paranoid when wearing clothing you wouldnt normally wear

slowmotiondaydream

today i went out in the afternoon to meet a friend, got dressed as you would and decided to put this top on with faded black pictures of roses on it (which looked rather nice but i don't usually wear things with patterns on it.. mainly just plain coloured tops) i walked out to catch a train to this friend and i knew in my mind this top was out of the original for me to wear. THEN all of sudden i felt paranoid that everyone was looking me because i had someone 'weird' looking on and thinking to themselves that it wasn't the sort of dress code everyone else had on.. hence i didnt really enjoy my night :(

does anyone else experience this sort of paranoia?

Looking_in105

definitely! and sometimes, clothes ive been wearing for ages i suddenly feel self conscious in. i feel so out of place, and constantly ask people 'do i look weird' 'does my clothes look ridiculous' etc.

i guess some of it stemmed from the fact that i had a "friend" who constantly criticised what i wore :( needed to cut those types of people out of my life...

Sinar_Matahari

I'm usually a pants/jeans woman so I get a bit paranoid when I'm wearing a skirt or dress. I attract a lot of attention when I do so that makes me worry that perhaps I look ridiculous even if I would never walk out of the house wearing something I wasn't sure looked good on me.

MaliceInWickedland

Absolutely. Sometimes I spend up to 30 minutes deciding on what to wear and when I finally pick something out, I second guess it and spend another 10 minutes or so trying to pick something out. The fact that it pisses off my mom (I don't blame her ::p:) makes it all the more nerve wracking and all that indecisiveness and pressure really gets to me until I decide not to go out at all in the end.

Giggity

I get the same way. I've recently changed the way I dress to try and give myself more confidence. It has just made me more paranoid. I feel like everyone is looking at me. Sometimes I drive home in the middle of something, just to change clothes.

slowmotiondaydream

i know.. like wise. sh*t thing is that it's only in your mind. the people around you see are just randoms off the streets that you wouldn't normally see again. it's as if you are deciding on their behalf what is acceptable clothing and what isn't in their eyes

Aussie_Lad

I'm usually a pants/jeans woman so I get a bit paranoid when I'm wearing a skirt or dress. I attract a lot of attention when I do so that makes me worry that perhaps I look ridiculous even if I would never walk out of the house wearing something I wasn't sure looked good on me.

Dresses and skirts are a lot more feminane than jeans, and a nice dress looks very flattering on a woman. You probably drew attention to yourself because you actually look good in a dress, as opposed to your thought that you look ridiculous.

3lefts

this is the reason I sometimes think out what I'll where the next day whilst falling asleep the night before. If one little thing isn't right about what I'm wearing I don't feel comfortable.
Yet, focusing on making it all right makes me more comfortable with things I wouldn't have been before. Hm.