Panic over death

For the last few months, I have been getting frequent panic attacks that come out of nowhere...and they are always the result of thinking about dying. I can just be fine, and I'll hear of someone dying on TV, or suddenly it will just dawn on me: "I can go at any time, and I have no way of knowing how, where, how old i'll be, how scared i'll be, how painful, etc." and I just get all panicky and terrified. It's the thought of how quick and unexpected it will be and then BOOM, you're just gone and everything goes black.

Then I start thinking about all the young people who die from freak accidents in a split second, and start thinking of all the freaky ways I could die, like being decapitated or something crazy, and it's like i can't breathe.

The thing is, I know that it's not worth worrying over because there's no way to stop it, I get that. And I never used to think about death this intensely, just in passing like normal people, but it just terrifies me now and i can't stop these panicky thoughts from occuring every few days. I know everyone is scared of death, but it literally gets debilitating for me lately.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Kustamogen

Banned
yah its definitely the kinda thing that if you start thinking about it....youre fukked!!! Its a bad spiral down...especially for those with anxiety issues!

social_phobia2008

You panick over death cause you belive death is horrifying and from what you said death is like Saw movie...if u imagine it like that yes it can be scarry.

Personally i think death is a new beggining. Death is only a limit, a border you pass. You dunno for sure if it is just blank beyound it. Some say about reincarnating, religion, for ex christianity says you go to heaven or hell. And im sure ill go to heaven if its like that.

That particular moment that terrifies you can last a split second like u said. It's more about whats beyound it that you should think about. One thing i know for sure, beyound it is not social phobia anymore, and im relieved to think that :)

Kustamogen

Banned
yah thats if youre religious.....for those that arent, death is scary and should be! haha Ill hold my tongue on the bible bashing.

cappatown

For the last few months, I have been getting frequent panic attacks that come out of nowhere...and they are always the result of thinking about dying. I can just be fine, and I'll hear of someone dying on TV, or suddenly it will just dawn on me: "I can go at any time, and I have no way of knowing how, where, how old i'll be, how scared i'll be, how painful, etc." and I just get all panicky and terrified. It's the thought of how quick and unexpected it will be and then BOOM, you're just gone and everything goes black.

Then I start thinking about all the young people who die from freak accidents in a split second, and start thinking of all the freaky ways I could die, like being decapitated or something crazy, and it's like i can't breathe.

The thing is, I know that it's not worth worrying over because there's no way to stop it, I get that. And I never used to think about death this intensely, just in passing like normal people, but it just terrifies me now and i can't stop these panicky thoughts from occuring every few days. I know everyone is scared of death, but it literally gets debilitating for me lately.

Wow so glad I'm not the only one. This is a recent thing too.. I think of all that stuff... even get scared of dying from nucleur bombs.. with how everything is going.
Then I get scared about if there is anything after death. Hmm...

Evesmoon

Its natural for everyone to feel frightened of what they don't know or understand well. You don't really die, physics, energy never dies it only changes form. Someday we will all give this body up for a new one, I happen to believe in reincarnation. If you just live in the present day, it will be your point of power, that all we really have, any of us anyway. But there are so many beautiful things in life. Like butterflies, we just change form and spread our wings and fly. I almost died of pneumonia, there was a tunnel and people waiting on the lighted end. It made me understand, though change can be scary, it is not always bad. I love life, but not so afraid of death. :)

Paahi

Before birth, we were dead. Maybe it's not that scary.

Last edited:

NickyNacker

I've been dealing with very similar thoughts. I turned 20 in April and I just got to thinking about how fast time really goes by the older you get and how one day everyone I love is going to die. I especially get depressed and anxious thinking about my mom dying one day.

toshtao

Dying to me is not a bad thing. In fact, it is the complete opposite. I believe in an afterlife, whether or not it is good or bad is uncertain to me though.

As you have said there is no point in worrying about it. We are all mortal and unless you find a way to stop aging you will eventually die.

Lea

Banned
I sometimes think of this: you see a newborn baby and in 10 -20 years, where is the baby?? It disappeared, didn´t it? Did it die? No, just changed. Into something completely different. We die every second, even during life. I have never experienced death but something makes me think it is not such a drama as we tend to believe.. it is a natural process.. But certainly it´s scary to loose what we think we are, our personality.

I have experienced dread once when I couldn´t breathe and though I would suffocate. At such times you realize that this body is kind of prison from which only escape is a painful death :(.

coyote

i think i would be panicked to learn that i had died

seems i'm always the last to get the word

WeirdyMcGee

I was told I'd die when I was 15.
For a few months, I feared death every moment of every day and eventually, I accepted it.
We'll all die eventually.

Now, my fear is that I'll never accomplish anything before I die but I suppose at the very least; I was born.
That's an accomplishment that some never get a chance to reach.

Ashiene

I'm not afraid of death. I see death as a rebirth. My corpse will become food for animals and insects, and when I return to the Earth as the base nutrients and minerals, I will become fertilizer for the plants and Nature will use whatever remains of my body to sustain its biosphere.

"To accept one's mortality is to be able to live without fear of one's inevitable death."

powerfulthoughts

It is important to live every minute of your life with purpose and appreciation. If you only obssess about death while you are living, then you give it more power over you than it should have. Reality is unchanged by worry, so stop the motion of your thoughts and just be calmly aware of your surroundings, the beauty of nature, and life itself. Thinking too much puts a veil over reality. Just be aware, relax, and appreciate things without letting your mind become a runaway train. Stop the flow, to make it come to a stand still. Just be aware.

Last edited:

How_slow_the_Wind

I used to panic about death when I was an adolescent but not so much as a young adult. It was about the exact time I turned 13 that I truly comprehended the finality of death, and it spooked me out hardcore. I even became quite religious for a little while from all the fearmongering of spending an eternity in hell that is shoved down your throat by religous folks. Now I am agnostic, and prospect of death dosen't frighten me because there is no possible way of comprehending what happens, so there is no use wasting your own life worrying about it. I do have a fear of experiencing the death of loved ones during my lifetime though.

YellowBird

if you'd like we can talk about this personally through private messages,i been through existential depression and i think i can help.

bcsr

Death doesn't really worry me. It's universal, the great equalizer.
I'm more worried about what I'm going to leave behind.

I have panic over another person killing me. I have a kind of catastrophic OCD and paranoia all mixed together. I have had it for several years now. I'm not sure if the topic is the issue but maybe just the panic itself. if you can figure out a way to detach the panic from the fears and thoughts of death then you will be o.k. you should desensitize yourself to the thoughts by exposing yourself. Think about them more until your anxiety subsides. This is called cognitive behavioral therapy.