Hey there,
I think the best thing is to a) practice in the mirror, and b) practice just saying hi how are you to people as clearly as possible. It'll help with your soft voice and you'll get lots of interest from guys who want to talk to you more! Practice practice practice!

NothingElseMatters

... 70% of the time I talk, people respond with "huh?", "what?" etc.

When I talk I speak low and not very clear because I'm anxious. I can't relax and hundrets of thoughts run through my head, so I can focus, and hardly remember what people tells me if I think about it afterwards.

Do you guys have any advice? :(

i have that too.some ppl won't even try to listen.i get the feeling that they do it on purpose.

becc

Hey yeah I used to mumble all the time, and I think it helps to open your mouth wider when you speak. When I was at my quietest I spoke without moving my mouth at all - which is quite a skill. When I am nervous I am rigid, my tongue doesn't move, ball in throat etc.. enunciation is going to be poor and you dont open your mouth to let the sound out and project. I find just concentrating on little things like opening my mouth helps me speak louder and clearer when I am nervous. So yeah watch what somebody who projects their voice does, and then do what Justas says and look at how you move your mouth when you speak in the mirror

And I know when I am nervous, that I am going to speak very softly, so I consciously make an effort to yell. People still say I am quiet when I think I am yelling.. so there is no harm

But I used to think people were ignoring me when I would say Hi, but I have discovered it was usually because I said it so quietly they didn't hear.
And in the end I just decided that it was worse to feel ignored or have to repeat myself because I spoke too quietly.. than the slight nervousness about making the effort to raise my voice. Just think about the mechanics and don't dwell on the fear!

Just make it a small goal, like "today I am going to say everything clearly and louder than normal."